[VN/KN(?), Mystery, Drama] Independent

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

[VN/KN(?), Mystery, Drama] Independent

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

"Secrets will be revealed, yet the truth may be something you don't want to know..."

Bernadette Skyes is an ordinary 18-year old working student, very socialized and is popular in their area. She has always been near people and had always talked to them, but in reality, behind the mask of society, is a heart that yearned to be alone, to be herself.

Many people had wondered what had caused it, and in reality, one of the reasons is that her family had been keeping secrets from her. She grew up bearing her parents on-and-off appearance to her, and the sudden disappearance of her family members also marked into her. Depression, it seems, has marked her attitude.

For years, she have wanted to know what is the reason of all of those events in her childhood. All she was hearing is about a cult called "Crimson Cross", which had a deep connection in their family. For years, she was finding information about this cult, yet unfortunately for her, all information seems to have been buried under sad memories and despair of other people. It seems that even the persons who trust her so much hides something from her. Her many attempts of gathering information was always hindered by death threats and disappearances of other people, and sometimes she was almost killed in times.

One time though, on a busy night, she had been called by a mysterious person, stating she knows everything about the cult and her family... She didn't really want to depend to other people, yet she needs the information so much, and it seems that her aloofness was eaten up by her desire of finding out the truth... The turn of events can possibly change her and other people's lives forever.

Characters

Bernadette Skyes
"Independence is the window to success. Dependence and trust brings people down."
An 18-year old student. She had lived under the shadow of her parent's peculiar behaviors, and thus had given her a unique attitude. She is very smart and she actually has everything in her hands, yet she refuses to accept anything she didn't took effort for. She has been wanting for information for the history of her parents and her family, and the Crimson Cross cult.

Leonard Bell
"Without other people, you will cease to exist, and you will swallow that 'independence' thing down to your gut."
A guy 1 year older than Bernadette. He is strong, but then he is usually an outcast on his area because his father was a member of the murder gang. He, unlike Bernadette wanted friends and a real family. Once he met Bernadette during the cult's session, he is willing to convince Bernadette to change.

William Bell
"All things in this world can't be treated like an algebra exam, sweetie."
Leonard's father. Leonard talks about him a lot, and he seems to be an interesting person. But when Bernadette consults him about the cult attacks, he seems to know something about the one who did it to her. He refuses to talk about it though.

June Gena Suharta
"Yes, ma'am! Will do it right away~"
Bernadette's simple-looking waitress at the coffeeshop she's managing. Very kind yet gets noisy at times. She bugs Bernadette a lot, but actually, she's just real concerned. She gets scared easily and she acts and thinks like a kid when it comes to morbid topics in conversations.

Alexander Bell
"If they kill, then can you tell me WHY they kill?"
Leonard's younger brother, and studies in the best college around. Is pretty weird and paranoid. He always keep a notebook close to him and never lets anybody touch it. He was pretty interested about the cult attacks and helps Bernadette in her search.

Ruchi Tanaka (Lucy)
"Flowers of the grass shows scarcely with a withered name."
A quiet Japanese girl that studies in the same college as Alexander, but takes another course. She is pretty absent-minded, and never talks unless very needed. She was one of those people who idolizes Bernadette because of her intellect. She likes poetry very much and writes haikus often.

???
"Accurate information though... comes with a price."
The person whom have called Bernadette numerous times, stating that he knows something about her family.

More characters on the way~

This KN/VN is based on my 5-stanza poem Independent, which obviously have the same title. I am making this KN because this poem had been my first ever poem that got in our poetry slam, and I have been so happy because it's my dream to get in a poetry slam even just once. So it's like my thank you. ^^
  • Programmer/Writer ~ Lumen
  • Artist ~ Lumen
  • Colorist ~ Tag-
  • Story Development ~ [Wanted]
  • Music ~ [Wanted]
  • CGs ~ [Wanted]
  • Backgrounds ~ [Wanted]
Comments and suggestions are, as usual, always appreciated.
Last edited by Lumen_Astrum on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:10 am, edited 8 times in total.

Aozora210
Regular
Projects: Ruins and Heaven

Re: Independent

#2 Post by Aozora210 »

Is this your other project besides Spiritual Equivalent? XD

This seems really interesting, and it's kinda rare to see a girl so independent, so it's really unique, but anyway, finding a definite reason for why does she always want to be alone and so independent will be more intriguing, or is that to be revealed later in the game?

I'll be stalking this thread from now on.
Current Project
Ruins and Heaven

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#3 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Aozora210 wrote:Is this your other project besides Spiritual Equivalent? XD

This seems really interesting, and it's kinda rare to see a girl so independent, so it's really unique, but anyway, finding a definite reason for why does she always want to be alone and so independent will be more intriguing, or is that to be revealed later in the game?

I'll be stalking this thread from now on.
Yes, this is the KN I was talking about. ^^

The reason I chose an independent main character is because dependence on parents and friends has been pretty much an issue thrown around (And I'm pretty much one of those people that is too clingy to parents, lol). Anyway, the reason why she is like that, that will be later on in the game. ^^

Thank you so much~

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by musical74 »

Bernadette comes across as SPOILED lol

Honestly I like the idea of a *I want to be left alone!* character - heck I posted it as an idea loooooooooong time ago (main character just doesn't seem to care) but not the way this is done.

This does look like a winner!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#5 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

musical74 wrote:Bernadette comes across as SPOILED lol

Honestly I like the idea of a *I want to be left alone!* character - heck I posted it as an idea loooooooooong time ago (main character just doesn't seem to care) but not the way this is done.

This does look like a winner!
I never knew that. ^^

Well, this was an original idea, since this KN is based on my original poem composition. But I actually never knew that there is another person who has a different idea executed in a different way. ^^
Thank you so much~ :D

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by musical74 »

Well, if you look at the *idea dump* thread - WAAAAAAAY back, like page 5 or around there - I had the idea of a HS student who just didn't seem to care about things. He had a lot of female friends - even though he told them, repeatedly, *no thanks*...however, I am NOT a artist (stick figures anyone?) and about as good at programming... I'm a writer and gamer, but lousy on the tech side.

It will be interesting to see how you flesh this out, just based on the premise I want to play it!

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#7 Post by Elenakiara »

Oh wow! Leonard seems sweet! :3 I can't wait to see how this story progresses, what new characters appear, all of it! :3
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#8 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Elenakiara wrote:Oh wow! Leonard seems sweet! :3 I can't wait to see how this story progresses, what new characters appear, all of it! :3
SWEET?!
Leonard isn't sweet. He's just being realistic. XD

Thank you~ I already have Leonard's sketch, and if you have played RE Alistair before...he and Derek Nevine kinda looked a little alike. XD

Elenakiara
Veteran

Re: Independent - A Story of Dependence and Trust

#9 Post by Elenakiara »

Haha... xD Well I find realistic guys who want a family as being sweet!! xD But that may just be me. xD

And yeah, I did play Re: Alistair xD, so I can imagine what he looks like then. Though Derek wasn't my favorite, but it was more because I didn't like his personality as much. xD
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#10 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Elenakiara wrote:Haha... xD Well I find realistic guys who want a family as being sweet!! xD But that may just be me. xD

And yeah, I did play Re: Alistair xD, so I can imagine what he looks like then. Though Derek wasn't my favorite, but it was more because I didn't like his personality as much. xD
Don't worry. Leonard's not a jerk like Derek. XD OBVIOUS.

Anyway, school have been a total hindrance on my progress. I swear.
I have a project on our research about the 12 Gods of Olympus and I have news reports and comic book projects for History.
And plus, I have to listen to the weather report tonight for my activity in Earth Science.. *SIGH*

But also, our reports means me using the computer, so I can sneak in extra progress... *evil grin*

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by musical74 »

ACK!! Lovely lady with evil grin!! HIDE!!!

Want to ask is, as music is important to me...will there be sound/music? It adds to the whole thing, if done properly.

Elenakiara
Veteran

#12 Post by Elenakiara »

Haha, yeah, I understand what you mean about all of those school projects! The worst part is that I feel the most inspired when I almost don't have any time at all! So I try to put some ideas down for times when I'll have more time! xD Haha... But really, hang on and you'll make it! :)

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#13 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Good story!
Looking forward to it...

By you mean window art is the main menu appearance??
like the button etc?

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#14 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

YuukiCrossPudding wrote:Good story!
Looking forward to it...

By you mean window art is the main menu appearance??
like the button etc?
Window art = frame below for the text

Thank you so much for your support!
Elenakiara wrote:Haha, yeah, I understand what you mean about all of those school projects! The worst part is that I feel the most inspired when I almost don't have any time at all! So I try to put some ideas down for times when I'll have more time! xD Haha... But really, hang on and you'll make it! :)
Yeah... Thank you so much for your support! ^o^
musical74 wrote:ACK!! Lovely lady with evil grin!! HIDE!!!

Want to ask is, as music is important to me...will there be sound/music? It adds to the whole thing, if done properly.
Of course there is! I love music you know...

There is this music creator in New Grounds called MaestroRage who makes music tracks. I surfed his audio site, and he makes GORGEOUS music. ^o^
And as I looked around, I found this music piece called "Midnight Oil" which caught my eye. It's a track from a bloody, 17+ surgery game I once played called "Dark Cut 3", but then it says the mp3 file is free of use by anybody, as long as given credit. I was thinking if this fits Independent's theme ...

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#15 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I don't like to double-post but here's the new (and better?) sprite for Bernadette :

I worked on it on a small resolution that's why the lines looked weird.
Next : LEONARD! :D