First ever VN project.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
AriaRules!
Regular
Projects: High School, for the Supernatural!
Organization: AriaGames

First ever VN project.

#1 Post by AriaRules! »

Wasn't sure where else to put this :/ But anyway,
I'll start.

E.g:

My first visual novel was about ______________________________________________________________
The main characters, were ___________________________. Was the project dropped? What happened, to it?

My first visual novel project, was a random one where animals and humans roamed the land as equals, and then disaster strikes, and most people are killed. The remaining survivors, flee and have to find a way to... survive.

How bout yours? :)

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: First ever VN project.

#2 Post by MaiMai »

I think Game Maker's corner would be appropriate for this topic. You can request for it to be moved there.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

My first visual novel was "Metropolitan Blues", a VN about a nameless, amnesiac spirit trapped in the streets of Tokyo, searching for his identity.
The main characters were the aforementioned spirit and a young female writer who suffered from writer's block. Both characters meet, and in getting to know each other, they come to grips with their problems.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#4 Post by Crocosquirrel »

My first full VN was 'Mobile Food Madness' for this year's NaNoRenO challenge. It was a light cartoon-style piece in the spirit of the Looney Tunes. Our Protagonist is Nekochan, a little black kitty with a white star on her chest. She's hungry, and the Warden has banished her to a mysterious place, the White after an abortive attempt to get a snack from the table.

Out in the White, she notices food... But it's in a Bath. Can she get it out and stay dry?

Starring Nekochan as Wile E Coyote, and Fishy as the Road Runner, and the ACME catalog for help, can she get her snack on?

This project was finished, and can be found here: http://games.renpy.org/game/mfm.shtml
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#5 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

The first one I did any work on, and the one that got me involved in VNs was 'Under the Cherry Blossoms: Memories of a Dream' which was basically a school life story set in Japan with fantasy elements. It has kind of been dropped for various reasons.

The first one I did work for that got released was 'Don't Take It Personally Babe, It Just Ain't Your Story' which was a NaNoRenO game about the world of social media that I did CGs and other various things for. It exploded into a massive... thing and three people kind of left the forums. Yeah.

I'm hoping my first game that I'm releasing that I am playing a major part in (all the sprites, backgrounds, CGs, logo and animations) 'Break Chance Memento' will be a success. Third time lucky right?
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:The first one I did work for that got released was 'Don't Take It Personally Babe, It Just Ain't Your Story' which was a NaNoRenO game about the world of social media that I did CGs and other various things for. It exploded into a massive... thing and three people kind of left the forums. Yeah.

Third time lucky right?
I would argue that "Don't take it personally, babe..." was already quite a bit of success. It's one of the really memorable VNs out there, and its multi-layered storytelling is absolutely fascinating.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#7 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Taleweaver wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:The first one I did work for that got released was 'Don't Take It Personally Babe, It Just Ain't Your Story' which was a NaNoRenO game about the world of social media that I did CGs and other various things for. It exploded into a massive... thing and three people kind of left the forums. Yeah.

Third time lucky right?
I would argue that "Don't take it personally, babe..." was already quite a bit of success. It's one of the really memorable VNs out there, and its multi-layered storytelling is absolutely fascinating.
Yeah, it was. Just nobody really cared what I did for it T^T Except for maybe the naked pictures of Charlotte...

But it was a good learning experience, especially with the deadlines and working with an art style that wasn't mine.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Applegate »

My first visual novel was about a man's first love, and his reminiscing of it.
The main characters, were the man himself, his first love and a friendly busdriver; those are pretty much all the characters, too. I'd say the man was the real main character, as his story is the only one touched upon and that of the other two is lightly referenced but not explored. Was the project dropped? What happened, to it? I released it. Twice. :)

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#9 Post by SilverxBlue »

My first visual novel, is about a young girl who who has two childhood friends that end up having a huge fight and she doesn't know which side to take.
The main characters are: The girl who is a bit of an introvert, geeky and annoying childhood friend number one, and his cousin, Notorious and childish childhood friend number two... The MC also has a female best friend who'll help her when the fight starts.
It's not really dropped, just on hiatus. ^^; I did manage to release a childhood prologue though. (Which is almost kinda crappy because of my almost non existent programming skills.)

Man, summing up my first VN's plot in one sentence makes it look boring.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by SusanTheCat »

VERY FIRST visual novel was about a guy who's friend has a problem with gambling.
The main characters were the guy and his wife, the friend and his wife. Early On,the guy writing the script decided he didn't want to finish. The placeholder graphics where drawings of my cats :)

The first visual novel I finished was about a girl being haunted in a house.
The main characters were Tara, a young art student; Jason, a young lawyer; Harmony, a talking cat. It is playable, I still want to go back an polish it a bit. It was a NaNoRenO project.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

clannadman

#11 Post by clannadman »

My first visual novel was about the inane nature of life.
The main characters were Man, Woman, Child, Obsessive woman, Murderous father and police investigators.
I finished it and it's called Toketsu.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#12 Post by Fawn »

My first visual novel was about a pink haired cat girl who liked icecream. I made it when I was 15 and it makes me question my intelligence level.

The main characters were Serenade (The cat girl) and the unnamed player character that the catgirl calls "master". The project was hastily made and "finished", with backgrounds from google, no plot and really really crappy art. You can see it here: http://games.renpy.org/game/nekomimi.shtml

I have tried to re-make this game on several occasions, each time it them story becomes more and more bizarre. I currently am working on one of the incarnations of the re-make, which I have gone back to the roots of the story but made it a little more realistic. Also, Serenade is now blonde.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#13 Post by MaiMai »

My first visual novel was about a cynical guy and his chance meeting with a mysterious girl who simply wants company. I called it Phase Shift and it's the only kinetic novel I've ever completed.

The main characters, were Kazuhiko Kawamura (Cynical normal guy with family issues), Ai Thao Kha (mysterious shy girl with incredibly sharp 'perception') and a mysterious red headed man who knows almost too much about them both. It was pretty much an experimental story to test out Ren Py' back in the day. A 'chance meeting' story so to speak.

You can still find the game in the archives and I've been wanting to remake it since forever with updated art and story, but it came to the point where I was making it too complicated and my art improvement kept flying all over the place.

I might remake it again, but maybe after I finish Forest of Noir. I really love the characters and the universe I made from it. It helped me conceptualize other story ideas and characters that I keep near and dear to my heart (and for roleplay purposes haha)

EDIT: http://games.renpy.org/search?q=phase+shift Here it is. Man that sprite art wants to make me gauge my eyes out
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#14 Post by VenusEclipse »

My first visual novel was the prototype of Frozen Essence.

The main characters were a soulless boy and a girl who were freed by their loyal servants. The servants gather life essence for them so the MCs can regain their power before taking over the world! The original story had the heroes from long ago sealing them because they ate the world's life up.

It went through major changes because it was too hard to write. I was only a beginner so I couldn't get the stat raising part to work out with the story, and the whole world and cast of characters were too big.

I shrunk it, took out the male, took out the stat raising part and and revamped the story 50%.

AriaRules!
Regular
Projects: High School, for the Supernatural!
Organization: AriaGames

#15 Post by AriaRules! »

Oh my a maker of frozen essence ^_^ ... Loved your game! xD