Side Image Question

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
BlueLakeKylie

Re: Side Image Question

#16 Post by BlueLakeKylie »

Thank you so much… it finally works!

cmk_
Tumblr: crowneavn

Re: Side Image Question

#17 Post by cmk_ »

Mammon wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:24 pm I've actually asked a similar question just a while back in 'how to work with layers in side-image[Solved]'. I was given several solutions until I got one that worked, so you could try and read through that topic for a few ideas.

The best way to prevent your image appearing behind the textbox would be to, as Xela already said, restyling the say window. In layman terms; Take the .png image of the box your text appears in during your VN and literally just erase the problematic part. Or go to Creative commons and find a custom made textbox without the part that appears in front of your image.

Alternatively, you could use the same solution I got for my problem: make your side image supercede all the layers of screens. You can do this by going to options.rpy and add this line: (ml is the custom layer I added)

Code: Select all

config.layers = [ 'master', 'transient', 'screens', 'ml', 'overlay' ]
Next, add an anchor point in script.rpy

transform corner:
     xalign 0.0, yalign 1.0
And then, customise the textbox padding to prevent the side image of overlapping the text by changing the following in options.rpy:

## Padding is space inside the window, where the background is
    ## drawn.

style.window.left_padding = 206
    # style.window.right_padding = 6
    # style.window.top_padding = 6
    # style.window.bottom_padding = 6
and then show your side image as a normal image rather than a side image like:

show rmsmile at corner onlayer ml
This should allow you to make your character appear at all times. Unfortunately I'm being literal when I'm saying ALWAYS; see image.

This solution should solve your problem. However, I cannot recommend it due to the massive amount of work it requires in terms of coding. You said you only have thirteen side images? Then stick to the regular side image techniques that Ren'py already offers. The only reason I'm using this technique is because I have over 15000 different combinations for my character. (It sounds like more than it really is.)
You are my savior! I've been aching my brain over this and it wouldn't work with others solution but yours is magic it workkedd!!!