A screensaver

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
john hae
Regular

A screensaver

#1 Post by john hae »

Hello

I'm thinking of using RenPy for building a screensaver. It's so easy! I just want to display a few images for a few seconds, and it's a piece of cake with RenPy. However, what restrains me a bit is the "distribution" of the screensaver. I don't want the scripts and the images to be easily accessible. Is there any way to bundle the resources along the executable file? Any suggestions or comments about building a screensaver with RenPy? Thanks in advance.
IKIGames. Follow us on Twitter: @superikigames.

Formedras
Regular
Projects: Ninja TK

Re: A screensaver

#2 Post by Formedras »

There's an "Archive Files" option in the launcher that will take whatever media files you want and put them into a single .rpa archive. In addition, you can run the "game", and Ren'Py will make .rpyc files out of your .rpy files, then after you do the Build Distributions, you can remove the .rpy files (except, apparently, for script_version.rpy, since everyone keeps that in even though it works without it) and it will work just fine. (You could tell Build Distributions to exclude .rpy files, but that leaves you without script_version.rpy.)

Also... if you want to hide even the compiled script files so that they're not even visible, you might want to ask the Ori, Ochi, Onoe team how they did it; I have no clue, personally. (I just tried archiving the .rpyc files using the archiver, and lint gave a bunch of errors afterward.)
http://www.google.com/profiles/tizalka
Current Project:
Ninja TK

Jake
Support Hero

Re: A screensaver

#3 Post by Jake »

Formedras wrote: Also... if you want to hide even the compiled script files so that they're not even visible, you might want to ask the Ori, Ochi, Onoe team how they did it; I have no clue, personally. (I just tried archiving the .rpyc files using the archiver, and lint gave a bunch of errors afterward.)
I think you just need to archive the .rpyc files and then remove the .rpy files. It's worked fine for me in the past like that.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found