Automatically highlight "default" menu choice?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
MyFavorite

Automatically highlight "default" menu choice?

#1 Post by MyFavorite »

Hello! I'm assuming that a large number of people who play my game are using the keyboard. I'd like to have the first choice of each menu be "highlighted" when the menu comes up rather than when the player presses the down arrow key, so that the screen-reader will read it aloud without requiring input from the player. Is there any way to do this? I've looked all over the documentation but nothing seems to fit into quite what I'm looking for.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Automatically highlight "default" menu choice?

#2 Post by namastaii »

I am not exactly sure but have you tried simply default =
where it, i guess, needs to be? and put the first choice next to default? I know default can be used for a few things so it was just an idea. Probably not a smart one but ..just in case it actually works lol

MyFavorite

#3 Post by MyFavorite »

I'm not really sure what you mean. I tried putting "default = " in front of the first menu choice but I got a syntax error.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by namastaii »

Oh, I mean the default to be stated before the first choice. Can I see your code? And I'm probably completely wrong but..

MyFavorite

#5 Post by MyFavorite »

Here is an example of one of the menus

Code: Select all

# The game starts here.
label start:
    window show
    menu:
        "Premade Levels (1 of 2)":
            jump preLevels
        "Level Editor (2 of 2)":
            jump leditM

return
I understand what you mean now. But if I had the first choice show up before those reading the menu, then it might be confusing to those reading the screen (though I could probably rig it to only show up if self-voicing is enabled). For those relying on the voicing, hearing the first menu choice read might make them press the down arrow to read the next choice right away (except they would actually still be on the pre-menu text bit) and be confused as to why their input isn't doing anything. x.x

Maybe I should just have a sound play that prompts them to press the down key? :/

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by namastaii »

Are they playing on Pc or something else? Because menus are pretty simple to click on or touch in the first place. Honestly idk if you can do the default function for a menu and i think it has to be in a screen.