The Oscars

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
teankun
Regular

The Oscars

#1 Post by teankun »

Well, the Oscars are done. Toy Story 3 won for Best Animated feature, but How to Train Your Dragon was also popular, and the third nominee, The Illusionist, was the only one that was traditional animation, and also since it was a foreign film, albeit Belgium, the most anime-like.

So, which one do you think should have won? I only saw Toy Story, which I did love, but I do want to see the other two. I would really like to get comments on The Illusionist since it is the most obscure and as I said anime-like.

As long we are on the subject of the Oscars, which one do you think should have won for Best Picture? Again, the only ones I have seen were Toy Story and Inception, which I also loved, but I really do want to see King’s Speech.

The nominees were:

The King's Speech
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone
Looking for single, adult, Asian, female Latter-Day Saint

Anime convention videos at Youtube channel

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: The Oscars

#2 Post by LVUER »

I haven't see any of those (yet) (T_T) So I can't say much...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#3 Post by Elenakiara »

I loved Toy Story 3! xDD I saw How to Train Your Dragon just recently and while it's cute (and since the dragon reminded me of a cat, so it's like my favorite mystical + real creatures combined into one! <3), it wouldn't beat Toy Story! It was both action filled and really made me tear up much more!
The scene in the end... (big spoiler alert!)
was really sad! I almost felt like my childhood died there when Andy left them! D: It was a kind of bittersweet ending in my opinion! xD

Inception, now that was one of the hotest movies last year in my opinion! xD I loved both the general concept behind it and the special effects! After the movies, (somewhat of a spoiler once more xD)
my dad was driving us home and we were talking about the movie. He said things like, and what if we're dreaming now?
Me and my mom: ... o_o do NOT crash the car! D: (we were on a raised highway xD)! It helped my mom though, that she's been practicing and now she can stay asleep and fly in her dreams instead of waking up right away! :O I still can't. D':

I didn't really see any other movies though... I'm going to go more often this year though! xD
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

teankun
Regular

#4 Post by teankun »

Elenakiara wrote: The scene in the end... (big spoiler alert!)
was really sad! I almost felt like my childhood died there when Andy left them! D: It was a kind of bittersweet ending in my opinion! xD
It tugged on my heartstrings too, but I saw symbolism of growing up, adopting a baby,and Woody as a father figure.
Inception, now that was one of the hotest movies last year in my opinion! xD I loved both the general concept behind it and the special effects!
It won the Oscars for effects. I understand one thing about Nolan is that he advoids using CG and uses fore old fasion effects, like gimbles and actually spraying water.

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#5 Post by IonicMomo »

I'll preface this by saying that I don't much care for awards shows, nor do I put much stock in them. Many great films are ignored, and will be ignored in the future, simply because they aren't big studio blockbusters or breakout indie hits. But I did watch the Academy Awards this year, so maybe I'm just a hypocrite after all. :)

I've seen all of the Best Picture nominees except 127 Hours. (My friend and I were the only people in the theater when we went to see Winter's Bone, but it was actually very good.)

I think that most viewers and critics were aware that the Best Picture award would fall between The King's Speech and The Social Network. It was sort of set up as a battle between a classic, well-made, well-acted, "old Hollywood" film (The King's Speech) and a "young, hip, edgy" film (The Social Network). But I think that we know by now that the Academy almost *always* plays it safe (see Crash v. Brokeback Mountain for another recent example), and it was no surprise to me that The King's Speech won. Not only did it win, it swept 4 out of the 5 big awards (picture, director, actor, screenplay), and there was no role in the movie that could be nominated for a Best Actress award anyway. So basically, the Academy fully endorsed that film in almost every way it could.

I was a little surprised that Nolan wasn't nominated for Best Director, and also a little surprised that Fincher didn't win--but again, Hooper's win represents the Academy's endorsement of his film. Also, Aaron Sorkin winning adapted screenplay = no surprise at all. Same for Toy Story 3 winning Best Animated Feature. (In any other year, I would've put my money on How to Train Your Dragon, but Pixar is an unstoppable machine right now, and nothing could've topped Toy Story anyway. As someone that grew up watching Toy Story, I'm also glad to see that animated movies aren't "just for children" anymore, but have appeal for college students and adults.)

Also of note, I still find it hilarious that Trent Reznor of all people now has an Oscar under his belt. What is this world coming to? (He did deserve the original score award, in my opinion, even if it does take away from his street cred!)
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

teankun
Regular

#6 Post by teankun »

IonicMomo wrote:I was a little surprised that Nolan wasn't nominated for Best Director,
I was disappointed too. The man's a genius