What makes characters likeable?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

What makes characters likeable?

#1 Post by azureXtwilight »

Yeah, that's basically it.

I saw the "Your favorite OELVN characters" and wonder what the factors that makes a character likeable. I can get pleased very easily, so I can like characters that does not fall under the tropes, like what they did. To me, almost every character in umineko are likeable because each of them is unique and they have their own epic moment.

And your opinion?

clannadman

Re: What makes characters likeable?

#2 Post by clannadman »

If they're honest and they come through for people who need it. Very simple but just generally good-natured people who don't end up screwing others over.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#3 Post by Fawn »

Unique characters with some depth who have quirks. Stereotypes are okay if the character has a personality beyond "The hot badass guy" or "the cute little girl". I like being surprised when a stereotypical character breaks their mold and shows their whole self. For example, the nice girl who secretly has a lot of built up frustration she can't release because she's afraid to be herself. Or, a more specific example, Ryuuji from ToraDora! he looks like he's evil, but he's a really nice caring (not to mention OCD) responsible guy. He could have been a typical protagonist character, but the author really went far with his character.

Arcanum
Veteran

#4 Post by Arcanum »

I believe flaws make liking and identifying with a character more easily, specially if he suffers consequences for his wrongdoings. No one is perfect, therefore someone who's good at heart yet makes mistakes is relatable to most of the players.

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#5 Post by wingzofdarkness »

I think it is really has to do with your taste, personality, age, and how you relate to a character. Um...wait, that is basically everything...

Well, I can only speak for myself but I like characters that have strong determination and are passionate. Those that are weak-willed and innocent are not my cup of tea. However, there are several ways weak-willed characters can be likable. I guess it really depends on how the author sets up the character's background.

Majority of the time, it is because I can relate to them or because their personality is unpredictable =]

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

I like characters who are cute in appearance and personality.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

xelacroix
Regular
Projects: beautiful girls

#7 Post by xelacroix »

ur avatar sux...

make them pleasing to the eyes.

like nero dmc4, erza scarlett

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#8 Post by babyfish »

xelacroix wrote:ur avatar sux...
That's a bit rich coming from someone without an avatar, or at least one that they've created themselves. What spurred on that comment, I wonder?

I find characters likable when they show charming, funny, or adorable quirks. I tend to find that these quirks really stand out the most when the characters are made to move out of their comfort zones. People tend to show their true selves when they're in danger, when they're in love, or when they're in an embarrassing situation. I really like characters who either overreact (or even underreact) to different situations, especially when its a way that's completely out there and unexpected.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#9 Post by azureXtwilight »

Post reported. Kinda off topic and insulting.

Hmm, so what babyfish means it making a dangerous situation and show how someone react?
What if the story is kinda slice-of-life-ish? How can we find that unnoticeable quirks? :)

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#10 Post by babyfish »

azureXtwilight wrote: Hmm, so what babyfish means it making a dangerous situation and show how someone react?
What if the story is kinda slice-of-life-ish? How can we find that unnoticeable quirks? :)
Slice-of-life is still full of interesting situations that people can react to. Being late for class, bumping into a crush in the hallway, getting hit in the head by a basketball, getting bullied by jerks at school, failing a test...

And I wouldn't say these quirks are all that 'unnoticeable', just that they only appear occasionally. People tend to have a 'real' personality underneath their 'superficial' personality. A shy and polite person may have incredible courage and will in stressful situations. A real tough guy may be a blushing bumbler when he's around the girl he likes.

So, you could say that I like characters that surprise me in some way.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#11 Post by Aleema »

I like funny characters, and underdogs. BONUS POINTS IF BOTH. In conflicts, they don't withdraw and think they can't do anything and refused to even if asked. Passiveness is and always will be a dislikable trait to me. I don't like one-note characters that can be described very easily: "she's always happy" "he's a nerd" etc. Growth and change is something I want to see in most characters, and I want to see them at the best and worst. Perfect all the time = boring. Cranky all the time = just as bad.

In romance interests, I like characters that show an interest in the other party, like ... a smile, a secret look, showing concern, etc. Not outright "I like you!!" but subtle things that show that one is starting to get accustomed to your presence. When someone does that, I just buckle.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#12 Post by Fawn »

Kinda seems like everyone's posting the exact same thing, haha.

General consensus so far: Surprise us, don't make your characters' personalities strictly based on stereotype, and make sure they have backbones/feelings that vary.

Also, @xelacroix:

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#13 Post by azureXtwilight »

@Fawn : A bit offtopic but is that house? XD

So that means non-stereotypical ones that people like. Kinda make me wonder why stereotypics are almost always used in japanese otome games... :)

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by OtomeWeekend »

"japanese" otome games are stereotypical? :/ I think this just doesn't work in Japanese otome games but to any other games whether its made in America or in other countries.

Also, stereotypicals are the main reason why a character becomes popular(I dunno if anyone noticed it or very few did). If I said, "I like bad guys, those who kick butts!" I'm already liking the stereotypical guy as he is cause... give me the list of those kind of guys and you'll fill the paper as to how many there is. If you said, "I like a kind of person which is like a real person" now, I don't believe he doesn't exist in the gaming world. No matter what uniqueness we say, there is always and always a character who would already make it a stereotype. The world has revolved for 2011 years now....
...Err... I don't mean any offense but just wanna say my opinion that there was nothing unique in this world anymore TT_TT I'm sad to this news to but we gotta look in the reality.

On topic, The kind of character I want is the kind that has a touching story...(and did I mention that Oswald of FRoT reminds me of Doukisai/Yamamoto Kannosuke of Nise no Chigiri, but I both love the characters though I gotta admit they've cliched each other). I don't really give a damn on stereotypes and cliches, if I love the guy, I love the guy. That's all that matters.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#15 Post by azureXtwilight »

@Otomeweekend : Sure, sure. I can see your point XD