Remembering menu choices without persistent variables?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
-Ren-
Projects: Shade

Remembering menu choices without persistent variables?

#1 Post by -Ren- »

Hello!

I'm having a problem! :(
The game I'm working on currently operates on a chapter -> chapter basis, where the user must play through one chapter to unlock the other (for release purposes). But I'm having a problem with user choices being remembered after the user has returned to the chapter selection screen after playing through a chapter.

I have tried using persistent data, but this brings up some issues, mainly with if the user selects both options (re-rolling, ect...) the results of said choices get messed up further down the line. This also prevents the user from having multiple play-through's going at the same time.

Is there a way to do this without using persistent variables?

Thanks!

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Remembering menu choices without persistent variables?

#2 Post by philat »

Have the chapter selection screen be part of the game...? Is there a reason you would HAVE to pull it out of a saveable part of gameplay and into the start menu?

-Ren-
Projects: Shade

Re: Remembering menu choices without persistent variables?

#3 Post by -Ren- »

philat wrote:Have the chapter selection screen be part of the game...? Is there a reason you would HAVE to pull it out of a saveable part of gameplay and into the start menu?
I'm embarrassed to admit I hadn't though of doing it that way!
I'll give it a try, thanks :)