Any ideas how I can create an internet browser GUI?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
RobertTene

Any ideas how I can create an internet browser GUI?

#1 Post by RobertTene »

I know that you can create GUIs in ren'py, but the GUI i'm looking to create is more...... different than most of them out there. I'm looking to create an interactive web browser inside my ren'py game. Specifically, I'm looking to create a game in which the user will be going through the story as he accesses different web pages through the web browser. I'll be making the player type the text input into the adress bar of the browser... but problem is, I have no idea where to start. So here are my questions: Can I make ren'py run html files? How do I create a text box which if the player types the correct input into it, it makes it go to the next page and advance the story?

I searched it all through the internet, your documentations included but all I found was how to input the protagonist's name. I'm really sorry for coming to help like this... truth be told, I'm more or less a complete newbie who just picked up ren'py a couple of days ago. But I'm determined to complete this, so if you guys would help me out here I'd more than just gratefull!

PS: I got the idea of this game system from playing DIGITAL: a tale of love. It has a very similar game system and is my current favorite vn.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

Re: Any ideas how I can create an internet browser GUI?

#2 Post by saguaro »

You can create something that looks like a browser with screen language. You would not want or need actual .html files.

If you were inspired by Digital, I'd recommend digging through the source and seeing how Love did it (I assume it is unarchived). She has another game called Don't Take it Personally... that has a social-network/pc interface you might also be interested in.

If that looks like Greek, the cookbook section has a message system and a bestiary that you may find useful as examples and as documented code you can pick apart and mess with.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=19295
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=25204

RobertTene

Re: Any ideas how I can create an internet browser GUI?

#3 Post by RobertTene »

The codes from the cookbook will definetly come in handy, especially the message system.
Great idea on checking out the source code btw, I figured it would be secured... but I guess I was wrong. My only problem with it is.... how in the hell will I find what I'm looking for within the thousand lines of code? xD

PS: Thanks alot for taking the time to help me out! Really appreciate it.