[April Fools] North Korean Ren'Py Game

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

[April Fools] North Korean Ren'Py Game

#1 Post by PyTom »

I have a couple of different ways of finding news about new Ren'Py games. Probably the most useful are my google alerts for "Ren'Py" and "Renpy", which email me every time google indexes a page with one of those words. Anyway, last night, I found a link from a site that appears to be a list of packages from the Red Star Linux distribution, which is a North Korean linux distro.

Now, apart from the simple fact that there is a North Korean linux distro, this isn't terribly newsworthy. Ren'Py is part of Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, and I believe it is going into Fedora at some point. But what was really interesting was that there was a package that depended on Ren'Py (other than the demo game). And when I clicked on the link to that package, this is what I found.
redstar12.jpg
redstar13.jpg
The game's title appears to be "연애 사무 총장의 령도자 김정일", which google-translates to "General Secretary Kim Jong Il's love". That's right, it appears that somebody in North Korea managed to use Ren'Py to make a propaganda game about Kim Jong Il.

I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand, I'm not a huge fan of North Korea or Kim Jong Il, a destructive police state run by a self-glorifying madman. On the other hand Ren'Py is licensed in a a way that means that there are no restrictions on what one can create with it... and this shows it quite well.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Cironian
Regular
Projects: Dragon Story

Re: North Korean Ren'Py Game

#2 Post by Cironian »

Some interesting points about the plot, too:
Ahahaha! I love the extremely short sprite for Kim... Is it wrong that I now want someone to really make that game as some kind of comedy?

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#3 Post by tigerkidde »

I'm not sure how I would feel about this if I saw it happen to something I created.

On some level, I imagine it's like a manga author who finds their characters in an H-doujinshi format. Or finding out a neat logo that you made has been adopted by a hostile group.

Deviot
Regular
Projects: Testing out completed Visual Novels?

#4 Post by Deviot »

I bet the makers are rotting in jail right now!
How many of you can go to sleep knowing you'll surely wake up tomorrow, take life for granted and picture yourself in the future? I....can't -Kirimiya Mizuki-

Those who are strong leaves a trail of blood and tears in their wake, sometimes their own, walking over bodies of friends and foes

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#5 Post by sake-bento »

I had a friend of mine in Korea snatch this up for me. Ugh...it's really hard. =_= Or maybe it's just difficult to get a good end because I don't actually understand most of the text (I know like zero Korean). I wonder if I'm subtly being indoctrinated right now...

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#6 Post by dizzcity »

Err... actually, is it propaganda or is it subversive satire? The moment I saw it, I was thinking that it was a quiet slam on Kim Jong Il, doing some sort of snide commentary on his love life, rather than a propagandic piece promoting him. Can anyone tell from the script?

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

backansi
Veteran

#7 Post by backansi »

Really- interesting. (as you can see from my profile, I am the guy who live in South Korea, so can read Korean script on that two screenshots.)
Here is my idea.
(ROFL)

Jake
Support Hero

#8 Post by Jake »

Censorship, in a thread about North Korea? How ironic.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

For the record - yes, this was an april fool's joke. The Kim Jong Il sprite was by mugenjohncel, while the rest of the game was taken from the iichan eroge project. (Who have my apologies.) The Korean was run through google translate, so it's not the highest quality.

Red Star Linux is real (and the screenshot is based off a real screenshot), but as far as I can tell, it doesn't include Ren'Py.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#10 Post by tigerkidde »

I fell for it... I was April Fools' ready everywhere else except here. Can't believe meself.

After the man marries pillow thread, I thought anything was possible. heheh.

Deviot
Regular
Projects: Testing out completed Visual Novels?

#11 Post by Deviot »

tch. that girl looks okay tho

Just for the record, what does the korean words there mean?
How many of you can go to sleep knowing you'll surely wake up tomorrow, take life for granted and picture yourself in the future? I....can't -Kirimiya Mizuki-

Those who are strong leaves a trail of blood and tears in their wake, sometimes their own, walking over bodies of friends and foes

backansi
Veteran

#12 Post by backansi »

Deviot///

The first sentence is a little bit weird(as PyTom said, because The Korean was run through google translate)
anyway it means,
Shall we go to my bedroom?
and the second one
General Secretary, that se* was good, let's try again.
ROFL viva April fool's day

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#13 Post by luminarious »

Ha, I didn't suspect a thing.. :P

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#14 Post by Samu-kun »

I kinda suspected the game was a joke, but I didn't think Pytom would be in on it too. XD

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

Samu-kun wrote:I kinda suspected the game was a joke, but I didn't think Pytom would be in on it too. XD
That's why he could trick us and lots of other people... don't judge book by its cover.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW