Ah! Peku... GAME WIP

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Dream9
Regular
Completed: MiniBot
Projects: Ah! Peku

Ah! Peku... GAME WIP

#1 Post by Dream9 »

Ah! Peku

Alrighty! 2nd game in the making with ideas for more to come ^_^ I love ren'py <3 Thank you PyTom!

This game is called "Ah! Peku"... its another simulation/rpg game, except built to look like a hand held device game. It is also appears to be a platforming game:

The game itself is about a bird. One day, you wake up to a large crash after watching a meteor shower the night before. When you step outside, you see an impact in your lawn, but instead of a meteor, its an egg. After it hatches, and you learn more about it, it turns out it is a Peku bird. It rolled off the moon and fell to Earth. Your mission in the game is to keep the bird safe (although the police want to take it away) until it's strong enough to fly back to the moon. <3

Here's some pics of the map. I will probably be editing them and making them look less similar. (You'd get tired of seeing tree after tree that look the same). I want the graphics to be really beautiful and unique. Which they aren't right now, lol:

...and I have the hard part done. I already have a fully functioning "move around" system. It is able to recognize which space in the grid the character is at, and can determine if it has a left, right, up, or down boundary. Here's the base I made for the sprites! I love Ren'py's filmstrip function. It saved me from saving each image separately. I think it was a difference of like 100 images. (btw, I just realized this was the old version. The left and right steps are flipped since it reads top to bottom). <3

Oh, and the people won't just be tiny sprites... they'll have bigger images when you physically talk to them. This is George (Creative name, huh?):

The buttons on the "device" are fully functioning, so it can be played with the mouse... or, if you like, you can switch it to keyboard control:

There will also be 3 minigames, which earn you points. Points are the equivalence to money. For example, here is the game you enter when you look through the telescope at your house:

So yeah! I'm super excited. Here's the progress so far:

Storyline: 80%
Graphics: 60%
Code: 30%
Music: 1% (hehe... I have like 1 sound effect so far xD)

Let me know what you think!
Last edited by Dream9 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Ah! Peku... GAME WIP

#2 Post by Alex »

Sounds interesting and looking nice...)
Definitely want to try it.

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#3 Post by HikkiPanda »

this looks interesting X3 !!

ah, but since Peku is from the moon, maybe it will look better if Peku have a different look from the majority of earth's birds? Like make Peku rounder and more chubby <3 ! more fluffly and maybe colorful tail etc?

Can you evolve Peku? like maybe we will have different evolution branch according to how we raise Peku and the choices we take during conversation o: ?

Dream9
Regular

#4 Post by Dream9 »

@ Alex: Thanks! :D

@ HikkiPanda:
HikkiPanda wrote:this looks interesting X3 !!

ah, but since Peku is from the moon, maybe it will look better if Peku have a different look from the majority of earth's birds? Like make Peku rounder and more chubby <3 ! more fluffly and maybe colorful tail etc?

Can you evolve Peku? like maybe we will have different evolution branch according to how we raise Peku and the choices we take during conversation o: ?
Yes, actually x3 Peku has 5 stages (including the egg). Currently I have only 1 appearance for it, but I was considering maybe the different colored ones having different looks, or yeah, based on the choices or the food you feed it, have it become fluffier or such. ^_^

There is also a meteor bird (another character in the game) x3 He's uber chubby and cute... so I guess it kinda took Peku's place as an exotic bird, haha. I'll have to consider redoing Peku's design.

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#5 Post by EternalDream »

Wow, this looks like it will turn out to be a nice game C:
The graphics are so cute >w<b
I'll be adding this to my "to play" list as soon as it's finished~

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#6 Post by HikkiPanda »

Dream9 wrote:Yes, actually x3 Peku has 5 stages (including the egg). Currently I have only 1 appearance for it, but I was considering maybe the different colored ones having different looks, or yeah, based on the choices or the food you feed it, have it become fluffier or such. ^_^

There is also a meteor bird (another character in the game) x3 He's uber chubby and cute... so I guess it kinda took Peku's place as an exotic bird, haha. I'll have to consider redoing Peku's design.
ooh, using food to evolve, nice !!

you can use the current design to use in one of the evolution branch, maybe the one that will turn peku into cool bird ^^

oh, and i'm not sure if this is good or not, but maybe give legs to the eggs o.o? or maybe the second step of evolution is egg with legs :P .. not sure though ^^;

Mild Curry
Regular
Projects: That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#7 Post by Mild Curry »

Oh my goodness! This looks like the best thing ever!

The story is cute, the gameplay seems engaging, and the graphics are downright adorable!

I am super excited to see how this turns out.

Dream9
Regular

#8 Post by Dream9 »

@ HikkiPanda:
HikkiPanda wrote: ooh, using food to evolve, nice !!

you can use the current design to use in one of the evolution branch, maybe the one that will turn peku into cool bird ^^

oh, and i'm not sure if this is good or not, but maybe give legs to the eggs o.o? or maybe the second step of evolution is egg with legs :P .. not sure though ^^;
Haha x3 eggs with legs would be funny! It could have its beak and wings stick out too, so it still has the egg body and can't see, lol. Idk though. I'll consider it :P

I was thinking having one branch could be furry, one have really cool feathers, and one have spikes (or something along those lines).

@ Mild Curry:

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it is turning out. x3 I'm chugging away at finishing the rest of the map and 2 mini-games. Once those are done, it shouldnt take long to program the events and storyline.

Kurumii

#9 Post by Kurumii »

C: Looks fun, I can't wait!
Occupation;; A leech part-time working leech. > n>

Dream9
Regular

#10 Post by Dream9 »

Kurumii wrote:C: Looks fun, I can't wait!
^_^