(P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: (P)lanets!

#166 Post by azureXtwilight »

I know I'm awesome.

I hereby declare HARUHI IS CANON.

Period.

8D

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#167 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

I don't know why, but the song played at the scene where
Marin was chasing Kaius into the woods made me in verge of tears....
God, I'm so EMO! xD Would you mind telling me where you found that music, teacup?

Anyway, I've only finished Kaius' perfect ending and it satisfied me in every way almost becoming sinful to sustain :mrgreen:
So far, there are a few grammar and spelling mistakes and the CGs do have anatomy errors but I never minded them since I enjoy the game enough :D
Playing through Lucan's path now, have played Haruhi's which is quite charming ;)
And will be chasing Ryuu afterwards.

So, I'm here to say that this is one of the best otome games I've ever played!
Thank you for delighting my day, teacup! :D

Maverynthia
Regular

#168 Post by Maverynthia »

teacup wrote: @Maverynthia
I don't really understand your comment.
The game is rated 15+ for a reason, so you should expect there might be something in it that might be inappropriate to you. I did not make this game all ages for that reason. If you're referring to the scene I think you are (I could be wrong) pretty much nothing happens in it that would warrant a 'warning'. Sure if Marin actually got hurt or raped I would rate the game higher (probably 17+) but that didn't happen. Also I don't see how it's sexist, but that's your opinion.
It's not about "something inappropriate" it's about telling people that this game could contain scenes that would make them have flashbacks to their own rape, where all that trauma and emotion and such comes back to them to where they could actually get hurt. Some people have panic attacks like they were really back to the horrible things happening to them, some might even become suicidal because they had thought that was all behind them. They might pick up this game thinking it was a "cute game about school that might have some naughty shots" only to find out it was something as horrible as that.
Also it's not my opinion that it's sexist, you have the whole "jealous women" trope with the fan club, the "Oh you can't stop the fight your a girl", The part about her becoming a bride and of course the horrible misogyny of "You should have been more careful." after the attempted rape. Because you know, women are totally responsible for getting raped and not you know.. the rapists that raped them. I actually find it sad that you don't think any of that is sexist or misogynistic.

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#169 Post by Elze »

Cut her some slack. I think the 15+ rating is already a hint that something less innocent could happen. I've seen family-friendly soap operas on telly during the prime time slot with "close to rape or molest" scenes. & they don't give you a warning beforehand either. At least this one had a specific rating. If Teacup had written "there may be a close-to-rape scene" it'll spoil the story, and nothing actually happened in the story. There aren't any visuals either, so if anyone gets afraid he/she can close the game or click on it quickly without reading the text.

The "jealous women" trope is less of a sexist issue and more of a "shoujo manga/anime" stereotype. They exist in 3/4 of the shoujo stuff. As for the "you should have been more careful" part, it's not saying "you were asking for it". It's just the guy telling the girl to be careful because he's worried for her. For example, if I had a younger bro or sis and he/she were to walk in a dark alley alone at night or go up and talk to strangers, I'd be worried too. You're kinda reading a little too much into some of the things.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#170 Post by papillon »

It's considered polite in some quarters to provide a list of warnings for things in stories that are potentially upsetting - not necessarily up front in big letters because yes, that can be a plot spoiler, but available somewhere for people who wish to check. However, not everyone is familiar with that custom, so most people only put warnings for sexytimes or big gore. It's the same sort of thing really. Most of us understand that we shouldn't put full-on explicit sex in a game without some warning, but we're often less aware of other things that will be really problematic for some readers.

If you want to be helpful it can be a good idea to add a little footnote somewhere suggesting what kind of thing you're giving your game its rating for. You don't have to spell it out in great detail, a bland phrase like "suggested sexual violence" will give a headsup to people who might be freaked out by it without telling anyone exactly what happens in the story.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#171 Post by teacup »

@Eulu
I didn't find your comment negative at all ^^
Eulu wrote:
After I saw the bad ending, I was kinda like "oh shhh--", lmao. Suddenly Lucan did not seem sweet so much as bat-shit insane, and the entire time I was watching that perfect ending epilogue I kinda felt like that one person in a horror movie theatre, yelling at the chick not to go down the hallway because there's a killer inside. I do wonder what Lucan would do if him and Marin had some huge fall out?
XD That was left for your own interpretation. Lucan is really paranoid about being alone and having no one care about him, so who knows what would happen if Marin tried to break up with him...?
Thanks for the feedback!

