Imagebuttons or textbuttons?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Luxliev
Veteran
Soundcloud: Luxliev

Imagebuttons or textbuttons?

#1 Post by Luxliev »

Is there any reason to choose imagebuttons over textbuttons if so in what scenario? So far I checked both and it seems that if just want to make button textbutton seems superior. Both can use ATL and both can look fancy (if you'll make good frame for textbutton).

Textbutton advantage over imagebutton seems to be that I can add any custom text I want without making seperate imagebutton for every different text content (text can also look very nice on textbutton with good font) so it could save me a lot of time.
Newest classical cover: Advance Wars - Sami Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=657Jt7hJRVc

Forum with my music: http://luxliev.proboards.com/

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

Re: Imagebuttons or textbuttons?

#2 Post by Zetsubou »

I can see imagebuttons being more attractive for artists. Very little coding, and you know it'll look like your beautiful artwork.
They're also easier for novices to position; if you put a few buttons on a transparent background that's the same size as your game, it'll show exactly where you want it.
In addition to that, it can be lighter to pack a few images rather than including a variety of fonts, though this varies a lot.

On the flip side, textbuttons are way more flexible, especially if you know how to style them. Once I discovered there were hover_ and selected_ parameters for pretty much everything, I removed all of my imagebuttons.
textbuttons are great for making changes (edit some text rather than opening Photoshop), they're easy to duplicate, you can save space by reusing single images, and you can support multiple languages without creating dozens of new images.

So textbuttons are great for those who like to tinker and don't mind ctrl+R'ing a lot while coding, but for people who just want a simple button that looks exactly like their drawing, imagebuttons seem much quicker & simpler.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games