Game Concept: Could this be made with Ren'Py?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
wererat42
Regular

Game Concept: Could this be made with Ren'Py?

#1 Post by wererat42 »

I've got an idea for a game that has been rolling around in my head recently, and I was wondering if it would be feasible to make it with Ren'Py and if so, how difficult would it be. If a topic such as this needs to be moved to to a different forum, please let me know.

The basic concept is a game similar to Kantai Collection, except it would be using magical girls which I currently have divided into three categories, each having their own strengths and weaknesses. Characters would be summoned as cards with energy that replenishes over time, and duplicates of each card would be used to level the character and enhance their stats. I am also toying with the idea of each character's skills being acquired and leveled like this.

Each character would have a limit of times that they could be fielded against enemies: a "Homesickness Meter" if you will. When this gauge is maxed out, the character will be unavailable for battle and be sent back to their world for a number of turns. The purpose of their mechanic would primarily be to encourage players not to rely too heavily on a single set of characters, switch their party around, and try different strategies.

I'm currently uncertain of how battles would work, though it might be a grid-based system similar to Loren the Amazon Princess where characters can be placed in positions appropriate to their roles (melee/ranged/support).

There might also be an amity/enmity system, where certain characters are less likely to work well on the same team. Having two characters who are good friends on the same team might result in certain bonuses in combat, such as one character covering another if they are attacked. On the other hand, having characters who are not very compatible on the same team might be detrimental, though amity could potentially be improved through in-game events or simply having the characters fight together could help their teamwork over time.

My intent is to approach various artists on Lemmasoft and elsewhere to contribute artwork for each card. It would only require two images, one of the character in plain clothes, and another as a magical girl; no additional expression or poses necessary.

So in summary, a tactical card battle game with a fatigue system and affection points that have positive or negative effect on battle. Can it be done? I would have to either learn the coding myself or find someone to help me. How difficult is it to implement RPG systems? Has anything like this been attempted before? Was it successful or not? Depending on how much extra work would go into making their work in Ren'Py, I might have to investigate other avenues.

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Game Concept: Could this be made with Ren'Py?

#2 Post by xela »

Sounds perfectly doable. I don't know if something like this has been attempted before or not. In my experience, there will be less work with Ren'Py due to Python, screen language and ATL.

At the risk of sounding discouraging, you basically don't draw or code yourself? Are you a good writer with plans of a lot of decent story in the game?
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

wererat42
Regular

#3 Post by wererat42 »

xela wrote:Sounds perfectly doable. I don't know if something like this has been attempted before or not. In my experience, there will be less work with Ren'Py due to Python, screen language and ATL.

At the risk of sounding discouraging, you basically don't draw or code yourself? Are you a good writer with plans of a lot of decent story in the game?
Thanks for the reply, glad to hear that it's doable.

To answer your question, I don't code but I do write and draw. I currently have two ongoing works, one which is going on 30,000 words and another that is almost 25,000. As for my art, I do intend to illustrate a kinetic novel that I have in development (my main project.) I even have an art thread which contains concept art for that project, though no one has made any comment on whether it's good or bad or decent.

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by xela »

Damn... I can't draw and my writing isn't any good but my game is close to 30k lines of code (and only 5 - 6k lines of texts) :D

In any case, if you code well and optimize stuff as you go, there should be absolutely no issues with anything you described for the game in the front post.
Like what we're doing? Support us at: