Characters' names don't appear after changing default font

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
chiBuchiPace

Characters' names don't appear after changing default font

#1 Post by chiBuchiPace »

Hello, I'm new here and I have a problem when I changed the default font in Options.rpy. The menu and everything else turned out fine except for the characters' names that do not appear. I use MSMINCHO.TTF. I would really appreciate your help! TT-TT
printscreen.png
It looks like that... There are four different characters and their names changed to dots, lines and spaces.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: Characters' names don't appear after changing default fo

#2 Post by OokamiKasumi »

chiBuchiPace wrote:Hello, I'm new here and I have a problem when I changed the default font in Options.rpy. The menu and everything else turned out fine except for the characters' names that do not appear. I use MSMINCHO.TTF. I would really appreciate your help! TT-TT

It looks like that... There are four different characters and their names changed to dots, lines and spaces.
If you want to change only the font of the Character names, add this bit of code right under your Text code in options.rpy:

Code: Select all

style say_label:
    font "MSMINCHO.TTF"    
    # bold False #Sometimes a font looks like crap when it's bold. Take off the # to make it NOT bold. 
    outlines [(1, "#330000", 0, 0)] 

## Adds a shadow one pixel to the right and one pixel down
    drop_shadow [(2, 2)] 
    drop_shadow_color "#333333"
If you Don't want the outlines or drop shadows on your Names, just add a # in front of the line.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

chiBuchiPace

#3 Post by chiBuchiPace »

If you want to change only the font of the Character names, add this bit of code right under your Text code in options.rpy:

Code: Select all

style say_label:
    font "MSMINCHO.TTF"    
    # bold False #Sometimes a font looks like crap when it's bold. Take off the # to make it NOT bold. 
    outlines [(1, "#330000", 0, 0)] 

## Adds a shadow one pixel to the right and one pixel down
    drop_shadow [(2, 2)] 
    drop_shadow_color "#333333"
If you Don't want the outlines or drop shadows on your Names, just add a # in front of the line.
It says "Parsing the script failed. File "game/options.rpy", line 149: invalid syntax style say_label -> :" (there's a little red arrow)
But it seems to me that character names really don't appear when I use MSMINCHO, I tried changing font to another and the character names appeared.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Alex »

Put this code at the very beginning of the script in options.rpy or at the very bottom of it to be sure that it wouldn't be inside of init python block (where all the usual stuff is).