That Cheap and Sacred Thing - Drama/Sci-fi

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

Re: That Cheap and Sacred Thing - Drama/Sci-fi

#31 Post by Kura »

First of all, congrats on finishing this! Been keeping an eye on it for while and it's really exciting to see it done.

Second, I apologize for the length of this post. I analyze too much.

Third, wow. That was incredible. Seriously incredible.

I downloaded this as soon as I saw it was done, started playing it before work but only got 10 minutes in, and pretty much spent all day looking forward to coming home and finishing it. So worth it. Really, really poignant--I cried.
I don't even know that I have words for how Jude's destruction scene affected me. Just so powerful, and so grotesquely beautiful, and brilliant, right down to the fact that it was a metal baseball bat (I love the reciprocation that that implies). The way Jude was so dedicated to her without even having the chance to bond over time like Elly had, what it said about Autumn's dedication to Elly, the sense that her assenting to Jude's backup was something of a breakthrough in Autumn's ability to love... It was a gloriously climatic as I could have wanted. And it left me wondering if Jude wanted to be a real boy.

Elly's interrogation scene was another one that floored me. One more thing I loved: Autumn's commentary on "programming". Jude might be saying he loves her because he's programmed to flatter clients, but all the same Elly might have said she loves Autumn because she was programmed to care, and Autumn's programmed to feel good whe she's told she's loved.
The title image is BRILLIANT, by the way. I didn't notice the little thing-which-is-off until I finished the game, and then as soon I got back to the start menu I did a double take, because of course I've already seen the image a bunch of times since I've been following this game's development and I was shocked I hadn't noticed the discrepancy before.

I loved the art. Sprites were spectcularly expressive (I love Elly's shocked face/pose so much~), and as for the CGs... the snuggly ones were all super adorable (the pizza one actully made me "Bawww"), and that one last CG, wow. I seriously just stared in awe for a minute. Such a powerful, fascinating image.
I will admit I have a morbid fascination with the image of half-dissembled androids. In one of my own works, an android takes herself apart after her creator dies, and it's one of my favorite scenes.

Also, I had a few little geek spaz-out moments, when you mentioned the uncanny valley and authorial intent.

And while I do agree that authorial intent is fairly irrelevant, I really appreciated the notes (I love to analyze, but I'm dense, and don't always look close unless I'm told to).
I did find myself wondering if it was somthing unique about Autumn that caused the "errors" in robots committed to her, or if it should just be taken generally as "things that could happen". I do sort of like to think that maybe it's just the robots' ability to notice how badly Autumn needs unconditional love that causes the error.
On "choosing" people: I could argue that we never completely choose. We can't choose who comes into our lives, at least, and who we like depends on how they line up with what we're already "programmed" to like in people.
Lastly, thanks for pointing out that the title can refer to multiple things. I fell too easily into the trap of "it means love!" but I really like the idea of humanity--or rather, that perhaps-mythical unique and quintessential "human-ness"--as cheap in that it can arguably be manufactured (I certainly feel that if there is such a "human-ness", Elly and Jude both achieved it), but sacred in that people put so much stock in it and want to believe that it can't be mimicked.
So all in all, thanks for making something so amazing. This has actually given me something to aspire toward with my own WIP. Also definitely going onto my little list of VN recommendations.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#32 Post by Elenakiara »

I just played this game today! The others were all completely right on how cute it was! I did feel a little sad for a while, but I kind of told myself that this was going to be sad. xD

I really liked the flow of the story and the CG's were very pretty. This story actually reminded me a little of I Robot, which was a movie that I liked, so it was a plus. xD <3 I'm not going to comment too much, since I feel like the past reviews pretty much say exactly what I would like to have said. :) Good job! <3

Also, for some reason, Elly reminded me of a dog, especially a pit-bull. Mostly because that all dogs love their master more than anything in the world and want to protect them if needed. I remember watching and episode of the Dog Whisperer, where he was training a pit-bull who had a 'weak' owner. So, the dog really felt compelled to protect her no matter what. So, even after weeks and months of training, when the owner came to see the dog and was sitting next to Caesar Milan, Daddy(his pit-bull) approached the owner just out of curiosity. Her pit-bull thought that he was going to hurt her and instantly attacked Daddy. Later, when they got them separated at first, the dog was in a cage, just like Elly was. She didn't feel anything bad towards Daddy, as later they showed them being alright with each other, but she simply felt the need to protect her master no matter what. It was a factor in me feeling sad at first as I read the story, as it really reminded me of this case. >_<
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Ellume
Regular

#33 Post by Ellume »

I very briefly skimmed over the majority of the other posts but didn't fully read them.

