artist question[me no likey]

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Snow Blossom
Veteran

Re: artist question[me no likey]

#16 Post by Snow Blossom »

Fawn wrote:Having low confidence helps, actually.
I could see how that works, but then again, you may never be satisfied with your work and end up driving yourself into a hole. D:
I find it easiest to skip the part in which I tear my hair out over how horrible my work is and move straight on to improving it. I just stare at it for a few seconds, pinpoint its flaws without letting the utter badness of them sink in yet, and then do what I think would make it look better. So once the drawing improves, I take in my success and end up gaining confidence.

Nebi
Regular
Projects: Greaves

#17 Post by Nebi »

There is nothing wrong with you. I'm am willing to bet that artists from all fields have felt that way at one point or another. It is not strange or unusual. People are naturally inspired by art; there is bound to be an influence based on a particular style or method. It is just a part of learning. At the beginning, everyone is trying to build up their foundations, but at some point in time they start to branch off, experiment new things and potentially come up with a unique style of their own. There are also those who prefer to deviate from the accepted norm, who deliberately vary their work to create abstract imagery or otherwise things that do not, at first glance, appear to be "artistic" or in "harmony" with the times. If you go to an art museum or a contemporary art gallery, you may find works of art that you have trouble wrapping your head around. If you ask me, some of them look pretty wonky.

At some point an artist will feel like they have reached a plateau; they feel that they have built up a suitable foundation and can, with ease, create works that draw words of praise from the general public. It is then that the artist starts to question their purpose. Some are content to stick with a particular style for their whole careers, while others may explore other avenues. I guess it all depends on what you are aiming for.

There is only one way to reach those plateaus - lots of practice. Whether you are trying to master anatomy, color theory, mechanical design, perspective, lighting, etc practicing with guidance is the surest way to go in my opinion.

Arcanum
Veteran

#18 Post by Arcanum »

I find that leaving your work alone helps a lot. If you aren't satisfied with it, come back later, after you've drawn other things, lived through other experiences. Your eye and your hand will also have gotten unused to the drawing again, so you'll be able to work more freely.

Having a critic point of view of your own artwork and wanting to improve isn't a bad thing, because in no way we can get "satisfied" and suddenly stop trying to improve. Pushing ourselves is what makes us better. Still, you have to get used that you aren't as bad as you were the day before, but won't be as good as you will be in the next day.

Also, if you're working in a project, say, a VN, try sticking to what you know, it'll make it easier for you to finish it and provoke less frustration. Experimentation is great, but it might make things more difficult if you have a large project.

mooo

#19 Post by mooo »

@arcanum i dont have a tablet and a scanner is... far away. i'm... ok at drawing on paper but even if i scanned my drawings i am not sure how much use they would be for a VN not to mention i cant digitally color them.