How to show a side image most of the time? (SOLVED)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Shades of Night
Regular
Tumblr: serilyn
Deviantart: shadesofnight

How to show a side image most of the time? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Shades of Night »

I've managed to get a side image working to show my main character on the left side of the screen above my textbox... But that image only shows when the character associated with it speaks. I want it to stay showing while other characters are speaking and during narration.

Currently I'm using

Code: Select all

define h = Character('Hazel', image="mainc")
and

image side mainc = ("TTBtempC2.png")
to get it to show.

Is there something I can change or another way to do this so that the image will stay showing?
Last edited by Shades of Night on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: How to show a side image most of the time?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but if you want an image to be up all the time--i.e. not tied to who is speaking--why don't you just show the image like you'd show any other image and just place it where you currently have your side image?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#3 Post by Donmai »

If you decide to simply show the image, as trooper suggested, remember that it will appear under your UI elements. If you want it to appear over your dialogue box like a normal side image, try using show onlayer. I haven't tested it, but something like

show eileen onlayer overlay at left
should do.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by philat »

You can also edit the say screen, in case you don't want to show and hide the image to adjust for whether the say screen is visible or not. The say screen uses a function to determine whether and which side image should be displayed, but you can edit it to just add the main character's image.

Shades of Night
Regular
Tumblr: serilyn
Deviantart: shadesofnight

#5 Post by Shades of Night »

Yep, the way my textbox is I do need to have the image appearing over the textbox.

Okay, tried show onlayer and it does show, but seems to vanish after a few seconds- Actually, I just took the image out of the speaking characters define thing and now the onlayer image doesn't vanish after a few seconds, however it does go as soon as a character starts speaking (my first line is narration).

So the say screen, let's see...

I've changed side_image=None to side_image=True and have

if side_image:
        add "TTBtempC2.png" xalign 0.0 yalign 1.0
To point to the image. It seems to be doing the same thing that the onlayer image was doing, vanishing a few seconds after I've started- hmm, results appear to be mixed. If I move the mouse as soon as I press start then the side image vanishes. If I leave it still for a bit first then the image stays. If it stays then it does the same thing as the onlayer image and vanishes as soon as someone starts talking.

Edit: Ah, I may not have saved the file when I switched from the onlayer image to say screen. Just did and now no image appears (so I'm guessing the above was the onlayer image still being there). Guessing that side_image=None needs to be something other than True? (since it says None and not False as the default).

Edit edit: Finally! Found a way to do it <3 I found this post which has a problem with exactly what I want to do. So I popped 'config.side_image_tag = "felenoira"' of the problem code in, and it works! My side image is staying there during narration and other characters speaking :D