Amateur VN writer's Critique Group

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Lekhaka
Regular

Amateur VN writer's Critique Group

#1 Post by Lekhaka »

Well, in traditional novel writing, writers can form critique groups to help each other by providing critical feedback. I think this would benefit Visual Novel game writers as well. I did a quick search and did not find any current critique groups for this, not really unexpected since it's still a relatively new medium. So I'm willing to start an Amateur VN Critique Group (AVNCG). Currently there are two members including myself. I think such a group would function best with 3 to 4 members, so I would like to know if anyone here would like to join us.

The critique group members will correspond via a private forum section visible and accessible only to the members.

http://lekhaka.49.forumer.com/index.php

Mikan
Veteran

Re: Amateur VN writer's Critique Group

#2 Post by Mikan »

I don't get it. What's wrong with the forums here?

Splitting up an already tiny niche of people into an even smaller community does not sound like a wise idea.

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

#3 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

I would be interested in joining but I have to agree with Mikan. Why go private?

Lekhaka
Regular

#4 Post by Lekhaka »

I don't get it. What's wrong with the forums here?

Splitting up an already tiny niche of people into an even smaller community does not sound like a wise idea.
A critique group is not the same as a community of people interested in VN.

Nothing's wrong with the forums here...if PyTom (or other admins) makes and manages such a group. All I did was skip the trouble of asking them to do this and manage a forum myself.

A private forum is necessary because most people looking for critique of their story do not want it to be available publicly until the project is actually finished. And Private Messages just gets messy if you want the possibility of more than two people communicating mutually.

That's what the forum I set up is: a private hidden forum accessible only to confirmed members.

dstarsboy
Veteran

#5 Post by dstarsboy »

I think this is a good idea. I'd love to have people critique my writing but only people serious about it and not everyone on the internet. Currently, if we want to do this, we have to ask for critiques via PM.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

desulishor
Regular
Completed: Project Dualis, Of Valkyries and Life
Projects: Project Scribble [on hiatus] Project Aivisu (WIP) Seven Seasons (WIP)

#6 Post by desulishor »

If you're taking members in yer critique group, I might be interested. I'm mainly interested in romance stuff, and I consider myself capable of writing long, analytic reviews for them. Just contact me if you're interested or want to see me reviewing something for a test.

Lekhaka
Regular

#7 Post by Lekhaka »

We're not in any way so formal that membership requires a test. If you say you are interested, I'll take your word for it.

Since the forum is private, you have to register first and wait for me to add you to the usergroup before you can see what's inside, though. :-P

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

#8 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

I'm in.

fortaat
Regular

#9 Post by fortaat »

Since I don't wish to participate as a writer, you're welcome to dismiss this outsider's opinion:

Like Mikan, I don't see much point in a separated critique group. If you'll set the rules properly (only serious responses, no one-liners), you could get a much wider audience to review your material, and reflect the market's response (if this interests you).
Lekhaka wrote:A private forum is necessary because most people looking for critique of their story do not want it to be available publicly until the project is actually finished.
The solution, as I see it, is focusing on short VNs, which aren't the writer's grand dream project.
Critiques of short pieces is much more useful to writers, compared to reviews of their 100k words epic. If your descriptions suck, it's much better to fix it after you wrote a short VN, and not a multiply ending extravaganza you can't rewrite.
On long works, many readers won't comment on how the story develops, or how the ending fits the rest plot, simply because they can't be bothered with so much reading, for a work that is riddled with problems they can point out after five pages.
Basically, the same reasons for which writing courses are almost entirely focused on short stories and not novels, apply here as well.
dstarsboy wrote:I think this is a good idea. I'd love to have people critique my writing but only people serious about it and not everyone on the internet. Currently, if we want to do this, we have to ask for critiques via PM.
I understand your concern, but this thread shows this community is capable of serious critique.