Can Ren'Py support Kinect sensor (X-box) device?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Zenarch
Deviantart: zenixue

Can Ren'Py support Kinect sensor (X-box) device?

#1 Post by Zenarch »

Hi guys, I'm new to VN-making, and planning on making a VN using Kinect device for my Masters (Multimedia) Studies.
I know Microsoft already have provided their own software Kinect for Windows Software Development Kit (Kinect SDK). But I don't think Kinect SDK does have "easy-automatic features for making VN" because it called "Natural User Interface" (NUI) instead of Graphic User Interface (GUI) because there will be NO DIRECT CONTACT between the user/player with the device (either touching ANYTHING like mouse, tap or swap - tablet, smartphone, kiosk or whatever too many to mentioned for GUI).
SO
I really need to know either Ren'Py does support Kinect sensor device, or if not then perhaps kindly suggest me another software that support NUI. Thanks!! :)

P/S: Any other journal/article/proceeding/theses/or other reliable source like official website or popular VN author, etc. regarding VN also wanted, and I really appreciate it!! :D

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Can Ren'Py support Kinect sensor (X-box) device?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Not directly.

There is a feature in Ren'Py that lets you create your own events, and pass them to Ren'Py. So if you had a program that could read the kinect and turn it into things that Ren'PY could understand - up, down, left, right, dismiss, etc. - you could wrap that program and pass its output into Ren'Py.

Alternatively, I'd be willing to accept patches that would let Ren'Py wrap kinect. I don't plan to do the work myself, since I don't see this being a popular feature, as it requires specialized equipment.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Zenarch

#3 Post by Zenarch »

PyTom wrote: if you had a program that could read the kinect and turn it into things that Ren'PY could understand - up, down, left, right, dismiss, etc. - you could wrap that program and pass its output into Ren'Py.
You seem to get it reverse. I asking if Ren'Py could be read by Kinect device. Can Kinect device recognize Ren'Py. Perhaps this is the clear question I should post, still same meaning.
PyTom wrote: Alternatively, I'd be willing to accept patches that would let Ren'Py wrap kinect. I don't plan to do the work myself, since I don't see this being a popular feature, as it requires specialized equipment.
I know it's not popular, and my studies is for a certain case in a certain places for a certain reason. Thanks for the offers btw :)

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#4 Post by Laiska »

Zenarch wrote:
PyTom wrote: if you had a program that could read the kinect and turn it into things that Ren'PY could understand - up, down, left, right, dismiss, etc. - you could wrap that program and pass its output into Ren'Py.
You seem to get it reverse. I asking if Ren'Py could be read by Kinect device. Can Kinect device recognize Ren'Py. Perhaps this is the clear question I should post, still same meaning.
I think you need to research the capabilities of the Kinect more, and how it interfaces with a PC. There is no direct connection to the Kinect, which is simply an apparatus one can use to control a computer or computer program, and said computer program itself, until you program in the connections. Neither Ren'py nor the Kinect would come preprogrammed with the coding needed to interface with one another. Basically you will have to determine what they need to connect with one another and build that connection yourself.

What exactly is it that you are trying to get a Kinect to do, in terms of a VN. What kind of motion data are you hoping to interpret, and how will that input relate to a visual novel?

Zenarch

#5 Post by Zenarch »

Laiska wrote:
Zenarch wrote:
I think you need to research the capabilities of the Kinect more, and how it interfaces with a PC. There is no direct connection to the Kinect, which is simply an apparatus one can use to control a computer or computer program, and said computer program itself, until you program in the connections. Neither Ren'py nor the Kinect would come preprogrammed with the coding needed to interface with one another. Basically you will have to determine what they need to connect with one another and build that connection yourself.

What exactly is it that you are trying to get a Kinect to do, in terms of a VN. What kind of motion data are you hoping to interpret, and how will that input relate to a visual novel?
Thank you for detail explanations. Now i know what admin trying to say. Oh gosh looks like i need to do phd like this... Nvm i will try to discuss with my supervisor first, cuz im making edutainment vn. Thank you both of you.