How do I define my variables and more specifically where?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DictatorKitten
Deviantart: KittenRazorBlades

How do I define my variables and more specifically where?

#1 Post by DictatorKitten »

I keep reading tutorials on how to define variables, but I haven't quite familiarized myself with ren'py enough to know where to define the variables( do I define them like I define characters or do I define them in a python block?), how to set variables, and how to write if statements. I basically know how to begin a python block, and that is the limit of my knowledge. I think I managed to set user input well, but I'd really appreciate help.

Futhermore, if it helps at all, I need number variables for an affection meter!

Iylae
Regular

Re: How do I define my variables and more specifically where

#2 Post by Iylae »

There's enough questions in here to direct you to the documentation: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/

Any line that begins with a $ or is in a python: block is python code. Everything not in this is RenPy. Variables can be defined when you require them. I suggest you work your way through the examples in the "Getting Started" example of the documentation.
  If we are what we repeatedly do, then good coding is not an act, but a habit

DictatorKitten

#3 Post by DictatorKitten »

Iylae wrote:There's enough questions in here to direct you to the documentation: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/

Any line that begins with a $ or is in a python: block is python code. Everything not in this is RenPy. Variables can be defined when you require them. I suggest you work your way through the examples in the "Getting Started" example of the documentation.
I read the Ren'py documentation on variables already, that's why I came here. I didn't understand it :3/

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by xela »

Really? Docs are very clear on the variables definitions. Best way is simply to:

Code: Select all

default my_var = 0
default my_var_2 = {}
default my_var_3 = False
without any labels, screens, python or any other blocks, but you should be able to put it on the init block safely if you want all of them to be grouped together (it's convenient in JEdit for example, which I use).

label start:
    $ my_var = 0
    python:
        my_var_2 = {}
        my_var_3 = False
will work just as well. Do not ever declare variables in the anything init without default or older define statements, you'll regret that later, use one of the ways above.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

DictatorKitten

#5 Post by DictatorKitten »

xela wrote:Really? Docs are very clear on the variables definitions. Best way is simply to:

default my_var = 0
default my_var_2 = {}
default my_var_3 = False
without any labels, screens, python or any other blocks, but you should be able to put it on the init block safely if you want all of them to be grouped together (it's convenient in JEdit for example, which I use).

label start:
    $ my_var = 0
    python:
        my_var_2 = {}
        my_var_3 = False
will work just as well. Do not ever declare variables in the anything init without default or older define statements, you'll regret that later, use one of the ways above.
Oh! Okay! I apologize, I'm not incredibly good with tutorials(for whatever reason), but yeah, this answers what I needed to know uwu