Bink Format Support and Parental Control

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AdelReiser
Tumblr: AionReiser
Deviantart: AdelReiser
Soundcloud: AdelReiser

Bink Format Support and Parental Control

#1 Post by AdelReiser »

Hello everybody, how is going over here? First of all, I'm Adel, I'm newbie over here, I know Ren'Py since 2010, I've doing a little proyect but I have a couple of issues.

First of all, I'll like to make an Opening Scene, pretty cute, but the movie formats supported by Ren'Py are pretty... Heavy, so I'll like to know anyway to attach support for Bink Videos

As many of you should know, but if you didn't I'll tell you anyway.

Bink is a proprietary video file format (extension .bik) developed by RAD Game Tools, and primarily used for full-motion video sequences in video games. It has been used in over 6200 games for Windows, Mac OS, Xbox 360, Xbox, GameCube, Wii, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, Dreamcast, Nintendo DS, and Sony PSP. The format includes its own video and audio codecs, supporting resolutions from 320×240 all the way up to high definition video.

RAD Game Tools offer the Bink format under a relatively unique licensing agreement, where the tools are provided for free and can be incorporated into a game for free providing the Bink logo is displayed. To remove the logo requires a licence fee to be paid.

Thanks Wikipedia for making me the explanition very easy.

The cute part of bik format, is that the gorgeous quality in a tiny (pretty much less than 10mb) file, that is pretty much why I'll like to use it for the Opening and Ending Scenes (maybe some cutscenes too)

The other thing is...

I'll like to add in my VN Adult Content (Hard against the wall and Pretty Much Violent Scenes) but I don't want to make them obligatory for the story, I want the people have the option in the settings to enable and disable these scenes, I would like to know "How".

And that is for now hehehe

Sorry for my bad english, and I'll like to thanks those who read this topic, thank you, even if you can't help, thanks for the troubles of reading

Greetings.

Pippin123
Regular

Re: Bink Format Support and Parental Control

#2 Post by Pippin123 »

The Parental Control issue is probably as simple as creating a global Variable

Code: Select all

$ Adult_Content=False
then at game start, and/or under your settings add a choice:

menu:
    "Do you want to enable adult content ?"
    "Yes":
        $ Adult_Content=True
    "No":
        $ Adult_Content=False
Then during the course of the game, you can censor the offending scenes with "if Adult_Content:"

eg:

"he kissed her lightly on the cheek"
if Adult_Content:
    jump sex_scene
else:
   jump cuddling 

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

You can see the movie formats supported here: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.html

Currently it doesn't support Bink. I think since it's an open source engine Pytom focused more on free codecs, so you would have to petition him about it.

AdelReiser

#4 Post by AdelReiser »

@Pippin123

Thank you very much, that was very helpfull!

@SundownKid Well I knew about those are extremly heavy, thats why I'd like to use bink format that is free to use if you put their logo in your game, but I'd like to know how to add the support on the game since they just say "contact your game maker" D:

AxemRed
Veteran

#5 Post by AxemRed »

What is 'extremely heavy' supposed to mean in the context of video codecs?

AdelReiser

#6 Post by AdelReiser »

@AxemRed making 60 seconds max video in 250mb or more... that's what I meant.

AxemRed
Veteran

#7 Post by AxemRed »

250MB/30s corresponds to a bitrate of 66.67Mbit/s which is absurdly high for a modern video codec. You seem to be grossly underestimating the efficiency of h.264 and WebM -- both are capable of encoding good looking 1080p video in a tenth of that.

AdelReiser

#8 Post by AdelReiser »

Uhm, then I'll do some research to see what can I do about it, thank you very much for the information.