[FIXED] Android packaging stopped working - cannot reinstall

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
James5a

[FIXED] Android packaging stopped working - cannot reinstall

#1 Post by James5a »

I have been using Ren'py successfully to develop a game for Android for a couple of months.
Last week I tried to build an android package to try a version of my game on my phone and Renpy asked me to install the SDK.
I don't know why as the SDK was already installed and working. I assumed it was because I had just started a new project.

Since then I get the following error when I try to build a package:

Code: Select all

Updating source code.

Updating build files.
Resolved location of library project to: C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\android-sdk-r22.6.2\extras\google\play_apk_expansion\downloader_library
Updated project.properties
Updated local.properties
Added file C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\build.xml
Updated file C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\proguard-project.txt

Creating assets directory.

Packaging internal data.

I'm using Ant to build the package.
Buildfile: C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\build.xml

-check-env:
 [checkenv] Android SDK Tools Revision 22.6.2
 [checkenv] Installed at C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\android-sdk-r22.6.2

-setup:
     [echo] Project Name: JamesTest1-v1.3
  [gettype] Project Type: Application

-pre-clean:

clean:

BUILD FAILED
C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\android-sdk-r22.6.2\tools\ant\build.xml:460: android-sdk/extras/google/play_apk_expansion/downloader_library resolve to a path with no project.properties file for project C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt

Total time: 0 seconds

I have tried re-installing the Android SDK numerous times. Each time it gets stuck with the line:

Installed GooglePlay Licensing Library, revision 2
Stopping ADB server succeeded

Then it just hangs and I have to shut down Ren'py as it does not respond.

I have tried deleting android-sdk-r22.6.2 on its own and also deleting all of the files starting with "android-sdk" in the rapt folder.

I even tried re-creating the whole Ren'py directory and trying to re-install but this gave my other problems initially then after a lot of messing about got me to the same position so I have gone back to the original copy of Ren'py and its folder.

Please can someone advise me. I feel like I have somehow got the SDK corrupted but cannot work out what files I need to remove to do a clean re-install.

James
Last edited by James5a on Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Android packaging has stopped working and I cannot reins

#2 Post by PyTom »

What does android.txt look like when the download fails?

I'd also try a reboot, in case there's an old android environment running somewhere.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

James5a

Re: Android packaging has stopped working and I cannot reins

#3 Post by James5a »

Thank you for the quick reply.

I've just tried deleting the two folders in the rapt directory which begin android-sdk then rebooted the computer as you suggest. This time the installation of the android sdk seemed to get slightly further

After the lines:

Installed Googleplay Licensing Libray, revision 2
Stopping ADB server succeeded

I got the additional lines

Starting ADB server succeeded (or something to that effect, cant remember exact wording)
6 packages installed correctly

Then the program locked up again. Build still not working.

Is there a copy of the log from installing the sdk kept somewhere? The only android.txt file I can find is in the tmp directory of the game folder. Trying a build after this most recent attempt gives an android.txt file as follows:

Code: Select all

Updating source code.

Updating build files.
Resolved location of library project to: C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\android-sdk-r22.6.2\extras\google\play_apk_expansion\downloader_library
Updated project.properties
Updated local.properties
Added file C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\build.xml
Updated file C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\proguard-project.txt

Creating assets directory.

Packaging internal data.

I'm using Ant to build the package.
Buildfile: C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\build.xml

-check-env:
 [checkenv] Android SDK Tools Revision 22.6.2
 [checkenv] Installed at C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\android-sdk-r22.6.2

-setup:
     [echo] Project Name: Isle2-v1
  [gettype] Project Type: Application

-pre-clean:

clean:

BUILD FAILED
C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt\android-sdk-r22.6.2\tools\ant\build.xml:460: android-sdk/extras/google/play_apk_expansion/downloader_library resolve to a path with no project.properties file for project C:\Users\James\Desktop\renpy-6.17.3-sdk\rapt

Total time: 1 second

The build seems to have failed.

James

James5a

[FIXED] Android packaging stopped working and I cannot reins

#4 Post by James5a »

After spending hours on this and countless variations on re-installing the android SDK I gave up and continued with my game on PC thinking that if I finally produce full game to place on Android I would do a full re-install of windows and that should let me get things back to how they were. In the mean time there was plenty of programming to do on my game dialogue.

Today however I checked for Ren'py updates and installed them. Just on the off chance I tried the Android packaging in case it had changed. I was asked to re-install the Android SDK and it all worked first time. No errors downloading and no problems packaging my game for Android.

No idea what went wrong but if anyone has had similar Android packaging problems its worth updating Ren'py and having another go. Version I installed which fixed things was 6.17.7.521

James