Self Voicing, what_alt?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

Self Voicing, what_alt?

#1 Post by wyverngem »

I'm using self voicing in a new project for a friend of mine and was wondering if there was a way to automatically set in a defined character to read the character's name only when speaking after another person or initially?

I've been using the what_alt to add "says" to the characters dialogue before they speak. So when I write.

e "Hi Jill! What are you up to today?"
show eileen happy
e "You won't believe it. There was a rainbow out my window this morning."

The player hears; Eileen says "Hi Jill! What are you up to today?" Eileen says "You won't believe it. There was a rainbow out my window this morning."

I'd like to take out the second "Eileen says". I can take out the "what_alt" with a new defined character, but self voicing will still read the name. Any ideas?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Self Voicing, what_alt?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Right now, there isn't a good way to do this. Self voicing is set up to read what's on the screen (using alt if necessary), rather than to read some sort of logical script.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

Re: Self Voicing, what_alt?

#3 Post by wyverngem »

Thanks, I'll see what I can do to work around it. :) It's going to be a fun challenge.