Adding an extra scenes section?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Omega_93
Regular

Adding an extra scenes section?

#1 Post by Omega_93 »

I had the idea of, when the player completes the main game, they'll be able to go into an 'extras' section and be able to play through other VN style scenes related to the events of the game.
Unfortunately, I haven't the first idea how I'd go about doing this. Any suggestions?

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Adding an extra scenes section?

#2 Post by philat »

This is a very broad topic. Are you asking how to make a screen? How to jump to a label? How to unlock an extras section using variables? It's pretty difficult to answer without narrowing it down.

FWIW, if you go dig around the Renpy cookbook section there's probably a lot there that will be helpful.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Adding an extra scenes section?

#3 Post by SundownKid »

To make the actual section you have to at the very least add a new button to the main menu, and then make a new screen that features your list of extra scenes buttons. You will have to put the buttons within a conditional branch so they only unlock when the variable is set to true.

To start the extra scene you will need to use the Start action and point it directly to the specific label that begins the extra scene.