@nero279
thanks so much :)
Hmm... I honestly cannot remember where I got that particular song, since I got music from many websites (which were listed in the credits). If you wish I could just send you the song directly. ^^

@Maverynthia
Well I don't agree with you at all. And it is your opinion that it's sexist, because it's my opinion that it's not. Just because you strongly believe it, does NOT make it a fact. Your opinion is not automatically right.
There was never any rape, mention of rape, or even 'close to rape'. She got drug into an alley, yes. Were her clothes ripped off, no. Was she hurt in any physical way, no. So, you are overreacting. I'll add that there's 'suggestive themes' in the rating but I'm not going to say something like 'The character could have been raped but she didn't get raped or even close so don't worry' because that's just ridiculous. :|
you have the whole "jealous women" trope with the fan club
If you actually played the game you would know there's a reason for the fan club and the 'jealous women' other than them just being horny teenage girls all over a guy.
And I actually find it sad that you've read so far into it to actually get offended.

Kyminara
Regular

#172 Post by Kyminara »

Elze wrote:Cut her some slack. I think the 15+ rating is already a hint that something less innocent could happen. I've seen family-friendly soap operas on telly during the prime time slot with "close to rape or molest" scenes. & they don't give you a warning beforehand either. At least this one had a specific rating. If Teacup had written "there may be a close-to-rape scene" it'll spoil the story, and nothing actually happened in the story. There aren't any visuals either, so if anyone gets afraid he/she can close the game or click on it quickly without reading the text.

The "jealous women" trope is less of a sexist issue and more of a "shoujo manga/anime" stereotype. They exist in 3/4 of the shoujo stuff. As for the "you should have been more careful" part, it's not saying "you were asking for it". It's just the guy telling the girl to be careful because he's worried for her. For example, if I had a younger bro or sis and he/she were to walk in a dark alley alone at night or go up and talk to strangers, I'd be worried too. You're kinda reading a little too much into some of the things.
I agree that such a specific warning is a bit much to ask for from a hobbyist's game, even if it wasn't a major plot spoiler. By the same trigger logic, several games on this site should have a warning "This game might trigger a seizure" just for the occasional full screen white and/or red flashes, but they don't.

However, I also think it can't be denied that there is some blaming the victim in the attempted rape scene. The narrator even bothers to mention that she has an alternative option of talking to other girls her age (also there late at night???), and chooses instead to walk into a dark corner with scary looking guys. It's the same kind of bonehead move as the guy in a horror movie who tells the group "Let's split up and search for the killer!!". It's stupid; the audience knows it's stupid; and it's absolutely necessary for getting to the next part of the plot. However, in the horror movie, you don't have anyone saying "Tsk Tsk. You should have called the police instead."
This story has the character make a mistake, almost get hurt, and then has someone point out her mistake as the reason - all with the strong implication that none of this would have happened if she had a guy with her at the time. The underlying messages are clear there, even if it wasn't intended that way.

Unfortunately, that kind of thing is also what we've come to expect from games, movies, anime, etc. I wouldn't have even bothered to mention it, but I thought people would at least recognise it for what it is.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#173 Post by teacup »

Kyminara wrote:
Elze wrote:Cut her some slack. I think the 15+ rating is already a hint that something less innocent could happen. I've seen family-friendly soap operas on telly during the prime time slot with "close to rape or molest" scenes. & they don't give you a warning beforehand either. At least this one had a specific rating. If Teacup had written "there may be a close-to-rape scene" it'll spoil the story, and nothing actually happened in the story. There aren't any visuals either, so if anyone gets afraid he/she can close the game or click on it quickly without reading the text.

However, I also think it can't be denied that there is some blaming the victim in the attempted rape scene. The narrator even bothers to mention that she has an alternative option of talking to other girls her age (also there late at night???), and chooses instead to walk into a dark corner with scary looking guys. It's the same kind of bonehead move as the guy in a horror movie who tells the group "Let's split up and search for the killer!!". It's stupid; the audience knows it's stupid; and it's absolutely necessary for getting to the next part of the plot. However, in the horror movie, you don't have anyone saying "Tsk Tsk. You should have called the police instead."
This story has the character make a mistake, almost get hurt, and then has someone point out her mistake as the reason - all with the strong implication that none of this would have happened if she had a guy with her at the time. The underlying messages are clear there, even if it wasn't intended that way.

Unfortunately, that kind of thing is also what we've come to expect from games, movies, anime, etc. I wouldn't have even bothered to mention it, but I thought people would at least recognise it for what it is.
I don't see how it's blaming the victim. The only thing Kaius said to her afterwards was 'why did you talk to those guys?'. He didn't say that it was her fault - he said he was worried about her. She was NOT blaming herself for getting attacked by the guys – she was upset that Kaius got hurt while she was fine.
Also, I don't understand what you mean 'this never would have happened if she had a guy there'. It wouldn't have happened if she had ANYONE there, even Ruiko, considering she wouldn't have needed to ask for help.
So if that somehow came across as blaming the victim, that wasn't my intention at all.

