Icons not working? [SOLVED!]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Icons not working? [SOLVED!]

#1 Post by sasquatchii »

Hi! While working on my game, I've been trying to figure out how to get the icons to work just right. I've added the icon as "icon.png", "icon.ico", and "icon.icns" to my base folder.

Thankfully, the game's icon works once you unzip the build and view it in the folder (pictured below)

However, when the game is actually up, all I get are the default ren'py icons (of Eileen with the python around her neck) and also the default icon windows uses, which I've circled in red.

Does anyone know how I can remedy this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, apologies for the duplicate post. I accidentally submitted this to the creator discussion forum instead of on here. If the mods would be so kind as to remove the other post, I would really appreciate that as well.

As someone in the other thread pointed out, there have been other discussions about this already, such as http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =8&t=32873
which I have read at length before coming here to ask.

I have tried saving my game under different build names since windows caches things like this, but that did not work.

I also tried adding config.window_icon = "icon.png" to the options file, but got an error "could not find icon.png". I double checked to make sure icon.png was in the specified folder, which it was. I also tried redirecting it to other folders but that didn't work either!

So yeah, I'm pretty stumped on this one :(
Last edited by sasquatchii on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

Re: Icons not working?

#2 Post by ScottySeng »

Hmm, what converter did you use for the .ico file the first time? The .png is 32 x 32 right? It should work.

After some playing around, you have to put the icon file in the game folder (I myself got the icon.ico not found error too). That's strange, usually it is the base folder.

korova
Veteran
Completed: Ivy, Chocolate, Time, Clair Obscur
Projects: Writing exercises, The House [Nano18]
Tumblr: korova08
itch: korova

#3 Post by korova »

I think you can use this

config.window_icon = None

If not None, this is expected to be the filename of an image giving an icon that is used for the window on Linux and Mac OS X. This should be a large image, with 8-bit alpha.

This should generally be a PNG format file.

config.windows_icon = None

If not None, this is expected to be the filename of an image giving an icon that is used for the window on Windows. This should be a 32x32 image with 1-bit alpha. (Opaque images work the best.)

This should be a PNG format file.
Source = http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/config.html

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#4 Post by sasquatchii »

ScottySeng wrote:Hmm, what converter did you use for the .ico file the first time? The .png is 32 x 32 right? It should work.

After some playing around, you have to put the icon file in the game folder (I myself got the icon.ico not found error too). That's strange, usually it is the base folder.
korova wrote:I think you can use this

config.window_icon = None

If not None, this is expected to be the filename of an image giving an icon that is used for the window on Linux and Mac OS X. This should be a large image, with 8-bit alpha.

This should generally be a PNG format file.

config.windows_icon = None

If not None, this is expected to be the filename of an image giving an icon that is used for the window on Windows. This should be a 32x32 image with 1-bit alpha. (Opaque images work the best.)

This should be a PNG format file.
Source = http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/config.html
Thank you both!! This is what I was missing in order for the icons to work (which was not specifically mentioned in the threads I looked at!)

It's working now!! :D
ImageImage