Say_who_window and the text box

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Vemocleus

Say_who_window and the text box

#1 Post by Vemocleus »

Forgive my incredible noobness, I just started with Renpy. I'm using a custom textbox that has room at the top for a name during dialogue. I used the say_who_window to create a 2nd box for the name, made the window blank (So It's just a floating name) and I placed it where it needs to be. However, the name (say_who_window) ends up BEHIND the main text box, and therefore, obscured by the very spot it's supposed to be in. Can I make it so the say who window is above the textbox or is there another more obvious solution to my problem I'm completely missing?

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Say_who_window and the text box

#2 Post by philat »

If you don't need a separate background for the name box, I don't think you even need to mess with two window. The following is a relatively simple way to use the one window variant to do what you want.

Code: Select all

if who:
                text who id "who" xpos 50 ypos 50 # adjust numbers as necessary
            else:
                text " " # ensures that there's a blank space even if there is no speaking character

Vemocleus

Re: Say_who_window and the text box

#3 Post by Vemocleus »

Although I had to hunt a bit for where to insert this, it worked perfectly. Thank you very much. I knew there had to be a simpler way to do it, but I'm still trying to get a good grasp on the fundamentals. Thanks again!