[SOLVED]help playing voices

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
c8terade

[SOLVED]help playing voices

#1 Post by c8terade »

So I'm adding small voice clips to various dialogue sections in my game, but I'm really unsure of what to do. I get that I enter my voices in like so:

Code: Select all

voice "voicefile.mp3"
"this is a voice."
but when I run it, it doesn't play. Then I found out that I had to create channels, but I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work. Could someone shed some light on the situation?
Last edited by c8terade on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheChris
Regular
Projects: Stickshooter
Deviantart: innocencecanceller

Re: help playing voices

#2 Post by TheChris »

c8terade wrote:So I'm adding small voice clips to various dialogue sections in my game, but I'm really unsure of what to do. I get that I enter my voices in like so:

Code: Select all

voice "voicefile.mp3"
"this is a voice."
but when I run it, it doesn't play. Then I found out that I had to create channels, but I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work. Could someone shed some light on the situation?
The only suggestion I can think of is to try using either a .wav or .ogg instead. You shouldn't need to create new channels since the voice already has it's own channel.

c8terade

#3 Post by c8terade »

TheChris wrote:The only suggestion I can think of is to try using either a .wav or .ogg instead. You shouldn't need to create new channels since the voice already has it's own channel.
Nope, that doesn't work either. I think there has to be something else, but I'm not sure how to write it out.

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

#4 Post by Milkymalk »

Did you perhaps change the volume for voices inside the game options or in the code? Seems trivial, but sometimes simple things like that are overlooked.
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

c8terade

#5 Post by c8terade »

Milkymalk wrote:Did you perhaps change the volume for voices inside the game options or in the code? Seems trivial, but sometimes simple things like that are overlooked.
I found the problem; the option for voices was set to false in options.rpy. It works now!