I found the story really touching. I didn't cry, and I usually don't, but it did inspire a decent amount of contemplation. I enjoyed the bonus section with your thoughts, I didn't read them until a day after finishing the game though so I could think about it on my own first. Stuff like attachment to inanimate or digital things, beliefs about sexuality in regards to what does it mean or signify to different people, and some more metaphysical topics involving spirit/soul in regards to bonds/attachment and feelings of fulfillment in a relationship. Good times both playing through it and the feelings/thoughts it inspired after. Thank you for making this game, it has brought a little more joy to my life ^_^

I'm starting to think that it is a good idea for developers putting out free games to put up donation options. If people feel inclined to give you a little money in thanks to show their appreciation then you can always put it towards your next project, buy yourself something nice, or if nothing else give it to your favourite charity. Consider it.

I would be interested in a sequel too ^_^

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#34 Post by sake-bento »

I've been watching your progress eagerly, and I'm happy to say that the final product doesn't disappoint. It's a beautiful and thought-provoking story, and I really enjoyed reading it. I especially appreciate the fact that her friends all had distinct and likable personalities rather than being just "the friends." The character designs were interesting, and the CGs were especially lovely.

Thank you very much to everyone who worked on this.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#35 Post by Watercolorheart »

It would be both, carosene. I'm sure even professional VN circles release doujin stuff on the side, under their official names or not. (lol)

And why do it if not for the love of art?

I really need to get back to playing it... maybe tonight, but I doubt it :<.
I'm not even the same person anymore

carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

#36 Post by carosene »

Thank you everyone for responding. o.o Sorry, I should've replied more consistantly. I'll try to reply to everyone, please look through this post for your comments!

To Kura:
Kura wrote:First of all, congrats on finishing this! Been keeping an eye on it for while and it's really exciting to see it done.

Second, I apologize for the length of this post. I analyze too much.
Thanks so much for following it. :D And never apologzie! XD It's enormously flattering that you'd look at the game so in-depth. :)
Kura wrote:
I don't even know that I have words for how Jude's destruction scene affected me. Just so powerful, and so grotesquely beautiful, and brilliant, right down to the fact that it was a metal baseball bat (I love the reciprocation that that implies). The way Jude was so dedicated to her without even having the chance to bond over time like Elly had, what it said about Autumn's dedication to Elly, the sense that her assenting to Jude's backup was something of a breakthrough in Autumn's ability to love... It was a gloriously climatic as I could have wanted. And it left me wondering if Jude wanted to be a real boy.
Thank you! :D I'm glad you liked the repeat of the baseball bat. I was afraid that seemed unrealistic or dumb. ^-^;;
That's a good question! Whether he wanted to be a real boy or not... I don't know what the answer would be, since being an android got him killed-kinda.
Kura wrote:
Elly's interrogation scene was another one that floored me. One more thing I loved: Autumn's commentary on "programming". Jude might be saying he loves her because he's programmed to flatter clients, but all the same Elly might have said she loves Autumn because she was programmed to care, and Autumn's programmed to feel good whe she's told she's loved.
Glad you liked the programming stuff. XD I had a lot of fun with those concepts.
Kura wrote:I loved the art. Sprites were spectcularly expressive (I love Elly's shocked face/pose so much~), and as for the CGs... the snuggly ones were all super adorable (the pizza one actully made me "Bawww"), and that one last CG, wow. I seriously just stared in awe for a minute. Such a powerful, fascinating image.
I will admit I have a morbid fascination with the image of half-dissembled androids. In one of my own works, an android takes herself apart after her creator dies, and it's one of my favorite scenes.
I had a great team of artists. 8D I <3 them quite a lot. My lineartist, Leaux, especially came through and drew everything better than I had imagined.
Kura wrote:And while I do agree that authorial intent is fairly irrelevant, I really appreciated the notes (I love to analyze, but I'm dense, and don't always look close unless I'm told to).
I'm very glad to hear you liked them. XD I was afraid that my notes were just self-indulgent and me taking myself too seriously.
Also, will you be willing to write my notes for my next game? You're analyzing my game more eloquently than I did. XD
Kura wrote:
Lastly, thanks for pointing out that the title can refer to multiple things. I fell too easily into the trap of "it means love!" but I really like the idea of humanity--or rather, that perhaps-mythical unique and quintessential "human-ness"--as cheap in that it can arguably be manufactured (I certainly feel that if there is such a "human-ness", Elly and Jude both achieved it), but sacred in that people put so much stock in it and want to believe that it can't be mimicked.
We're the same. XD Secret: I came up with the title as a vague way to refer to love. XD And thankfully it was so vague that I realized there were more themes in the game that could also make sense in the title. Especially the "cheapness" of humanity, as you mention. You can ask BCS or Morhighan, the game originally began with a strange ramble where Autumn described humanity in robotics terms--"I was manufactured in a small unit that grew and relied on units that were of the same make as myself and my unit increased in size with time" but it was so vague and confusing (and perhaps out of character, compared to her later rejection of Jude because he's a "slab of plastic and metal," as she/I like to say.) that I changed it.
Kura wrote:So all in all, thanks for making something so amazing. This has actually given me something to aspire toward with my own WIP. Also definitely going onto my little list of VN recommendations.
Thank you so much. :) I'm very honored to hear that it inspired you. And thanks for recommending it!! XD Pimp this sucker!!

To everyone else:
Elenakiara wrote: This story actually reminded me a little of I Robot, which was a movie that I liked, so it was a plus. xD <3 I'm not going to comment too much, since I feel like the past reviews pretty much say exactly what I would like to have said. :) Good job! <3
Also, for some reason, Elly reminded me of a dog, especially a pit-bull. Mostly because that all dogs love their master more than anything in the world and want to protect them if needed. I remember watching and episode of the Dog Whisperer, where he was training a pit-bull who had a 'weak' owner. So, the dog really felt compelled to protect her no matter what. So, even after weeks and months of training, when the owner came to see the dog and was sitting next to Caesar Milan, Daddy(his pit-bull) approached the owner just out of curiosity. Her pit-bull thought that he was going to hurt her and instantly attacked Daddy. Later, when they got them separated at first, the dog was in a cage, just like Elly was. She didn't feel anything bad towards Daddy, as later they showed them being alright with each other, but she simply felt the need to protect her master no matter what. It was a factor in me feeling sad at first as I read the story, as it really reminded me of this case. >_<
First comparison to I Robot! I actually haven't seen it (and/or read it) yet. o.o I may have to do change that.
I love your pit-bull comparison! XD That is strangely apt. Love and protectiveness makes dogs/robots/people do strange things.
Ellume wrote:I very briefly skimmed over the majority of the other posts but didn't fully read them.

I found the story really touching. I didn't cry, and I usually don't, but it did inspire a decent amount of contemplation. I enjoyed the bonus section with your thoughts, I didn't read them until a day after finishing the game though so I could think about it on my own first. Stuff like attachment to inanimate or digital things, beliefs about sexuality in regards to what does it mean or signify to different people, and some more metaphysical topics involving spirit/soul in regards to bonds/attachment and feelings of fulfillment in a relationship. Good times both playing through it and the feelings/thoughts it inspired after. Thank you for making this game, it has brought a little more joy to my life ^_^

I'm starting to think that it is a good idea for developers putting out free games to put up donation options. If people feel inclined to give you a little money in thanks to show their appreciation then you can always put it towards your next project, buy yourself something nice, or if nothing else give it to your favourite charity. Consider it.

I would be interested in a sequel too ^_^
I consider inspiring contemplation and joy a complete win! XD
Woah, reading your thoughts list kind of blows my brain. o.o
I actually didn't think about spirit/soul in regards to the body and relationships. Like, I never carried that metaphor back to the humans. Your thinking is making me think. XD
I'm glad you liked the bonus section. o.o As I mentioned to Kura, I was afraid it was too self-indulgent.

