[Solved]Did something change in translation.py? TypeError :(

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
nintendotoad
Regular

[Solved]Did something change in translation.py? TypeError :(

#1 Post by nintendotoad »

Code: Select all

$ nvlcap = NVLCharacter(None, kind=nvl, ctc=anim.Blink("extra/arrow.png"))

Code: Select all

nvlmc "Oddly enough, the fact that I can't leave tells me that I am either in Heaven, Hell, or inside of my own head."
    nvls "How perceptive. I suppose that you know which of those three would be the most likely."
    nnvlmc "Clearly, I haven't died yet... actually, for the sake of argument, I should include that theory."
    $ answer_add(nvla(0, nvlq(None, "In front of me is an angel, this is Heaven.", "I wasn't good enough for Heaven; this is Hell.", 
        "Too good to be Hell and too bad to be Heaven; this is my head.", "There is no one else here; this is my head.")))
    nvlmc "I think I've figured it out. All right, new question..."

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=rzd2npqE
(This also happens on 6.17.7.521)

The basic idea is that I wanted a way to quickly write out and define questions being asked in NVL mode, and this worked for a time (even if the code itself is bad). After updating today however (it's been a while since I've updated my Ren'Py installation), the function no longer works as shown in the above traceback.

Help? (Oddly enough, nvlcap does get to say "his piece" before the crash; nvlmc however, never gets to say that he's figured it out.)
Last edited by nintendotoad on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Did something change in translation.py? TypeError :(

#2 Post by PyTom »

Yes, I think this is my problem.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

Actually, it looked like my problem from the traceback. But trying it in 6.18, I can't repeat it. So please put together a replication under 6.18, so I can look at it.

nintendotoad
Regular

#4 Post by nintendotoad »

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

In retrospect, the problem is clear.

You define nvla as a function, and then redefine it to be a character. Since the functions and characters live in the same namespace, this replaces nvla. The second time it is called, it's a character, and you get a (admittedly, barely relevant) crash.

Nesting things three function calls deep isn't really good coding style, since it makes it hard to figure out which function call is causing an exception. (This is more just to give voice to a lesson I learned a long time ago, but which is something that is usually learned the hard way.) It was only when I un-nested the function that the problem became clear.

Anyway, I've gone ahead and made Character check early for this problem, so it doesn't bite people again. All's well that ends well.