A Good Quality Laptop for playing Visual Novel games mostly?

For the rest of your otaku life.
TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Re: A Good Quality Laptop for playing Visual Novel games mos

#16 Post by TsukiShima »

I guess IceD knows her thing. I'm truly sorry, it's just that I'm not a computer nerd and I don't really think it really matters to me, although I guess whatever games you are playing, PC is the best solution since laptop are made to be portable. You can only fill in a few games that you want to play, to save up a few space, you need to install some few things. While you don't need to worry about that much in PC.

Also, why is DirectX9 seems to be very important now? I still don't get it, but I guess I need to have it now considering more games need it to be activate.

IceD
Veteran

#17 Post by IceD »

AxemRed wrote:Also, despite having two cores and a 1.8GHz clock rate, the Atom D525 is one of the slowest processors on the market...
It's only an Atom, so it's clear and simple it can't be compared to most of different CPU's, but despite being on the "end" of the list, it still carries enough power for all the basic requirements of most users... and even a bit more.
HanaMori wrote:...I'm not a computer nerd and I don't really think it really matters to me, although I guess whatever games you are playing, PC is the best solution since laptop are made to be portable. You can only fill in a few games that you want to play, to save up a few space, you need to install some few things. While you don't need to worry about that much in PC.
Nope. What you say could be a truth many years ago, but now that argument seems very invalid. If you say that 250-500GB HDD isn't enough for you, well... I know that as time flies, every single HDD won't be ever enough for more demanding users, but to be honest - I don't see any clear reason for having a 1-2TB HDD in a basic consumer laptop/netbook. A 500GB HDD is more than enough, and if it isn't - you can always install a bigger one. It's not a problem nowadays. Also, while netbooks and laptops were made as a more portable counterparts to PC's, it does not mean they are more inferior to them in terms of basic work-related subjects, only hardcore gaming and proffesional work. Actually, our hobbies aren't that demanding in terms of computing power and this propably won't change. To conclude - for a few times less money you would need to spend on a decent PC rig, you get a good, very mobile, small and lightweight netbook with a very long battery lifetime, that offers you possibilities that aren't generally lesser of such a PC.

It's a jackpot.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#18 Post by LVUER »

That's a good spec with cheap price o_O I guess electronics and computers are indeed cheaper outside my country... Oops, sorry, forgot to say that. I bought my Acer Aspire One for +/- $290 but I bet for those who lives in US/Singapore/Japan or other developed country could buy it at far cheaper price.

As a guide, Wacom Cintiq 21UX is $1.999 in US but cost more than $2.300 in my country.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

AxemRed
Veteran

#19 Post by AxemRed »

IceD wrote:To conclude - for a few times less money you would need to spend on a decent PC rig, you get a good, very mobile, small and lightweight netbook with a very long battery lifetime, that offers you possibilities that aren't generally lesser of such a PC.
"a few times less money"? I find that very hard to believe.

IceD
Veteran

#20 Post by IceD »

Stop making off-topic ;)

Great PC rig costs about 2000$. You can build a decent one for 1200$, but it won't be that powerful. Don't forget you can't take those with you. There's no need to buy a monster PC, if you only want to play visual novels, watch anime and surf the net; netbooks are a great choice in such case.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#21 Post by LVUER »

You could also get a cheaper price if you stick with 14" notebook (it's kinda the standard size). The smaller the display (13" or netbook with 8" to 12" display) the more expensive it is. And the bigger it is (like 15" or 17") it's also more expensive...

Interestingly, the smaller a netbook is, sometimes it gets cheaper... but you won't be comfortable with less than 10" display. Believe me...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

AxemRed
Veteran

#22 Post by AxemRed »

IceD wrote:Great PC rig costs about 2000$. You can build a decent one for 1200$, but it won't be that powerful. Don't forget you can't take those with you.
More like $500 -> decent, $1000 -> great. For $500 you can get a decent quad core with 8GB RAM. A $1000 PC is good enough to play new games on very high graphics settings.
IceD wrote:There's no need to buy a monster PC, if you only want to play visual novels, watch anime and surf the net; netbooks are a great choice in such case.
Visual novels pretty much work on anything made in the last 10 years, same goes for surfing the net (excluding some flash content and some super-flashy websites). Watching HD video is a bit of a gamble, it works as long as decoding can be offloaded to the GPU (requires special software, doesn't support all video formats). If you just want something cheap and don't mind that the performance is like a 5-7 year old PC, get a netbook.