how to write script about translation voice acting?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
drblackcat

how to write script about translation voice acting?

#1 Post by drblackcat »

i am already have a self made two-language game by using the translation function, but i have a problem about if i want add voice acting about two languages and should be in-game swichable, what should i do now? :D
thank you.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: how to write script about translation voice acting?

#2 Post by Donmai »

Never really thought about that before (maybe because I don't like VNs with voice acting) but thinking how Ren'Py translation works, I'm assuming that if you have a 'voice' folder with voice recordings for the game default language, and you make for example a Spanish version, then you'll just need to create another 'voice' folder with the Spanish voice recordings and put it inside game/tl/Spanish. Switching languages should also switch voice acting.
You can always do some tests.
http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/translati ... anslations
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: how to write script about translation voice acting?

#3 Post by xavimat »

You can use "auto_voice" defining a function.
If your original language is English, you can define it this way:

Code: Select all

init python:
    def the_voice(identifier):
        if _preferences.language is None:
            return "voice/english/" + identifier + ".ogg"
        else:
            return "voice/" + _preferences.language + "/" + identifier + ".ogg"

config.auto_voice = the_voice
Then, in the "game" folder add a "voice" folder and, inside, two folders "english" and your other language (actually, you can add as many folders as languages your game have).
Ren'Py'll try to find in the correct folder the files named according to the explanation here: http://renpy.org/doc/html/voice.html#automatic-voice

EDIT: What Donmai says works for images (when you have text in the image that needs to be translated). But I think it doesn't with auto_voice if you don't define the function (I've never tried).
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)