Ren'Py 6.18.x Prereleases

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Ren'Py 6.18 Released

#16 Post by jack_norton »

I can confirm that the ATL bug I had is gone :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

storykween
Regular
Completed: Serafina's Saga, Quantum Conscience, Echoes of the Fey, miraclr - Divine Dating Sim
Organization: Woodsy Studio

Re: Ren'Py 6.18 Released

#17 Post by storykween »

Awesome; I can confirm that my game no longer freezes after pulling up an in-app purchase! Thank you!
My website: woodsy-studio.com

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py 6.18.x Prereleases

#18 Post by PyTom »

6.18.2.725)

I've uploaded a prerelease of Ren'Py 6.18.2, containing bug fixes and a number of small features I wanted to add to 6.18 before starting on the next major release. These include:
  • The define statement has grown the ability to define names in non-default stores.
  • The say statement now checks for the character name in store.character before the default store. This means one can do:

Code: Select all

define character.e = Character("Eileen")

label start:

# We can now use the e variable for some other purpose.
        $ e = 0

# While still using it to speak dialogue.
        e "Hello, world."

• The default image cache size has been increased to 16 screens worth of images.
  • The new crop_relative transform property modifies the crop transform property. When crop_relative is true, crop can take floating point numbers, which are interpreted as fractions of the width and height of the original image.
  • When set to false, the new keyboard_focus style property hides buttons, bars, and imagemap hotspots from the keyboard focus mechanism.
  • The Mousearea screen language statement now respects the focus_mask style property, making it possible to have non-rectangular mouseareas.
  • Ren'Py now includes functions that can be used to profile the memory consumption of a game, including the memory consumption of Ren'Py itself. These functions are renpy.profile_memory() and renpy.diff_memory(). The new renpy.profile_rollback() lets one more specifically see the memory consumption of the internal rollback log.
  • This release fixes a subtle bug caused by incorrect analysis of for loops in screen language screens, when the iteration variable is a constant. (For example, when the iteration variable is ``define``ed somewhere else in the game.)
  • DynamicDisplayable prediction has been improved.
  • We display an indicator when self-voicing is enabled, telling the user how to turn it off.
  • The Play action now only participates in the button selection mechanism when the channel is set to loop.
  • This fixes a crash that was caused by loading many non-JPG, non-PNG image files.
This prerelease can be downloaded by going into preferences, selecting the Prerelease channel, and choosing update, or by visiting:

http://www.renpy.org/dl/6.18.2

Informally, there were a lot less changes to existing code, as compared to 6.18.1. Still, if people could test this and let me know that it worked for you, I'd appreciate it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by jack_norton »

The character thing is very welcome :) but it works only if I define them with:

character.e
character.a
etc? or I can still use the "old method"?

$ ding = Character ('City Guard')
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by jack_norton »

Another question, the new keyboard_focus works only in style or I can also use it as parameter like:

ui.textbutton(u"Go back to main menu", clicked=ui.jumps("_return"),yminimum=60,xalign=.5,keyboard_focus=False)
(I still have some old code and too lazy to update it to new screen language :D)
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#21 Post by PyTom »

The old method sort of works. If you want, you can do:

init python in character:
    ding = Character('City Guard')
It works as a style property, but in your example you're passing it as a style property. Just remember, as of 6.18 ui functions can be much slower than screens.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom