Likely random choices and taking away random choices

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column
Projects: Ethereal Overflow
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

Likely random choices and taking away random choices

#1 Post by SelLi »

Hello all, I haven't posted in this section for quite a while.

Lately I've been thinking about having random choices in my VN more, as no one is fully in control of things or other people.

How can one have more likely and less likely random choices? And, can one have the likelihood of random choices increase/decrease depending on other things that happen in the game? Also, can random choices be removed?

Say there was a 50% chance for Ed to go to the cafe, and a 30% chance of him going to the park, and a 20% chance of him visiting grandma, and Ed ends up going to the cafe. The rest of the game proceeds going in that direction.

Then, after playing through the game, the player starts a new game and- thanks to persistent data(?)- it remembers that the cafe was chosen last time and removes that as an option. Now, Ed only has a chance of going to the park or visiting grandma.

Then, after playing through the game three times, none of the choices would be a possibility anymore, so instead of making a random choice, the player can choose anything they want via a menu, with no chance involved.

I'm sorry for coming out of nowhere and dumping so many questions on you... but I appreciate your help, and thank you. :)

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Likely random choices and taking away random choices

#2 Post by Alex »

You already know the answers for most of your questions...;) And check this - http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/coo ... han_others

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column
Projects: Ethereal Overflow
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

Re: Likely random choices and taking away random choices

#3 Post by SelLi »

Alex wrote:You already know the answers for most of your questions...;) And check this - http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/coo ... han_others
Thanks ^_^
Yeah I'm pretty sure I knew a lot of this stuff before, but I haven't been coding for quite a while and I've since forgotten it. I can just take time routing through some of the old files I have and check out the code, though.
Thanks for the link and your patience. I never completely got how to do the more likely random thing.