Lint and side images

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

Lint and side images

#1 Post by yuucie »

I've had this problem before on an old project, but now that I'm starting a new one from scratch it baffles me that it's still here.

Lint is turning up errors for side images. I have no idea why, because to my knowledge, everything looks to be correct. The side images are showing up fine ingame.

Lint report:

game/script.rpy:293 Could not find image (e wor1) corresponding to attributes on say statement.

game/script.rpy:305 Could not find image (e wor1) corresponding to attributes on say statement.

game/script.rpy:313 Could not find image (e sur1) corresponding to attributes on say statement.

game/script.rpy:319 Could not find image (e ser1) corresponding to attributes on say statement.

game/script.rpy:323 Could not find image (e wor1) corresponding to attributes on say statement.

etc etc.

My code for side images:

Code: Select all

image side e neu1:
    "sprites/8neu1.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e neu2:
    "sprites/8neu2.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e neu3:
    "sprites/8neu1b.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e ang1:
    "sprites/8ang1.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
The defining character line:

define e = DynamicCharacter("eight_name", color="#ffffff", show_two_window=True, image="e", show_side_xalign=-0.01, show_side_yalign=1.9)

The offending script lines:

e wor1 "(Huh? When did she get there?)"

e sur1 "“Excuse me?”"
I tried looking through past posts, but no one seemed to have figured out why. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem with side images too.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

Re: Lint and side images

#2 Post by Zetsubou »

Unless there are more definitions you haven't shown, the issue seems to be that you don't have corresponding side images for the various expressions.
ie. upon running the line

e wor1 "(Huh? When did she get there?)"
the game looks for the side image "side e wor1", which hasn't been defined.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

yuucie
Regular

#3 Post by yuucie »

Thanks for the reply! It's part of the defining character line, more specifically

define e = DynamicCharacter("eight_name", color="#ffffff", show_two_window=True, image="e", show_side_xalign=-0.01, show_side_yalign=1.9)
where image="e" asks the definition to look for images with the "e" tag and assign it as a side image. The documentation I'm using is here: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/side_image.html which, according to it, seems like it should work?

EDIT Oops, read your question wrong. No, I defined all the images already; there's just too many to list.

The full list:

image side e neu1:
    "sprites/8neu1.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e neu2:
    "sprites/8neu2.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e neu3:
    "sprites/8neu1b.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e ang1:
    "sprites/8ang1.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e ang2:
    "sprites/8ang2.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e hap:
    "sprites/8hap1.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e sad1:
    "sprites/8sad1.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e sad2:
    "sprites/8sad2.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e ser1:
    "sprites/8ser1.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e ser2:
    "sprites/8ser2.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e sur1:
    "sprites/8sur1.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e sur2:
    "sprites/8sur2.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e wor1:
    "sprites/8wor1.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8
image side e wor2:
    "sprites/8wor2.png"
    yanchor 0.5 ypos 0.8

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Zetsubou »

Hm, in that case, unless it's a bug in lint itself, the only explanation I could see would be the obvious: that some of the defined images (the actual PNG files) are misnamed or completely missing. eg. If the file supposed to be at sprites/8wor1.png was actually sprites/8wor1.jpg or sprites/8wor.png.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

yuucie
Regular

#5 Post by yuucie »

Thanks again for your reply! It's not the case of mistyped addresses, or the images won't show up ingame. The images are showing up fine; the problem is Lint, that is telling me there's an error when it's working. :(

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#6 Post by Harliqueen »

I'm having this exact same error as well, Lint states there is an error with the side image not being defined or not finding it for say statement. But the images are showing up perfectly. This is causing an error in game, saying image isn't found in red text when it is showing just fine.

I read it has something to do with defining main sprite and side sprite, but when I do that (or double up the sprites- one as image side and another as just image) then the side sprite won't show at all.

Sorry to jump in on this thread, it's just I was hoping for an answer to this too and didn't want to start whole new thread on it :D
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Zetsubou »

Harliqueen wrote:I'm having this exact same error as well, Lint states there is an error with the side image not being defined or not finding it for say statement. But the images are showing up perfectly. This is causing an error in game, saying image isn't found in red text when it is showing just fine.

I read it has something to do with defining main sprite and side sprite, but when I do that (or double up the sprites- one as image side and another as just image) then the side sprite won't show at all.

Sorry to jump in on this thread, it's just I was hoping for an answer to this too and didn't want to start whole new thread on it :D
yuucie didn't mention the error showing up in-game, only in lint. Perhaps your error is different? (Though your own thread with more info would be needed to determine that)
Finished games

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2