(Unsolved!!) Help. How to hide the textbox

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
csky
Regular
Completed: Perceptions of the Dead, Embers of Magic
Projects: Various Commissioned Artwork

(Unsolved!!) Help. How to hide the textbox

#1 Post by csky »

So I have been ruthlessly googling all over "How to hide the textbox in renpy" to no avail so I had to give in and find a forum to ask a question on. So I hope someone here can help me.

I want to hide the textbox during some scenes completely. I know about the $renpy.pause command but I can't really figure it out and how to do the job I want. Let me describe the scene to you.

I have a sort of animated intro scene (That shows the title and a couple of credits. The background for this is an image that slowly zooms out over the course of 20 seconds, so it is no static.

At the moment I have it, s every 3 seconds or so, the credits (currently txt but saved as png files) fade in and out until finally the title fades in and out and we get back to the game. The problem here though, is two things.
1. That obtrusive textbox is visible during that scene at the bottom. I don't want to see it.
2. This all happens in one go without clicking. If you click its going to skip it. I would rather have it, so with each click you show the next text sprite (these credits saved as png) rather than waiting for them to automatically load. However I still want the background to be constantly zooming out over the course of those 20 seconds. So each time you click it shows the next credit, but it doesn't affect the background and at the same time as this NO TEXTBOX in sight.

I will be eternally grateful for someone who can help me successfully.

(on a side note, what is the code for non-image text again? if you can think of a solution using that sort of text I don't mind. But it would have to have special fonts in it. ((I'm new to this still so...)))
Last edited by csky on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Help. How to hide the textbox and text and other questio

#2 Post by Donmai »

You just need to use

Code: Select all

window hide
and

window show
to hide/show the dialogue window.

To zoom the background you can use ATL (http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/atl.html# ... n-language).
Try something like

scene your image:
        truecenter zoom 1.5
        subpixel True
        linear 60.0 zoom 1.0
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

csky
Regular
Completed: Perceptions of the Dead, Embers of Magic
Projects: Various Commissioned Artwork

Re: Help. How to hide the textbox and text and other questio

#3 Post by csky »

I'm sorry but it didn't work at all! I tried that command but it didn't work for me.

SONTSE
Regular
Completed: 11 VN's so far
Discord: jkx0282_10798

Re: (Unsolved!!) Help. How to hide the textbox

#4 Post by SONTSE »

i'm not sure if it is right thing to do but at times like this i'm using Characters

define hide_textbox = Character(None,window_background=None)
when i call the Character - textbox hides and desired text appears (and if i don't want any text simply leave the quotes empty)

hide_textbox "Hello world"
    hide_textbox ""

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Alex »

You'd better show your current code to let people find the problem and explain it to you.

mjshi
Regular
Completed: MazeSite01, Ponderings of Time

#6 Post by mjshi »

Maybe put:
$ _window_during_transitions = False

just before the credits roll, so that the textbox isn't shown while fading in and out.

fluxus
Regular
Projects: Animal Anaesthesia (a teaching game)

#7 Post by fluxus »

'window hide' and 'window show' ought to work - I'm doing it often myself, switching between narration, backgrounds and user interaction.

You're using the splashscreen label for all this, right? Intro section before main menu gets up and running?
Paste in your code for that label (or whichever code is relevant) between code tags, and it'll be easier to pinpoint the trouble :>