Do you think I should? o.o I'm not sure how that would work especially because my artists all worked for free. Are other free game makers doing this? How do they sort this out?
I'm happy to hear you're interested in a sequel! XD We'll see if that comes about.
sake-bento wrote:I've been watching your progress eagerly, and I'm happy to say that the final product doesn't disappoint. It's a beautiful and thought-provoking story, and I really enjoyed reading it. I especially appreciate the fact that her friends all had distinct and likable personalities rather than being just "the friends." The character designs were interesting, and the CGs were especially lovely.

Thank you very much to everyone who worked on this.
"Doesn't disappoint" is a huge compliment. XD
I'm glad you though the friends were likeable rather than creepy. XD
Zoe's abusive, Nadiya is a regular AmorBot user, Rick's participation with Operation Jude is a little strange...
Though it was important to me that her friends were real-ish. It sounds like I suceeded!

Also, I'm honored to hear your comments on TCAST. :) Like everyone else, I'm a huge fan of Re:Alistair++ and I was actually playing Summer Story while waiting for the Comcast guy to turn the internet back on so I could upload the game files onto the forums. XD (I know, I'm behind.)
BCS wrote:It would be both, carosene. I'm sure even professional VN circles release doujin stuff on the side, under their official names or not. (lol)

And why do it if not for the love of art?

I really need to get back to playing it... maybe tonight, but I doubt it :<.
I see... XD That's a good point. Yay for art love!
Lol, you know the game, you've seen the backgrounds, no point in rushing. XD
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

nefferinthia
Regular

#37 Post by nefferinthia »

Wow, I played this and it completely blew my mind! I really appreciate how you could make me feel for the characters in such a short time, they seemed very realistic. Your writing is also really pleasant to read. I liked the straight-forwardness. I'm sorry I can't leave any deep, analyzing comments but please know that I loved your game and if you were to make a sequel I would definitely support you <3 I think the story has a lot of options for the future~

Esphirisa
Regular

#38 Post by Esphirisa »

I don't think the story NEEDS a sequel; the ending leaves us to contemplate(in a good way and not at all like those frustrating cliffhangers). However, I would love to play the sequel if you're making one, and I don't mind waiting for one! Quick question that has been bothering me a little... is Zoe a female or a male? Judging from Zoe's name, Zoe ought to be a female, but...

Anyways, your VN almost made me cried. It had a kinda bittersweet end, and several scenes were very sweet. It left me thinking about humanity and robots, a very interesting and philosophic subject. I also liked how you didn't seem to refer to the characters as people you've "created", but as individuals in the bonus section. (At least that's the way it seemed to me... I'm not making much sense, am I?) All in all, I think this tale can be explored further (sequeeel!) and I commend you for your awesome work! BTW, the sprites, BGs and CGs were great too.

Ellume
Regular

#39 Post by Ellume »

carosene wrote: I consider inspiring contemplation and joy a complete win! XD
Woah, reading your thoughts list kind of blows my brain. o.o
I actually didn't think about spirit/soul in regards to the body and relationships. Like, I never carried that metaphor back to the humans. Your thinking is making me think. XD
My world tends to revolve around a number of the more metaphysical aspects of life, but I also think it is great fun ^_^
carosene wrote:Do you think I should? o.o I'm not sure how that would work especially because my artists all worked for free. Are other free game makers doing this? How do they sort this out?
I'm happy to hear you're interested in a sequel! XD We'll see if that comes about.
In terms of donations some developers do have the option, and it seems incredibly easy to do as paypal gives you everything you need https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd= ... ro-outside . You can then always split it between everyone involved and gift it on paypal to them. Gifting money from one paypal account to another has no charges associated with it. If it even gets you enough to buy a drink for everyone, it seems worth it to me. And if it brings in more then you expect all the better imo. I would toss over a dollar or two as thanks myself ^_^

clannadman

#40 Post by clannadman »

That was brilliant :) Very interesting and philosophical and very powerful at the end when Nadiya cruelly scraps her old MyPal as a contrast to Autumn. Great game and I look forward to Darlings Lost :D

carosene
Veteran

#41 Post by carosene »

