Getting Ios files onto an iphone?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
astrokeofmadness
Regular
Completed: AAA:Book 1
Projects: A Stroke of Apprehension

Getting Ios files onto an iphone?

#1 Post by astrokeofmadness »

I can't seem to find a way to test the files created by the- Create ios release option

I have tried renaming the folder to ___.app then putting it into a Payload folder, and putting that into a zip renamed ___.ipa and installing that via appcake, but this gives an error on install.

I tried using the ___.ipa created from itunes and it also didn't install.

I've also tried the drop the .app folder into applications and restart method.

(I have a jailbroken ios7)

Is the only way to get it to install via xcode? Because that will be a huge pain to get setup... virtual console osx... and all that annoying jazz...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Getting Ios files onto an iphone?

#2 Post by PyTom »

I have no idea how to do it on a jailbroken device. For the regular device, I just load the project into xcode, build it, and then xcode install it on the device.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#3 Post by astrokeofmadness »

PyTom wrote:I have no idea how to do it on a jailbroken device. For the regular device, I just load the project into xcode, build it, and then xcode install it on the device.
Alright thanks, I guess I'll have to setup a virtual machine at some point to test it... really hate when something major like app development is platform specific, really dumb on Apples part.

But it really should be doable to make it work on a jailbroken device without xcode, I'm probably just missing some detail.

JackMacWindows
Github: MCJack123

#4 Post by JackMacWindows »

I have done this many times, and it is not too hard. I actually went through this just a week ago. But it does take a few steps to do.

All iOS apps have to be signed to run on an actual device. Signing an app shows that the app is valid and is verified by a trustable company (Apple). The Simulator does not need apps to be signed, though, as the simulator is designed to be for people who want to test it quickly. But to sign your app, you can't be some ordinary person (according to Apple's strict policies). You need to get a signing certificate to sign your app. If you sign up for a Apple Developer account, you can get a temporary one that expires in a week to test your app. But this will have to be trusted by the device manually, and you cannot use this certificate to publish to the App Store.

First, you need to make sure you have the latest version of Xcode (version ≥7.0) and iOS (version ≥9.0). You should already have both.
Next, if you haven't yet, sign up for a free developer account at Apple at http://developer.apple.com/. You DO NOT need to buy the $100-a-year plan unless you are going to put this app on the App Store. The free account is enough for now.
Once you have signed up, sign into Xcode in Xcode » Preferences » Accounts. Once signed in, it should look like Fig. 1.
Next, plug in your iOS device and go back to your project. If you select the targets, you should see your iOS device above, as in Fig. 2.

You might be tempted to click "Run", but it won't work. You will get the error shown in Fig. 3. This is because we need a signing certificate! If you already clicked "Run", that's OK. Skip the next step, and you will be up to date with the instructions 8).

Now click on your .xcodeproj file (at the top), and select the app (with the stencil/application-style A) under Targets in the sidebar.
Click "Fix Issue" to generate your profile. It will ask which team to use. Just select the Personal Team under your name.
Now you can click "Run", and it will install to your device!
But first you need to trust the app. Go into Settings once the app has installed (Xcode will tell you that it can't run the app) and go to General » (Profiles &) Device Management » (Your Apple ID), and tap "Trust". Once you tap trust, you can run your app!

Figure 1: Xcode Accounts screen
Xcode Accounts screen
Xcode Accounts screen
Figure 2: Device in Target Selector
Device in Target Selector
Device in Target Selector
Figure 3: No Provisioning Profiles error
No Provisioning Profiles error
No Provisioning Profiles error
There you go! Your app will stay installed on your device, and it will be trusted for the next week. But the certificate does expire after that week, and you will need to click "Fix Issue" and run the app again to renew the certificate. I hope this helped you, even though it has been a while since you created this topic. Have fun with your app on your device!

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#5 Post by astrokeofmadness »

JackMacWindows wrote:I have done this many times, and it is not too hard. I actually went through this just a week ago. But it does take a few steps to do.

There you go! Your app will stay installed on your device, and it will be trusted for the next week. But the certificate does expire after that week, and you will need to click "Fix Issue" and run the app again to renew the certificate. I hope this helped you, even though it has been a while since you created this topic. Have fun with your app on your device!
Thanks for the tips, I've managed to do it once back when I posted this, but can't seem to do it anymore.

I don't own a Mac, so have to virtual machine it to do this. I upgraded my cpu to haswell recently and the virtual machine refuses to let me install the necessary OS now. So its literally impossible for me atm, searched far and wide and none of the various methods to get it to install properly seem to work. It just hangs at about 50%.