Shioriemei
Regular
Completed: Pink Carnations (GXB Otome)

#174 Post by Shioriemei »

Haru's path is not working o_o , after marin got expelled from planets, it was lucan's ending O.o" I am pretty sure i was in Kaius's path and chose "someone in mind" when principal asks. >_<

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#175 Post by LVUER »

Just finished the game. I really hope that Haru have his own path (T__T)

Anyway, his my personal review (could contain some rant):
The game is pretty good (awesome for free game standard) and the length is just perfect (again, for free game standard). When I first finished the game, I feel prologue would be needed as finishing touch but then I realized I still lack a CG. So I replayed the game and found that I made a mistake somewhere. After I got the perfect ending, I unlocked the prologue. After that I could say "Ah, this is a very nice conclusion" Very well done!

There are some typo here and there, but nothing serious (even commercial game still have some of them). Not kind that would easily noticeable even by a grammar checker software (like "this" become "his"). Some dialogue could be hard to be understand, but most of them are fine.

The game have a good balance between seriousness and comedy. Some events are really funny (my favorite is the baseball scene) and make me LOL-ed. The problem lies on the serious part though... some dialogues are just chessy and some events are... well, seems not crafted well enough. The event that stick out the most is when how Marin accidentally pushed Kaius over the fence. Seems every unlikely to happen (especially considering how weak Marin is). And some events could easily avoided if Marin have a little bit more common sense.

Also some events seems like disconnected with what's happening. Understandable since those particular events are played regardless what path is being played right now... but with a bit of more work, those could be avoided. The events that stick out the most is when Marin have to left the academy and how her own boyfriend doesn't see her off. What a cold-heart bastard!?

Almost (if not all) the character are cliche, especially the male romance-able characters. So most of the story and the result could be predicted. But at least some of them still breath something fresh and original, and the story and scene played out nicely, so it's not boring to play.

The sprite could definitely be better and polished some more. It's more than okay for free game standard though. Some CG places the characters in strange place, destroying the balance and composition. Some other takes wrong angle. Some events also feel don't needed CG while other events feels missing CG (sorry I couldn't be more detail). But overall, it's OK.

My personal rant: It seems that the saying "The sweetest/shyest guy/girl is the most evil one out there" is true... at least it's true in this game. Lucan, at first, seems the sweetest and kindest guy out there. He's gentlemen, he's always taking care of you, he's the embodiment of perfect guy. But later you find out that he is the most coward among all... so coward that in one of the endings, we could call that he's the only person "Super Villain" in the game.
-----------------------------------
@Shioriemei:
The easy way to get into Haru's path:
Just play Kaius path normally until his dad ask whether you love him or not. Simply answer NO ("I have someone else")
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#176 Post by teacup »

Hmm... do you have version one (the original) or version two (the one currently on the front page), Shioriemei? It seems there's still some problems with getting Haruhi for some people, so it still needs fixing, it seems.

Thank you very much for playing, LVUER! :D You gave a lot of good feedback for me to consider in my next game. ^^

Shioriemei
Regular
Completed: Pink Carnations (GXB Otome)

#177 Post by Shioriemei »

LVUER wrote: @Shioriemei:
The easy way to get into Haru's path:
Just play Kaius path normally until his dad ask whether you love him or not. Simply answer NO ("I have someone else")
I did, I keep getting some kinda error message O.o

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#178 Post by Elze »

Kyminara wrote:It's the same kind of bonehead move as the guy in a horror movie who tells the group "Let's split up and search for the killer!!". It's stupid; the audience knows it's stupid; and it's absolutely necessary for getting to the next part of the plot. However, in the horror movie, you don't have anyone saying "Tsk Tsk. You should have called the police instead."
Actually, they do. Usually in a horror movie when some guy tries to play hero, the protagonist or some innocent bystander will try to stop him/her, but fail. Someone will say "it's too dangerous" or "don't be impulsive". And the audience will think "omg that guy's an idiot". At least I do, anyway.

missdeathdaisy

#179 Post by missdeathdaisy »

It wont let me open the traceback T_T I guess I have to type it by hand... :P

While Running game code:
File"game/script.rpy", line 14500, in script
File"game/script/rpy", line 14500 in python
NameError: name 'ending' is not defined

:/ I'm on the windows version, if its any help.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#180 Post by teacup »

For those who get errors: I'll release an updated version of the game this weekend, hopefully bug free. Hold tight until then, please! (Also, try following the walkthrough I posted on my blog to avoid errors, though I'm not sure if Haruhi's path works)