Realistic walking (moveout) animation

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
crimsonnight
Veteran

Realistic walking (moveout) animation

#1 Post by crimsonnight »

Instead of a character sliding out of view, is there code that can create a somewhat realistic walking/bobbing animation? I tried using the code outlined in this topic: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=16604 but I'm getting the following error when it tries to execute it: 'Parameter 'new_widget' is not known by ATL transform'. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Realistic walking (moveout) animation

#2 Post by Donmai »

This error occurs when you try to use an ATL transform as if it were a transition. Instead of with, try using at and it should work.

Edit: here is a transform that will simulate "walk". It is a bit comical, though, be warned. You can easily adjust it to move any character in or out the screen:

Code: Select all

transform walk:
    xalign 1.2 # the initial position. In this case out of screen, to the right.
    parallel:
        ease 3.0 xalign 0.5 # will take 3 sec to make it to the final pos (center of the screen, in this case)
    parallel:
        block:
            ease 0.07 yoffset 15 # will move the character up and down while he's "walking"
            ease 0.21 yoffset 0
            repeat 9 # number of "steps". May be adjusted
        yoffset 0
To make the character walk out, just invert the initial and final positions. To make him enter from the left, just gave him an initial position < than zero. Hope you got the idea.

Remember to use it with

Code: Select all

show name_of_your_sprite at walk
I suggest you create the transforms walkinright, walkinleft, walkoutright and walkoutleft. Have fun.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

crimsonnight
Veteran

#3 Post by crimsonnight »

Cheers, that's stopped the error, but the animation doesn't seem to be triggering, my character just disappears?
Last edited by crimsonnight on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#4 Post by Donmai »

It isn't clear to me if you are referring to saguaro's transform or the one I suggested. In any case, use show at to move a figure offscreen. You can hide it after the transform finishes, or simply start a new scene, which will clear everything.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

crimsonnight
Veteran

#5 Post by crimsonnight »

Donmai wrote:It isn't clear to me if you are referring to saguaro's transform or the one I suggested. In any case, use show at to move a figure offscreen. You can hide it after the transform finishes, or simply start a new scene, which will clear everything.
My bad, you're right, I misread your previous message, forgot to change 'hide' to 'show'. You're animation works great, thanks a lot - hopefully other people will benefit from it too :)
alwaysthesamebluesky.com