[Solved] Sounds don't stop looping on custom channels

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
lynn
Regular

[Solved] Sounds don't stop looping on custom channels

#1 Post by lynn »

My custom channels used to work fine. But suddenly any sound effect I play looping on a channel will keep on looping even if I call stop

Code: Select all

play ambient rain.ogg loop
stop ambient  ## does nothing
Also playing sounds on the same channel don't cause the other previous sound to stop. They seem to play simultaneously, even though this shouldn't happen.

play ambient rain.ogg loop  ## keeps on playing even through the next sound
play ambient test.ogg loop  ## does not overwrite previous sound
If I try to play the sound on the "sound" channel, it doesn't play at all

play sound rain.ogg once ## does nothing
stop sound  ## does nothing

play sound rain.ogg loop ## does nothing
stop sound  ## does nothing
Any idea what might have happened?

EDIT: I don't think anyone else would run into this issue unless you use a file sharing system to collaborate with others, but here's the solution just in case.
While I was condensing the project down, I managed to isolate the problem. I registered my custom audio channels in my options.rpy file. It seems that because my team collaborates on the project through google drive, a syncing issue created two versions of the options.rpyc file: options.rpyc and options (1).rpyc. Deleting all the options.rpyc files and allowing the program to generate a fresh options.rpyc file fixed the issue.
Last edited by lynn on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Sounds don't stop looping on custom channels

#2 Post by Alex »

And what about declaration of your channels and other customisations related to sound and music?

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#3 Post by Asceai »

This is incredibly odd and it sounds as though you may have managed to uncover a bug in Ren'Py.

Can you create a minimal Ren'Py project that exhibits these artifacts and upload it? Just copying your existing project and taking out everything that doesn't cause the problem should be sufficient.

lynn
Regular

#4 Post by lynn »

While I was condensing the project down, I managed to isolate the problem. I registered my custom audio channels in my options.rpy file. It seems that because my team collaborates on the project through google drive, a syncing issue created two versions of the options.rpyc file: options.rpyc and options (1).rpyc. Deleting all the options.rpyc files and allowing the program to generate a fresh options.rpyc file fixed the issue.

Sorry for the trouble! Thanks anyway for taking the time to answer. :)