In-App Purchasing questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Leto

In-App Purchasing questions

#1 Post by Leto »

Hello,

I'm currently trying to implement an in-app option in my game who's expected to be on Google Play and Android devices. The purchases consists on story arcs (3 at the moment but I intend to add further on) that you need to pay after playing the Prologue, which is free.

However, I just can't figure the next step of the implementation.

I've set up a Google Developer Account, get the iap.register and iap.purchase working (kind of) but when I get to the payment screen. I get this.

Screenshot
(It says "Authentication needed. Please log into your Google account", I don't think there's error with my phone but I cannot understand why is there that message specifically)

So I think I need to set up some things like the price but how do I do that ? The prologue of the game would be free, so I set up the game as free in the Google Developers Console but I don't see anywhere where to put in-app purchases prices. Or do I have to put them in Ren'Py but where and how ? iap.price results in crash and doesn't seem to be exactly what I need.

Also, as I have three story arc to pay (separately), how do I implement that ? My first guess would be to make three iap.register and check with iap.has_purchased individually but what do I need to write in the iap.register(product, identifier, google) exactly ? The same thing as all of this is in the same apk ? (I mean, all the text is in one single apk, the in-app serve as a "barrier" to unlock it).

I'm sorry if this question is more google-related but there's some balance between ren'py and the google service that I fail to understand. I also apologise if there's any mistake in my post, I'm not english-native.

Thanks in advance.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

Re: In-App Purchasing questions

#2 Post by Steamgirl »

I'm probably not going to be of much help, but since nobody else replied I thought I'd at least try!

Did the game work without the in-app purchases or are you getting this error no matter what?

The authentication needed screen reminds me of how you need to be logged in to you google account to be able to make a purchase. Have you been able to purchase in other apps?
Maybe you need to be logged in with your developer account in order for it to accept you as a legitimate testing user? Maybe the developer panel lets you set which accounts are allowed to have access? Maybe the app needs to be in a special "sandbox" mode somewhere? (I have never seen the developer panel, so I don't know, but I've worked for games companies before that used other systems so it's an educated guess).

Also, this blog post may or may not be helpful: http://traumendes-madchen.com/blog/?p=1292

Good luck!

Jibus
Regular

Re: In-App Purchasing questions

#3 Post by Jibus »

You have to setup your in-app product in the "Produits intégrés à l'application" section (a google wallet account will be required). Then use the id of the in-app product in your game.