Harumi Fujyoshi wrote:Wow, I played this and it completely blew my mind! I really appreciate how you could make me feel for the characters in such a short time, they seemed very realistic. Your writing is also really pleasant to read. I liked the straight-forwardness. I'm sorry I can't leave any deep, analyzing comments but please know that I loved your game and if you were to make a sequel I would definitely support you <3 I think the story has a lot of options for the future~
Thanks for your compliments! :D I'm glad you could feel for the characters, if not than the story wouldn't work at all. XD
Thanks for the support! :D I am considering it, we'll see what happens.
Esphirisa wrote:I don't think the story NEEDS a sequel; the ending leaves us to contemplate(in a good way and not at all like those frustrating cliffhangers). However, I would love to play the sequel if you're making one, and I don't mind waiting for one! Quick question that has been bothering me a little... is Zoe a female or a male? Judging from Zoe's name, Zoe ought to be a female, but...

Anyways, your VN almost made me cried. It had a kinda bittersweet end, and several scenes were very sweet. It left me thinking about humanity and robots, a very interesting and philosophic subject. I also liked how you didn't seem to refer to the characters as people you've "created", but as individuals in the bonus section. (At least that's the way it seemed to me... I'm not making much sense, am I?) All in all, I think this tale can be explored further (sequeeel!) and I commend you for your awesome work! BTW, the sprites, BGs and CGs were great too.

That's where I am too. XD The story doesn't need a sequel, but it might be awesome.
Lol! XD Zoe is female. She's just tall. But she has boobs. Tall girls FTW!

Totally makes sense! When I wrote the bonus section I tried to approach the subject like I was analyzing someone else's work. (I'm an English major, that's what I do. XD) Also because, like I mentioned, authorial intent is crap, just because I made my characters doesn't mean that I know more about them than any reader does.
Thanks for the art compliments! I had the good luck to work with a really amazing talented team. :)
Ellume wrote:You can then always split it between everyone involved and gift it on paypal to them. Gifting money from one paypal account to another has no charges associated with it. If it even gets you enough to buy a drink for everyone, it seems worth it to me. And if it brings in more then you expect all the better imo. I would toss over a dollar or two as thanks myself ^_^
Thanks for the idea and good wishes! I don't think that would work for TCAST (namely because I've lost contact with some of my artists, including Leaux o.o) but I might consider it for the future. :)
clannadman wrote:That was brilliant :) Very interesting and philosophical and very powerful at the end when Nadiya cruelly scraps her old MyPal as a contrast to Autumn. Great game and I look forward to Darlings Lost :D
So glad to hear you enjoyed it! :D And thanks for following it in the WIP thread!
XD I wrestled with that epilogue a lot and I'm glad you enjoyed.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Verity
Regular
Projects: Wanderer

#42 Post by Verity »

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed the game! :D I'm really proud to have worked on it; it came out great. I have to say, even knowing what the CGs would look like, the moments they were used I found to still be really powerful. The ending ;_;

carosene
Veteran

#43 Post by carosene »

VERITY! :D You found us!
I definitely couldn't have done it without you. o.o Thank you!
I don't know if you noticed, but in the bonus gallery I included the full-color picture of the menu picture that you did and I was like "I wanted it grayscale..." and made you re-do it. ^-^;; I just thought it was cool and worth throwing in as an extra.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#44 Post by EternalDream »

Oh my god, that was such a nice read *v*
The ending and everything was very powerful. To me, it wasn't that sad, but it left this heavy feeling in my chest...
especially when Jude and Autumn were having their last moments together ;A;
Doesn't help that Jude is actually my type... :'D

I think you did a very good job in writing it. :D I really liked the pacing and the amount of information you gave, which was just the right amount. There were no info dumps and yet there was enough that I understood what was going on. I'd definitely play your next game, if you are making another one xD

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#45 Post by PyTom »

So, I went into this somewhat predisposed against it. While I generally like science fiction, I had been worried that this was hewing too close to the movie A.I. - and generally, I stay away from a female point of view. But based on the wonderful reviews this has been getting, I tried it anyway.

I'm really glad I did. While I'm not the right person to say something eloquent about it, I really enjoyed this short emotional science fiction story.
First comparison to I Robot! I actually haven't seen it (and/or read it) yet. o.o I may have to do change that.
Read the original book - the movie with that title is a perfectly fine action movie, but it isn't I, Robot. (Harlan Ellison's screenplay is - but read the original first.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom