Fontsize and UI questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.

Fontsize and UI questions

#1 Post by Guest »

Well i'm new to Ren'Py (just dl'ed it today) but i'm already starting to like it.

I have some questions:

1. How do i change the font size?
2. How can i make a map that the player can click on in different regions to go to different locations (scenes)?
3. How do i make a background box for the choice menus? (i want to put them in a frame on the side of the screen)

Also, i want to report a bug:

When you play a midi file in Ren'Py, it can't be stopped.

I have found a workaround though: create a blank wav file by right-click->new->winamp media file, change its extension to .mid and instruct Ren'Py to play this file when i need the music turned off, and it works ;)

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Th3_uN1Qu3

#2 Post by Th3_uN1Qu3 »

lol i've first posted as guest, forgot to log in :D Sorry!
hope for the best and prepare for the worst ;-)

Dis
Regular
Projects: Angel of Love,Forgotten,War's Fate, D

#3 Post by Dis »

Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote: 1. How do i change the font size?
Eileen in Renpy Demo wrote: e "They can make the font size {size=+12}bigger{/size} or
{size=-8}smaller{/size}."
Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote: Also, i want to report a bug:

That’s not a bug.
You need to use this command when you want to stop your music:
$ renpy.music_stop()
Where there's a will there's a way.

Project D:AoL
Special Thanks for their motivation and support to: BCS, Enerccio, mikey, monele, PyTom, yvanc, mugenjohncel, Sai

Th3_uN1Qu3

#4 Post by Th3_uN1Qu3 »

Dis wrote:
Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote: 1. How do i change the font size?
Eileen in Renpy Demo wrote: e "They can make the font size {size=+12}bigger{/size} or
{size=-8}smaller{/size}."
Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote: Also, i want to report a bug:

That’s not a bug.
You need to use this command when you want to stop your music:
$ renpy.music_stop()
Okay thanks. I forgot to put the () at the end of the music_stop command ^^ , now it works just fine.

And where am i supposed to put the {size}?

(edit) i watched the demo once more and saw that i can change the fontsize for a specific word or line. I want to change the fontsize for the whole game (you know, the default size looks too big in 640x480).

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

(edit) i watched the demo once more and saw that i can change the fontsize for a specific word or line. I want to change the fontsize for the whole game (you know, the default size looks too big in 640x480)

Code: Select all

$ style.default.size = 30
Sets the font size to 30.

Though, 648x480 resolution is quite outdated. You really should probably be using at least 800x600

#6 Post by Guest »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:
(edit) i watched the demo once more and saw that i can change the fontsize for a specific word or line. I want to change the fontsize for the whole game (you know, the default size looks too big in 640x480)

$ style.default.size = 30
Sets the font size to 30.
Thanks man.
ShiraiJunichi wrote:Though, 648x480 resolution is quite outdated. You really should probably be using at least 800x600
Yeah, i know that. But i ain't so good at drawing art for a game of my own so i decided to do a remake of an older game, 'Nocturnal Illusion', to learn coding in Ren'Py. If i resize the pics to a higher res they look bad, you know that.

I have one more question.

How can i do a menu choice that you click once, displays some text then returns you to the choices menu, then when you click it the second time, it displays some other text? (you know, how all the hgames used to be).

Th3_uN1Qu3

#7 Post by Th3_uN1Qu3 »

(damn i forgot to login again :P)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#8 Post by mikey »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:Though, 648x480 resolution is quite outdated. You really should probably be using at least 800x600
640x480 is the coolest resolution ever. Okay? :wink: Seriously, I like it! I don't know what can possibly be wrong with 640x480, that's why I use it in all my projects ^_^. La resistance! Say no to 800x600 and other aristocratic high resolutions!

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

you know, how all the hgames used to be
Actually, I don't know... But I think I know what you're looking for- try pasting this into your script to see how it works. Basically, it just uses a variable to see how many times the first option is selected, and does different stuff depending on the variable's value.

$ count = 0
    menu menu1:
        "What should I do?"
        "Say hello":
            if count == 0:
                $ count = count + 1
                "...hello?"
                "..."
                "She's not answering..."
                jump menu1
            elif count == 1:
                $ count = count + 1
                "HELLO! CAN YOU HEAR ME?"
                "...nothing"
                jump menu1
            elif count == 2:
                "HELLO?!?! ANYBODY HOME?"
                "..."
                "tch, forget this..."
        "Ignore her":
            "She's not worth my time, so I just leave..."
mikey wrote:Say no to 800x600 and other aristocratic high resolutions!
Everyone should adopt a resolution of 1280x960! It's the future of visual novels!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

mikey wrote:640x480 is the coolest resolution ever. Okay? :wink:
I actually consider going down to 640 for any new project... I just demand too much of Ren'Py graphically for filling 800x600 pixels 30 times per second :p
Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote:i decided to do a remake of an older game, 'Nocturnal Illusion', to learn coding in Ren'Py. If i resize the pics to a higher res they look bad, you know that.
Mm... A Nocturnal Illusion remake with updated graphics... Now that would be cool ^^ (at least take advantage of 32bits for colors ^^)

Th3_uN1Qu3

#11 Post by Th3_uN1Qu3 »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:
you know, how all the hgames used to be
Actually, I don't know... But I think I know what you're looking for- try pasting this into your script to see how it works. Basically, it just uses a variable to see how many times the first option is selected, and does different stuff depending on the variable's value.

$ count = 0
    menu menu1:
        "What should I do?"
        "Say hello":
            if count == 0:
                $ count = count + 1
                "...hello?"
                "..."
                "She's not answering..."
                jump menu1
            elif count == 1:
                $ count = count + 1
                "HELLO! CAN YOU HEAR ME?"
                "...nothing"
                jump menu1
            elif count == 2:
                "HELLO?!?! ANYBODY HOME?"
                "..."
                "tch, forget this..."
        "Ignore her":
            "She's not worth my time, so I just leave..."
Thanks man. After correcting a few "x statement does not expect a block" errors in your code, everything works just fine.
monele wrote:Mm... A Nocturnal Illusion remake with updated graphics... Now that would be cool ^^ (at least take advantage of 32bits for colors ^^)
Yeah... i just loved that game (though Divi-Dead was the best hgame i ever played, Nocturnal Illusion was my first one)

I'm still thinking if i should leave the original look (that blue frame) or extend all pics to fullscreen. Anyway, i increased the bitdepth of the pics to 24bpp, resized them to 640x405 (that's the res which i get when i resize the pictures that appear inside the frame, i'll leave it like this coz i don't wanna screw the aspect ratio) and smoothed them a little to eliminate that dithering. They look SO DAMN SWEET :!:

I was also thinking what i'm supposed to do with the hscenes, coz they are in full 640x480 with no frames, but they do have black bars at the top and bottom so the actual pic is smaller and i have plenty of room to cut it to 640x405 (i guess that'll be the final res of this remake).
Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#12 Post by Watercolorheart »

You know, for a while, I was going to go for the 1000-something x whatever resolution to match my own monitor settings. Believe me, when you start out vector, it's hard not to make large images once you're used to it ... in fact, takes the same amount of effort to color them in Adobe Photoship CS since I always zoom them in or out to fit the screen.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by monele »

Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote:i increased the bitdepth of the pics to 24bpp, resized them to 640x405 (that's the res which i get when i resize the pictures that appear inside the frame, i'll leave it like this coz i don't wanna screw the aspect ratio) and smoothed them a little to eliminate that dithering. They look SO DAMN SWEET :!:
Good to know you've already smoothed them ^^
I was also thinking what i'm supposed to do with the hscenes
Hm.. I almost forgot this was a H game... ^^;
coz they are in full 640x480 with no frames, but they do have black bars at the top and bottom so the actual pic is smaller and i have plenty of room to cut it to 640x405 (i guess that'll be the final res of this remake).
Well I guess the black bars can go ? I don't remember exactly the whole layout of the game but I don't think changing the interface to optimize things is a ... bad thing :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#14 Post by PyTom »

BCS wrote:You know, for a while, I was going to go for the 1000-something x whatever resolution to match my own monitor settings.
I actually am recommending against this, for now. That's alot of pixels that need to be thrown at the screen, and dealing with those pixels takes more time.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom