Ren'Py Error with Android SDK after updating

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

Ren'Py Error with Android SDK after updating

#1 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

I recently updated from Ren'Py 6.17.6 to the most recent version (6.18-something), and while I was able to create Android distribution packages just fine before updating I now can't get Ren'Py to recognize the Android SDK. When I try to click "Install SDK and Create Keys" I get this error:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "launcher/game/android.rpy", line 569, in script
    python:
  File "launcher/game/android.rpy", line 571, in <module>
    rapt.install_sdk.install_sdk(AndroidInterface())
  File "launcher/game/android.rpy", line 258, in call
    if yes and self.yes_thread:
AttributeError: 'AndroidInterface' object has no attribute 'yes_thread'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "launcher/game/android.rpy", line 569, in script
    python:
  File "C:\Users\John\Desktop\RenpyUpdate\renpy-6.17.6-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 778, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\John\Desktop\RenpyUpdate\renpy-6.17.6-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "launcher/game/android.rpy", line 571, in <module>
    rapt.install_sdk.install_sdk(AndroidInterface())
  File "C:\Users\John\Desktop\RenpyUpdate\renpy-6.17.6-sdk\rapt\buildlib\rapt\install_sdk.py", line 254, in install_sdk
    get_packages(interface)
  File "C:\Users\John\Desktop\RenpyUpdate\renpy-6.17.6-sdk\rapt\buildlib\rapt\install_sdk.py", line 172, in get_packages
    if not run_slow(interface, plat.android, "update", "sdk", "-u", "-f", "-a", "-t", ",".join(packages), yes=True):
  File "C:\Users\John\Desktop\RenpyUpdate\renpy-6.17.6-sdk\rapt\buildlib\rapt\install_sdk.py", line 33, in run_slow
    interface.call(args, cancel=True, **kwargs)
  File "launcher/game/android.rpy", line 258, in call
    if yes and self.yes_thread:
AttributeError: 'AndroidInterface' object has no attribute 'yes_thread'

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.18.1.670
Ren'Py Launcher 6.18.1.670
So far I've tried closing and re-opening the Ren'Py launcher program, but that hasn't worked. I haven't tried re-installing Ren'Py and RAPT just yet, so if there isn't a simple fix that will probably be my next step. I'm not keen on re-installing the Android SDK after how long it took for me to set it up to work properly, but if I know exactly what to do to get it to work again I'll try that.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py Error with Android SDK after updating

#2 Post by PyTom »

Please try switching to the nightly channel (in preferences), updating, and installing again.

You may get an error, but it should be a different one. Also, send me the android.txt file found in your project's tmp directory.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran

#3 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

Downloading the update. In the meantime, this is what I found in the android.txt file in the tmp directory of the project I had selected when I tried to set up the Android SDK (I hope this is the right file/info):

I'm compiling a short test program, to see if you have a working JDK on your
system.

The JDK is present and working. Good!

Apache ANT has already been unpacked.

The Android SDK has already been unpacked.

I'm about to download and install the required Android packages. This might take a while.

Edit: After downloading the update, this is the android.txt that resulted from trying to install the Android SDK:

system.

I'm about to download and install the required Android packages. This might take a while.

I was unable to install the required Android packages.
Main Website

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#4 Post by PyTom »

Thanks. There's one of two problems here:

(1) Something is blocking your ability to get updates.
(2) I need to update the android SDK.

I'll figure out which it is tomorrow. For now, please switch back to the release channel. (You don't need to update, but I want to make sure you don't wind up on a random nightly by accident.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

Could you grab the 6.18.2.705 prerelease, found at:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 91#p342591

. This probably won't fix the problem, but it should include more information in android.txt, which will help me diagnose and fix the actual underlying issue. Getting updates worked for me, so the issue is likely something with your configuration, but it's possible I can make Ren'Py work around it.

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran

#6 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

I switched to the Prerelease channel, updated, and tried to run the Android SDK Install again. Here is what my android.txt says this time:

system.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "game/android.rpy", line 247, in call
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 896, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Main Website

Major Game Projects

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

Can you give me a list of files in the renpy-6.18.2-sdk/rapt/android-sdk-r23/tools directory? I especially want to know if android.bat is missing. If it exists, what happens when you run it?

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran

#8 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

My Ren'Py Install has the directory path [renpy-6.17.6-sdk\rapt\android-sdk-r23\tools] instead of [renpy-6.18.2-sdk/rapt/android-sdk-r23/tools] for some reason. Inside that tools directory I see the following items:

-apps (folder)
-lib (folder)
-support (folder)
-templates (folder)
-mksdcard.exe
-monkeyrunner.bat

The android.bat is definitely missing, and the SDK manager says so when I try to run it. However, the android.bat *does* exist in the filepath [renpy-6.17.6-sdk\rapt\android-sdk-r22.6.2\tools] and the SDK Manager in that set of folders works fine.
Main Website

Major Game Projects

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

Can you delete both android-sdk directories, and try again? Without the android.bat file, nothing will work. The newest Ren'Py's use r23, so the r22 sdk is now redundant.

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran

#10 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

I deleted both of the directories and the ZIP files they were extracted from and redownloaded. This is what the android..txt said when I tried again:

system.

I'm downloading the Android SDK. This might take a while.

I'm extracting the Android SDK.

I've finished unpacking the Android SDK.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "game/android.rpy", line 247, in call
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
  File "/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 896, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

For some reason, the android.bat wasn't extracted to the file. I checked the ZIP file and everything is there, but when I checked the extracted folder it only had the items I pointed out before. So for some reason it's not extracting the files properly, it seems.

I'm going to try to extract the SDK manually and see if that helps, since I'm not sure if the extraction is something that can be fixed on someone else's end. (Sometimes one of my playtesters for games made in a different engine can't open the self-extracting files even though they work fine for me.)

Edit: Manually extracting the new version of the SDK from the ZIP file to the folder seemed to solve my problem, since everything else went smoothly after the SDK was in the right folder with all its files intact. I'm suspecting that my problem had something to do with not properly extracting the SDK from inside the Ren'Py launcher.

Edit 2: Might be because I'm still on the Prerelease build, but when I tried to run the new build of the Android game on my phone it tried to access something from the Ren'Py install folder, which it couldn't find because it's on my computer and not my phone.

Edit 3: Just in case it's relevant, I'm going to try to re-create the error message when I try to run the game from my phone. (The game doesn't give an error on my computer, but it may have to do with the fact that my computer has the Ren'Py install.)

An exception has occurred.
While Running game code:
Exception: Could not find return label (u'/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/common/00start.rpy', 1397954519, 57).

Full traceback:
   File "00start.rpyc", line 81, in script
   File "C:\Users\John\Desktop\RenpyUpdate\renpy-6.17.6-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 1328, in execute
   File "C:\Users\John\Desktop\RenpyUpdate\renpy-6.17.6-sdk\renpy\exectution.py", line 391, in lookup_return
Exception: Could not find return label (u'/home/tom/ab/renpy/renpy/common/00start.rpy', 1397954519, 57).
I'm also still on the prerelease build from earlier, so that might be part of my problem.
Main Website

Major Game Projects

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran

#11 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

For some reason, updating to 6.18.2 (I think, whatever is most recent release version at the time of this post) fixed the errors I had when trying to load the game on my phone. I haven't tested to see if the SDK extracts from the launcher properly, though.
Main Website

Major Game Projects

carroll6
Regular

#12 Post by carroll6 »

Same exact problem here. I am eagerly awaiting the solution, please post it, when you solve it. I am getting lost with the Android SDK and Java. I have no clue how it works.

carroll6
Regular

#13 Post by carroll6 »

my build failed! Here are the errors:
C:\Users\David\Downloads\renpy-6.18.2-sdk\rapt\android-sdk-r23\tools\ant\build.xml:720: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Users\David\Downloads\renpy-6.18.2-sdk\rapt\android-sdk-r23\tools\ant\build.xml:734: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details. :(

This is not the whole output, of course.

On the Renpy Android Menu, . There are the items at the bottom of the menu
Other
" Remote ADB connect" and "Remote ADB disconnect" I did not use these. I don't know what they are yet.

Do I need ADB? I just started reading about it..barely understand it. Went to GooglePlay and there are numerous 'ADB' programs. Some use Wireless. Is there a recommended program? I saw a "Super ADB" program, it's in Beta. I don't want to start installing until I understand what is going on. :?:

Installed ADB..and most of the Android SDK "extras" got to learn this if I want to be a serious developer, at least able to compile and upload to Google Play. Dunno what to do next.. I'll try to compile it again. I am moving forward, but still don't understand exactly whats going on.

Here is some more..never could find the number for the HiSense Sero7 Pro Remote ADB
[javac] Compiling 39 source files to C:\Users\David\Downloads\renpy-6.18.2-sdk\rapt\bin\classes
[javac] warning: [options] source value 1.5 is obsolete and will be removed in a future release
[javac] warning: [options] target value 1.5 is obsolete and will be removed in a future release
[javac] warning: [options] To suppress warnings about obsolete options, use -Xlint:-options.
[javac] C:\Users\David\Downloads\renpy-6.18.2-sdk\rapt\src\org\renpy\android\DownloaderActivity.java:28: error: '.' expected
[javac] import asylum0.1.R;
[javac] ^
[javac] C:\Users\David\Downloads\renpy-6.18.2-sdk\rapt\gen\asylum0\1\BuildConfig.java:2: error: ';' expected
[javac] package asylum0.1;
[javac] ^
[javac] C:\Users\David\Downloads\renpy-6.18.2-sdk\rapt\gen\asylum0\1\R.java:8: error: ';' expected
[javac] package asylum0.1;
[javac] ^
[javac] 3 errors
[javac] 3 warnings

I am lost.

Got it to connect to remote ADB.. build still failed.. here's error codes:
[mergemanifest] Merging AndroidManifest files into one.
[mergemanifest] Manifest merger disabled. Using project manifest only.
[echo] Handling aidl files...
[aidl] Found 1 AIDL files.
[aidl] Compiling 1 AIDL files.
[echo] ----------
[echo] Handling RenderScript files...
[echo] ----------
[echo] Handling Resources...
[aapt] Generating resource IDs...
[aapt] C:\Users\David\Downloads\renpy-6.18.2-sdk\rapt\bin\AndroidManifest.xml:2: error: Error: Float types not allowed (at 'versionCode' with value '0.1').

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#14 Post by PyTom »

It's a bad package name. You shouldn't include numbers in your package name.

carroll6
Regular

#15 Post by carroll6 »

Hey that was it I would have NEVER guessed it. Now..when I build it on the Android there is a bunch of errors.

It cannot find the font that I used, which was Droid Sans. AND.. it cannot find many of the image files.

What did I do wrong? SOME of the image files are there, but others are not, and it is generating a whole bunch of errors.

It's like I missed something..can't put my finger on it. A whole bunch of errors, but a few things show up. It is a simple, test game.

Man it is giving me a fit. Now ANT won't build the game on my Mobile device. It's connected with ADB.

Edit: Well.. if I uninstall Renpy will I lose the Android Key that was generated? That is what is tempting now.. to just uninstall and try over again. I also never put anything on the tablet..no files to configure Renpy on the SD card, nothing, just tried to launch it. I'm afraid I will delete something important for GooglePlay if I just erase the Renpy directory.

Edit: got Ant to compile it. BUT.. a bunch of errors.. "can't find Asylumfront.jpg" (this is one of 2 pictures used in the test build.) Dunno how to copy the error text on the Android Tablet so I can post it here. All of the images reside in the game directory.. no subdirectories or anything.
Last edited by carroll6 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:56 am, edited 4 times in total.