Ren'Py 6.11.0 Pre-Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

Re: Ren'Py 6.11.0 Pre-Released

#31 Post by sake-bento »

PyTom wrote:Sake - It seems likely that the dissolve transition is the problem.
Looks like it. I tested all the default transitions, and it crashes on dissolve, fade, blinds, and squares. All the other transitions work just fine. opengl.txt attached for crashing on the blinds transition.
Attachments
opengl.txt
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Jake
Support Hero

#32 Post by Jake »

Another small problem: if you resize the launcher window then the mouseover highlights seem to function as if the buttons were the original size rather than the new size... so if you make the window about 1.5 times as big, putting the mouse just under the word "lint" highlights the "Ren'Py Help" item.

It seems like the clicks work properly, and in-game the hover seems to work properly too, I guess it's just the launcher.

On a related note, the first time I loaded it, it looked like the launcher wasn't quite drawing at the right res - half the words were fuzzy in that "my texture coordinates aren't properly aligned with pixel boundaries" kind of way. But I resized it around a bit, closed and re-opened and it's been fine every subsequent go...

EDIT: Also, the screenshots of the prefs and save/load screen in the demo use the old pre-6.10 widgets. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#33 Post by PyTom »

Okay. I managed to dig up an old laptop with the 915 chipset on it. After loading XP and an old version of the intel driver onto it, I managed to get a repeatable crash. That's a good thing, as I was able to track the problem down and fix it.

For what it's worth, I was enabling a texture unit, but not actually binding a texture to that unit, as all I was using the unit for was the texture combine operation. The Intel drivers didn't seem to like that very much. It's fixed now, at least on my machine.

I've also fixed the IgnoreEvent(s) bug.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#34 Post by jack_norton »

Heh when was coding C, I remember Intel integrated videocard were a total pain in the a... for drivers and limitation (texture size,etc). Also some doesn't support recent openGL versions but I guess for renpy you're probably using 1.0-1.1 ?
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#35 Post by PyTom »

For GL-mode, Ren'Py requires a card that supports one of the following extensions:

- ARB_fragment_shader
- ARB_texture_env_crossbar
- NV_texture_env_combine4

It also requires 4 texture units. I searched through a database of video cards, and pretty much all of the cards made within the last 10 years meet these requirements, if they have OpenGL drivers installed.

If OpenGL drivers are missing, we'll drop down to software rendering, which is no worse than what we have in 6.10.

I've punted the GL-Only problem, for now. There are some effects that will be easier to implement in GL-mode, but I would like to provide software rendering support, for odd and misconfigured machines. I'm not sure how to deal with this, yet - it's a problem for the 6.11 timeframe.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#36 Post by jack_norton »

There will be (or maybe there's already and didn't see it in the docs) an internal variable to know if renpy is running in GL/software mode from the code? that way we might display a warning like "the game is running in software mode, please check your openGL drivers to enable HW acceleration, blabla" ?
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

IceD
Veteran

#37 Post by IceD »

PyTom wrote:I've punted the GL-Only problem, for now. There are some effects that will be easier to implement in GL-mode, but I would like to provide software rendering support, for odd and misconfigured machines. I'm not sure how to deal with this, yet - it's a problem for the 6.11 timeframe.
Also, What about with the manual button I was ranting about earlier? Is it doable now? I don't think it wouldn't be a great hassle in term of integral Ren'Py changes. Manual config is always a good choice :)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#38 Post by DaFool »

jack_norton wrote:Heh when was coding C, I remember Intel integrated videocard were a total pain in the a... for drivers and limitation (texture size,etc).
Well Intel GMA HD seems to be pretty decent right now. So you can expect your customer base to be using this 'not-as-crappy-as-before' chipset in the years to come. (Well, save for a few millisecond delays when modelling in Blender.)

I'm surprised that I actually like the situation right now -- I don't have a quad-core uber-rig and I don't care and probably never will. (I used to though when I couldn't play the notorious PC port of GTAIV) Most of the runaway hardware advancements are occuring in the mobile space, at least up until they reach PC level of sophistication. While game developers are continually moving to console, PC space is free for the indies and casual, which have minimal system requirements. AAA development on the console is so expensive that the big companies extended the hardware cycle so now consoles last for 10 years instead of 5...this gives an ample window for the most successful indie devs to port their PC games to the console Direct Download space. Furthermore, the mobile device space has converged so that they can be treated almost the same -- as mini computers (hence IGF merged the Mobile segment with the Main competition).

The only problem right now (and it's a big problem though) is because of the economy, people have less money to spend on games. But otherwise it's a great time to be a creator of new media.

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#39 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

Jake wrote:Another small problem: if you resize the launcher window then the mouseover highlights seem to function as if the buttons were the original size rather than the new size... so if you make the window about 1.5 times as big, putting the mouse just under the word "lint" highlights the "Ren'Py Help" item.
I'm getting a similar problem when I resize the launcher window in 6.11.0a (x86-64 Debian testing, Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10) according to lpci, which I believe is an i810?). Hover effects also flicker a great deal, as if it's alternating between the scaled and unscaled coordinates?

I'm also getting random textures (that I'm using elsewhere in my project) showing up when I do dissolves in one of my projects - haven't yet narrowed down a proper example, though.

Are bug reports for the prerelease more convenient in the forum or in Launchpad?
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#40 Post by PyTom »

Jack >>> That's a good idea. I'll add a variable that lets people determine which mode we're running in.

IceD >>> There will be a way to start Ren'Py in software only mode. Right now, I'm leaning towards that being an environment.txt file the user can download and stick in the same directory as renpy.exe. It can't be a button, as by the time we can click that button, GL has already initialized and is working.

Spiky>>> I've fixed the launcher-mouseover problem. The dissolve problem may also be fixed, I'm not sure yet.

I think the forum is a little more informal, and hence more convenient for pre-release bugs.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#41 Post by Counter Arts »

PyTom wrote:IceD >>> There will be a way to start Ren'Py in software only mode. Right now, I'm leaning towards that being an environment.txt file the user can download and stick in the same directory as renpy.exe. It can't be a button, as by the time we can click that button, GL has already initialized and is working.
How about a command line flag and have an alternate shortcut for software rendering?
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#42 Post by PyTom »

I've uploaded 6.11.0b. Changes include:

- Fix crashing on the Intel 915 graphics card, and probably other hardware as well.
- Fix the (embarassing) fails to start on Mac OS X problem.
- Fix switching from GL to SW rendering.
- Fix aspect ratio problem.
- Ensure the mouse is always projected into virtual coordinates. (Fixes the launcher focus problem.)
- Update the GL-screen when the mouse moves.
- Add the label screen language statement.
- Made a click disable AFM (when config.default_afm_enable is set).
- Implemented a renpy.get_renderer_info function.

Thanks to everyone whose reports helped me find the flaws in 6.11.0a. This new pre-release helps me to fix those flaws.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#43 Post by sake-bento »

6.11.0.b works beautifully with the tutorial game and some simple projects on Vista. I'm off to abuse it with some highly customized stuff.

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#44 Post by CaesMRaenes »

It's working now for the Mac and I can see the openGL.txt now. Went through the tutorial and the Question game and nothing strange happened except for a mysterious crash before the "queue sound" section in the tutorial. The problem never appeared again though.
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#45 Post by PyTom »

Did the crash leave a traceback or any other form of evidence?