[SOLVED] how to increase space between lines of text?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
renoa-heartilly
Regular
Completed: مقهى الضائعون, Arabic Translations for Ren'py, Pretty Please
Projects: حور, BB project, dentist drama
Organization: stanza studio (creative circle)

[SOLVED] how to increase space between lines of text?

#1 Post by renoa-heartilly »

hello everyone :mrgreen: sorry for asking such a noob question
i've searched, but only found style adjustment answers in the cookbook, google search, and here
what i want to do is give two lines of text a little bit more room, because in arabic the accents on letters look cluttered when they are this close together, and it can't be read that well.
sample_text.jpg
maybe it's easy and i couldn't find it, all i could find was the margin and padding for the window itself (the graphic box, with spaces on the inside and outside) and the spacing between two letters horizontally.
is it possible to increase the space between two lines so the reader can see the accents through renpy?
or do i need to replace the Dejavu font with something with bigger line spacing? (is that even in the font properties?)

thank you very much and sorry if it's been already answered! please direct me to the appropriate thread if it exists! :D
Last edited by renoa-heartilly on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: how to incewase space between lines of text?

#2 Post by philat »

No worries. Sometimes it's hard to know what to search for. http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style_pro ... ne_spacing

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

So...to answer your question, I had to figure out how to do it myself.
So, what I'll do here is tell you the process I went through so you can reproduce the process yourself if need to do more things.

So first thing I did was create a test project with some multiline text. One being said by a character, and one by the narrator.

Code: Select all

label start:
    scene black
    "Welcome to INSERT NAME HERE WHEN I THINK OF ONE!\n
     Welcome to INSERT NAME HERE WHEN I THINK OF ONE!\n
     Welcome to INSERT NAME HERE WHEN I THINK OF ONE!"
    c "Welcome to INSERT NAME HERE WHEN I THINK OF ONE!\n
     Welcome to INSERT NAME HERE WHEN I THINK OF ONE!"
    "First I need to know if you identify as a boy or a girl."
Then I went back to the documentation...specifically the pages on styles and style properties.
Styles: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style.html#
Style Properties: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style_properties.html#

Looking at style properties, I noting the line_spacing property...so all I need to do is increase the line spacing of the style of my text. But...what is that style?
The Style Inspector section of the Styles page (http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style.htm ... -inspector) says:
When config.developer is true, the style inspector can be used to see which styles are being used by a displayable.

To activate the style inspector, place the mouse over a displayable, and press shift+I. Ren'Py will display a list of displayables that include the mouse position, in the order they are drawn to the screen. (That is, the last displayable is the one on top of the others.)

Click the name of a style to display the styles the displayable inherits from, and the properties each style contributes the to the final displayable.
So I loaded up my test game and opened the style inspector for the narrator text and for the character text. It turns out that the narrator text uses the say_thought style and the text said by a character uses the say_dialogue style. So, in the sections of the screens.rpy file that deals with the say screen (though you could put it anywhere), I put this:

init -2:
    style say_thought:
        line_spacing 20
    style say_dialogue:
        line_spacing 20
That did it.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

renoa-heartilly
Regular

#4 Post by renoa-heartilly »

philat wrote:No worries. Sometimes it's hard to know what to search for. http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/style_pro ... ne_spacing
thank you very much! i can't believe i couldn't find that line in my initial search :oops:
trooper6 wrote:So...to answer your question, I had to figure out how to do it myself.
aaah thank you so much for going through all that! i'll try to replicate the results this evening when i get the chance :mrgreen:

renoa-heartilly
Regular

Re: [SOLVED] how to increase space between lines of text?

#5 Post by renoa-heartilly »

hello trooper6 i used your method and it's working great!
to me the styles i needed to change were say_dialogue and nvl_dialogue
the problem of loading the accents on a line that hasnt appeared yet is still there, but at least now it's not as annoying as when they were mistaken for the words that has already appeared (because they were so close)
the lines i added to line 60 of screens.rpy turned out like this:

init -2:
    style nvl_dialogue:
        line_spacing 10
    style say_dialogue:
        line_spacing 10    
so thank you very much!