Menu questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
pucedragonlord
Regular
Projects: The Diviner
Organization: Two Crowns Entertainment

Menu questions

#1 Post by pucedragonlord »

I've a few assorted menu-related questions:

Can I make the menu background transparent so some of the normal game screen shows, or will I have define custom main and save menus to do so? the "#hexhex" method doesn't leave room for alpha values.

I know I can use config.keymap['game_menu'].remove... to make right click and escape and such not open the save screen, but is there a way I can change which screen those buttons open? I'd love to be able to right-click to open a different, more frequently accessed screen, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

And out of little more than curiosity, what's the functional difference between Show and ShowMenu? Just whether it opens in the same or a new context, or is there something else going on, too?
The more you know

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Menu questions

#2 Post by xela »

pucedragonlord wrote:I've a few assorted menu-related questions:

Can I make the menu background transparent so some of the normal game screen shows, or will I have define custom main and save menus to do so? the "#hexhex" method doesn't leave room for alpha values.
You can and I don't know what the "#hexhex" method is and how it's preventing you to do it.
pucedragonlord wrote:I know I can use config.keymap['game_menu'].remove... to make right click and escape and such not open the save screen, but is there a way I can change which screen those buttons open? I'd love to be able to right-click to open a different, more frequently accessed screen, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
There are too many ways of getting it done, I use defining keybinds in screens as I am used to that way the most and it is very well suited for my game structure but it may not be the most preferable and prolly not the best... Ren'Py doesn't really go in sync with Python's "There should be one obvious way to do it" narrative, there are many ways to get almost anything done.
pucedragonlord wrote:And out of little more than curiosity, what's the functional difference between Show and ShowMenu? Just whether it opens in the same or a new context, or is there something else going on, too?
ShowMenu has a lot of logic behind it, it can be useful in some ways I guess (just like I was recently pointed out that define statement can be useful) but those are not really immediately apparent. Show just shows a screen at your request and Show is what you most like have to use if you want to have transparent background. One of the differences is that Return will have a slightly different behavior when using Show so you'd have to adjust just a little bit if you wish everything to function exactly as with using ShowMenu.

*There is more going on then just starting a new context like checking if you've opened it from the main menu or from the game, if there is a label that should be executed with the screen, some checks like stopping skipping, taking screenshots, supress overlays, clear events if need be, do a transition defined in config, if certain sounds should be activated and so on.
Like what we're doing? Support us at: