Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Ideas Dump

#526 Post by papillon »

It's entitled, "My Mom is a High Schooler!" You are a normal, every day high schooler... until you're waken up by your mom one day to find that she has been transformed into a 16 year old! What's worse, she has transferred to your school! Will you manage to get along with your new teenage mom, or will this be the end of your peaceful school life!?
There's a Ranma fanfic along those lines in which the Tendo girls wish for their mom to be brought back to life, and she is - as a teenager, long before she met their father, and latching onto Ranma as the best beef in town. Woe!

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#527 Post by musical74 »

There's a Ranma fanfic along those lines in which the Tendo girls wish for their mom to be brought back to life, and she is - as a teenager, long before she met their father, and latching onto Ranma as the best beef in town. Woe!
Just what Ranma needed...yet ANOTHER suitor! LOL It seems just about every female (outside of Nabiki) latches onto Ranma in some way!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

lastmousestanding
Regular

#528 Post by lastmousestanding »

A quick idea (since I've been lurking for a long time, I though I might contribute a bit here :))

You have the main character who seems to be an ordinary guy, but in his narration he continues to break the 4th wall and talk with the player. You follow somewhat a regular, stereotypical day, deciding some trivial and not so trivial things about his actions (some could be quite mean...)

Later in the VN, you find out people think he has schizophrenia and is doing what the person "in his head" is telling him too (which he effectively is).

Through minor choices like getting help from friends or etc, as endings, you can either get him free from your control (but still as a friend), still under your control (secretly and unbeknownst to others, or the character gets forced into a mental institution) or (as a sad end) he commits suicide. There could also be 1 or 2 love interests thrown in for good measure (moral support, the healing power of love...)
Last edited by lastmousestanding on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#529 Post by SusanTheCat »

@lastmousestanding Awesome Idea!
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#530 Post by Sapphi »

Samu-kun wrote:That's strange..... my high school had a class where you could learn how to fix cars and operate industrial machinery. ._.; I only took it because it was the only department in my high school that offered 3D modeling courses. All I got to model were machine parts though. XD
Yeah, it's probably just because I live in a relatively poor area. It's really a shame we don't have more practical classes anymore like sewing, cooking, electronics, mechanical work... I have a lot of complaints about the current system but I'll save em for another day. lol
LVUER wrote:There's already game like that. You have a garage, fixing cars to get money... or win a car in an auction, fixing it to a working condition, and sell it (or just show it off in you show room).

Too bad it's still an arcade to a simulation, so the fixing is not that detailed... since it is, I think the game will scare away too many people.
Really? What is it called?
And yeah, there probably wouldn't be a real big market for the type of game I described, but for people that were sincerely interested in the subject, it could be a way to learn while still being fun.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Gryphbear
Regular

#531 Post by Gryphbear »

Sapphi wrote:
Samu-kun wrote:That's strange..... my high school had a class where you could learn how to fix cars and operate industrial machinery. ._.; I only took it because it was the only department in my high school that offered 3D modeling courses. All I got to model were machine parts though. XD
Yeah, it's probably just because I live in a relatively poor area. It's really a shame we don't have more practical classes anymore like sewing, cooking, electronics, mechanical work... I have a lot of complaints about the current system but I'll save em for another day. lol
LVUER wrote:There's already game like that. You have a garage, fixing cars to get money... or win a car in an auction, fixing it to a working condition, and sell it (or just show it off in you show room).

Too bad it's still an arcade to a simulation, so the fixing is not that detailed... since it is, I think the game will scare away too many people.
Really? What is it called?
And yeah, there probably wouldn't be a real big market for the type of game I described, but for people that were sincerely interested in the subject, it could be a way to learn while still being fun.
"Touch Mechanic" for the NDS. That's what it's called.
WIP: Ring av Guder - (Contemporary Fantasy VN/Dating Sim?)

What do you get when you inherit a mystical ring, meet Norse Dieties, and Werewolves, Satyrs, or Dwarves? Possibilities.

General Completion: 5% - (Still working on story plot.)
Story status: 1% (In progress of revamping)
Scripting: 1% (Prologue is about done)
Character Art: 0% (Would like to find a Bara-type Artist, but will learn to draw them myself if necessary)
BG/CG's: 0% (None so far)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#532 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#533 Post by gekiganwing »

lastmousestanding wrote:You have the main character who seems to be an ordinary guy, but in his narration he continues to break the 4th wall and talk with the player... Later in the VN, you find out people think he has schizophrenia and is doing what the person "in his head" is telling him too (which he effectively is)...
Here's another rather meta idea to consider. I'll call it "2D/3D Problem." In this story, the main character gets to meet an in-universe fictional character from his favorite game. She appears in his room due to some plot contrivance. And then it gets complicated:

- As the Refugee from TV Land topic states, the girl is unfamiliar with things like "...finding parking space, breakfast, feeling tired, irrelevant conversations, bathroom trips, car insurance." She might understand sex if she's from an H game. But even then, she may assume that sex is very scripted or routine.

- She is scared of "3D people." In her world, real people are akin to deities or demons... nobody has seen them, so not everyone believes in them.

- If people on the street recognize her, they will probably assume they're looking at a LARP fan or a cosplayer. Meanwhile, she might be very confused at her sudden fame.

- If the guy chooses to be in a relationship with her in his real world, is that a good thing? He might have to turn down someone who loves him. And if the girl stays in the real world too long, then her fictional universe might collapse, and the series/game she's from might vanish from existence.

- If the guy finds a way to go with her to the fictional world, is that a good thing? People will certainly miss him. And if he's accepted as a main character of the fictional universe, it could change that universe, and make it lose popularity in the real world.

- The best ending might be if the guy politely rejects the girl, helps her get back home, and remains in his own world.

Twisted-Eva
Regular
Projects: Our Crossing Paths

#534 Post by Twisted-Eva »

Well... for my current otome visual novel project, I decided to lay out the setting in early 19th century France during the time Napoleon Bonaparte was taking over. Here's the gist of it:

Claire Parker, lieutenant of the British army, was given the task to infiltrate France and assassinate the top general of the French Army. Unfortunately, things are not as simple as she has to get closer to the general all the while hiding her true intentions and avoiding love. She goes to the military academy stationed in Paris and openly serves the army soon enough not without some criticism on her enrollment. Multiple endings are involved including one which I would like to say the "Effed up" ending (no, seriously... it's going to be "effed up" since I told this ending idea to several of my friends and they all agreed that it's "effed" up, especially for a game that has romance).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Besides the standard multiple ending fare of the couple and solo "good and bad" endings, here's the idea: Not all the choices painted as "rude" or "polite" may work on all of the obtainable guys. Sure, the player could use the flattering comment that could please anyone to please the guy, but at the wrong time and at the wrong place it could backfire. Try pitying the guy who has a rival+self-evaluating complex who tends to be too critical of himself. As for the bad endings, how about actually killing your love interest(s) with your own hands? Maybe the idea already came up in a VN I've never heard about, but really... I have yet to see an otome VN where the heroine actually kills her love interest directly. Yeah, there's School Days where the hero can get killed by that one girl (not gonna spoil it), but I'm asking specifically if there's a heroine that has killed her love interest directly in an otome game/VN?

On another note, I often think that a visual novel, or a game in general, that involves raising affection/friendship points would be a little more interesting if there was a challenge that meant that if the player was playing a romance game and pissed off a romantic interest, then the player would have a harder time trying to get in contact or trying to communicate with the character. Example would be in my VN where Claire could do an errand her assassination target asked her to do and receive possibly more contact, or refuse to do it and have a harder time getting closer because of the first few bad impressions.

Misled Legend

#535 Post by Misled Legend »

I had a interesting dream a few years ago that went on for some time (like days and weeks) and has recently emerged from the darkness of my mind. Potential titles my mind gave it were Soul Catcher, Shadows of the Heart, or Diangi

Basically it starts off with a dare and a trip through the woods. The girl, let's call her Fiona, has the feeling of being followed and her suspicions are proved correct when one of the undead greets her.

And we are not talking about those blooddrinkers but talking and walking skeletons man. That apparently had been sent to get her.

Fiona (as would any (in)sane person) backs up and begins to bolt when the skeleton says something about Master Neils will be upset with me again. Fiona's body stills as the rumors relating to a twisted 'abomination' living in the forest run through her mind.

Naturally she gets abducted and brought to said abomination.

Who is actually a fairly normal (and eerily attractive) if not easily bored 'man' (who is obviously a part time necromancer) with too much power and not enough ambition. As Fiona actually says "Hell, If I had your talent I'd do far more than play chess with a corpse. No offense chris" The skeleton shrugged.

"Would you like to explore my world?"

She looks at the curiosity on his face and agrees. Oh if only Fiona knew what she did.

You get sent to Diangi (or whatever his magical world is) along with Lang, a life sized somewhat bloodthirsty 'doll' that has a soul/personality (thanks to Neil's 'experiements') and discover that while it has it's warm and fuzzy parts the majority of it is 'tainted'. As Fiona soon learns nothing is as it seems. Her being one of them

For example the innocent water spirit (or merman forgot which) Rue while cute and childish lifted up Fionas skirt and looked at her underwear oddly. ((She fell asleep by the river))

Fiona meets a lot of characters and slowly learns that in order to get home (if she so desires) she most find the door(s) and with the bonds she forms open them.

In my dream she landed in a completely different place and was seperated by her 'friends'. That could mean another game idea somewhere in the future.

Characters (as of this posting):

Fiona Duyer - A young woman who was sent to live with one of her childhood friends in another city. On the first day she is dared to enter the forest on the outskirts of the city alone. Hobbies include reading, the paranormal, writing, and playing video games. Age 17.
Appearance: Slightly pale, long wavy platinum blond hair and mismatched eyes of amber and bright blue

Christophe Waynes - A young man who's soul and bones were risen from the grave with the promise of a 'second chance at a real body again' if he behaves. A portrait of his former self lies in the mansion within the forest. Murdered on his 20th birthday
Appearance (Skeleton) : Tall and lanky, Chris wears a custom made pure white outfit.
Human: He had light brown hair and pale green eyes.

Neils - Not much is known about him except he seems to have been around a long time... Or so he says. Age Unknown though he looks between 19-21. He has eyes the color of fresh blood and blond hair which perfectly frames his face.

Lang - A doll that oddly enough shows emotions and is usually sent on Master Neils dirty work. Makes you really wonder what that guys up to. Lang has straight pitch black hair that deliberately covers his left eye and orange eyes.

Rue - The ever curious merman who leaves his watery home after 'meeting' Fiona. He can live on land just as easily as he can in water since in both forms he has legs. His skin has a bare noticeable blue tint and slight webbing between his fingers and toes. He can breath both below and above water and his gills are on his lower neck. Rue's dark blue hair always gets into his eyes.

I just thought I should share this. If anyone wants to help me one day make this or another game idea reality just find me.

Twisted-Eva
Regular
Projects: Our Crossing Paths

#536 Post by Twisted-Eva »

I am wondering how on earth can someone implement the idea of hiding a character's true personality and agenda to reveal it later in the story without making it seem lame? "Lame" as in it's so obvious with the foreshadowing or the surprise came out of nowhere so fast, it made me go WTF?!

Fricken' PS3 Heavy Rain had that one surprise come out of nowhere and the execution of the surprise of the Origami killer was illogical to a certain extent. The true identity of the serial killer from Persona 4, on the other hand, was clever because I didn't see it coming (and I mean it's just me... or maybe others...). I mean, I didn't think the serial killer acted like an idiot practically for the entire game. I did find the list of possible suspects amusing though (I mean, come on, Yosuke... Ayumi... NANAKO is the serial killer?)
Deviantart Account
Current Project: Our Crossing Paths [GxB] [Alternate History/Drama]

Aozora210
Regular
Projects: Ruins and Heaven

#537 Post by Aozora210 »

Hmmm... That way could be mean that you make the people don't realize that the true personality at the beginning. More acting or just pretending to be innocent, could make people think that "there's no way this person is like that". And even so, don't forget some explanation to make it less illogical. There's always background story to support a fact. Maybe you could build some tension and suspicion to make it less surprising, or a turn table event.

Ideas dump,
I was thinking of a world where art is known as a weapon, like songs, dances, painting can be used to either hurt someone else or to be used for other than its original purpose to entertain.

Also, a girl who wished for something and granted, which leads her to re-enter her school as a completely different person, choosing to living up a new life or staying the same like she was. This might be my future project after I finished my current one.
Current Project
Ruins and Heaven

Misled Legend

#538 Post by Misled Legend »

I can see some people being able to use art like a weapon or healing. I might work on that one day.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#539 Post by LVUER »

I forget the title, but there is a manga like that (is it Art Deco or Artcon-something)? Or something like that. It have something to do with art in the title).

In this manga, artist is a title for someone who fight using art... or rather making art as a weapon. The protagonist is a clay sculptor who could sculpt everything into any shape as if they are clays. And then there is painter guy who could turn anything (including human) into painting. And so on.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

lastmousestanding
Regular

#540 Post by lastmousestanding »

Aozora210 wrote: Ideas dump,
I was thinking of a world where art is known as a weapon, like songs, dances, painting can be used to either hurt someone else or to be used for other than its original purpose to entertain.
I also think there was a novel in which in order to make spells, you had to sing and dance. But it sounds like a really good and novel idea!