Trying to Recover Ren'py Files

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Foolish_Connor

Trying to Recover Ren'py Files

#1 Post by Foolish_Connor »

So, I haven't worked on my VN in a couple of months, and when I went to go look at the files again today, every project in the project side bar when you open the program was gone. Somehow, I managed to find all the components (script, options, screens) hidden somewhere in my computer, but they had strange extensions added to them. Some were "options.rpy.bak" and others were "script.rpyc". I don't know what the heck .bak and .rpyc are, and I have no idea where they came from, but it's almost as if the program exploded, dispersed my files, and added strange extensions. When I got rid of the .bak on the options/screens, the files returned to normal, but when I got rid of the "c" on the ".rpyc" on the script, it completely changed the text into this:

Alü±ç•4˙UÌœ[Z •≥.tB∑Œip}à}ifiˇ<}õfiuÍÈ+∑ã⁄_fiíP9Õ¥øS™ªÌØ\#¿fl–è*∑˝U÷~NvZÒòˆ◊PA£V‡ö˜uRfl¿≈ã˙·õÌ[Ûj†ÙÌ¥B祡∑k§˛G–éªåјùDÖ,díVXNoN˚IÄÛ]ÄÛ=–„›ö∂ø∆3≥∑ŸÜ«-lv N˜◊Ç_e≈∏M∏2zp@º†∞©Ñ߉wBTn≥2Z(¡flKn,(¸FO¨÷\–INΩ–ıU>F£9ù&|ΩY)töpʇ,L˚plúÆ

(It sorta looks like it changed all the letters to when you hold down the option key on a Mac... and I am working on a Mac)

And I tried opening it before I changed the extension, but it couldn't even be read by any programs. It's not that big of a deal, because I can just re-import the script if I really need to, but does anyone know why Ren'py decided to delete the foundation of the novels, and rename everything? Was it from being unattended for too long? I hadn't worked on it since November.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

Re: Trying to Recover Ren'py Files

#2 Post by Zetsubou »

I don't know where your rpy files went, but:
.bak is a backup file. You could have removed the .bak and been left with a normal .rpy file.
.rpyc is a compiled file, ie. not a text file that you can edit.

If you only have the .rpyc files left, you could use something like: https://github.com/CensoredUsername/unrpyc
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Foolish_Connor

#3 Post by Foolish_Connor »

Sorry, but is it possible that you could explain how I use the unrpyc, because I'm a bit clueless.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by philat »

You said you have the rpy files since there were backups. Unless you're missing the rpy files, there's no reason to unrpyc.

Foolish_Connor

#5 Post by Foolish_Connor »

I have the script. It's called "script.rpyc" When I open it, here's a sample of what it looks like:

(àä9ÅÇä9+**fà 3_˜Ruw’5˝˚CÙ˚ıÓvgÍ}fi´™WØ^ΩpŸÏã€≥Êm⁄Ï™¿ÛõÌŸ+˛y˙™m6ÙÕ∏ΩvflÜm;Õ∫_ûq+Ì˛ŒπÌÅyeÂ6[Ω¢Ñs&õ^8ß=8ˇÚˆ–‘≈ÌmÁmËo:
∑Ω›«o≥Õ6áo`º√ó‘îÑû”<|©flÖëúJp¯røȈÊÖuùF√UáO√ó  kÖE’͵Á¨∏Ùƒ…”WÓµ∑á›-a˚%S∂m)œW^ÿkÔ∞˙G}Ê‘Ω¶

I want to know if there's a way I can change it back to regular english so I don't have to re-import the whole script.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

What version of Ren'Py were you using in november? If it's recent enough, Ren'Py might have backed up the files.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#7 Post by Zetsubou »

Foolish_Connor wrote:I have the script. It's called "script.rpyc" When I open it, here's a sample of what it looks like:

(àä9ÅÇä9+**fà 3_˜Ruw’5˝˚CÙ˚ıÓvgÍ}fi´™WØ^ΩpŸÏã€≥Êm⁄Ï™¿ÛõÌŸ+˛y˙™m6ÙÕ∏ΩvflÜm;Õ∫_ûq+Ì˛ŒπÌÅyeÂ6[Ω¢Ñs&õ^8ß=8ˇÚˆ–‘≈ÌmÁmËo:
∑Ω›«o≥Õ6áo`º√ó‘îÑû”<|©flÖëúJp¯røȈÊÖuùF√UáO√ó kÖE’͵Á¨∏Ùƒ…”WÓµ∑á›-a˚%S∂m)œW^ÿkÔ∞˙G}Ê‘Ω¶

I want to know if there's a way I can change it back to regular english so I don't have to re-import the whole script.
That isn't a backup, and it is not a readable version of your script.
It is a compiled version of your script, which your text editor is trying to (but cannot) read.

If .rpyc files are the only files you have left, you'll need to decompile them using the software I pointed you to.
https://github.com/CensoredUsername/unrpyc/releases
As the release notes say:
Usage: simply copy the un.rpyc file into the "game" directory inside the game. Run the game and it will decompile the entire game into .rpy files at startup.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Foolish_Connor

#8 Post by Foolish_Connor »

The version I'm using is 6.99.6.739.

I uploaded a screenshot. As you can see, I downloaded the un.rpyc file, went to the game directory, and put it in the "game" folder of my game. Right next to it is the "script.rpyc" file, which is the file that cannot be read. I launched the game, and instead of the file being decoded, a traceback error occurred. Still don't know what the problem is.
Attachments
game directory screenshot.png