Save Game Screenshot Showing Save Screen?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Save Game Screenshot Showing Save Screen?

#1 Post by qirien »

Hello again! I hope you can help me with a problem I'm having. When I save games, it normally shows the screenshot of where someone is in the game. But when I save games on a certain screen, it doesn't take a screenshot of that screen, but instead includes a screenshot of the save game screen (or the "Are you sure you want to overwrite this saved game" screen if I overwrite one). Is there a variable or something I need to set on my screen to show that it is screenshottable, or something like that? I couldn't find anything on the Screen Language documentation.

I tried including

Code: Select all

$ FileTakeScreenshot()
in my screen code, but that didn't change anything.
Finished games:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Save Game Screenshot Showing Save Screen?

#2 Post by PyTom »

First, off, you never want to invoke an action like that, using $ - it will run at random times, and not do what you want.

Can you give an example of your code, including the code that invokes the save screen? You want to invoke the code in the action that enters the save screen.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Re: Save Game Screenshot Showing Save Screen?

#3 Post by qirien »

Yeah, I didn't think that statement made sense (since it will run every time the screen is refreshed, right?), but I don't know where else to put it, since I am right-clicking to enter the save menu, so I didn't write the code that brings it up and do not know where it is.

I've seen this happen both with the large project I'm working on and the DSE. And, after some more testing, I notice that I usually only see this behavior when I save the game really quickly (perhaps before it has a chance to take a screenshot?). Other times, it takes the screenshot just fine. So maybe this is something that users won't notice, and just shows up during testing... :? I tried to make a simpler test but couldn't reproduce it.

So I guess I will continue to watch this, and if I find a better way to reproduce it, I will let you know. Thanks for looking at it!
Finished games: