The Garden Society: Kykuit

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Keric
Completed: The Year Without Summer
Projects: Veil
Organization: Lightborne Lore

#136 Post by Keric »

Hey, this is the first Ren'ai game I've ever played, and I'm glad I chose to play it! I've never been interested in this type of game, but after starting to read (and subsequently getting addicted to) Megatokyo, I found myself doing some research. Anyway, great game!

So far, I've gotten the following endings, after playing for 4 or 5 hours straight...heheh...
Ending 1: Vivian (AND Bonus)
Ending 2: Elena (AND Bonus)
Ending 3: Nadine (AND Bonus)
Ending 4: Elena or Vivian?
Ending 5: Vivian vs. Nadine
Ending 6: Nadine and Elena
Ending 8: Lillian Botsford
Try as I might, I just can't seem to get ending 7...but I'll keep at it! Oh yeah, is there a bonus ending for 8?

-Keric

teankun
Regular

#137 Post by teankun »

eclipse wrote: The halfway is when, depending on what you've said, one girl who has the most favorable opinion of you will talk to you without interruption. :)
Is there more than one path to this point? I managed to get to it, but most of the choises I took afterwards led to the infamous "traceback" error. One path (so far) has made all the way the end, however, no matter which lady I choose, I got same result. I will keep trying other sequences since there does seem to be an 8+bonus.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#138 Post by musical74 »

The traceback error is a glitch off of a save - at least, I never got it when I would start from the beginning, but would get it when I was playing off of a saved game. I think there was talk about updating it to the latest version of Ren'Py - or is my memory wrong on this? - that would stop that glitch.

*Wonders if eclispe is going to make a sequel of this?*

Regarding the manga - if someone does do this, you can be assured I'll read it! Lessee...not sure if I like Vivian or Elena better....hmmmm do I go into the *We love Elena* fan club when part of my heart belongs to Vivian? (I seem to get the *Vivian or Elena?* ending the most)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

teankun
Regular

#139 Post by teankun »

It seems that there was no 8+bonus and just one path to 8.

So, what is the likelyhood of a manga?

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#140 Post by rioka »

Re manga:
For now, no plans for it yet. I've got my hands full with BL and soon afterwards - Foxtaile. <.<

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#141 Post by DaFool »

From an experienced mangaka perspective, wouldn't you say that visual novels as a genre are less 'expensive' in the amount you have to draw given a story? I already made my own conclusion, but would like to hear yours.

But of course the more incarnations or the more ways to tell a story the better, but the new mediums should also include new content to be worth it.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#142 Post by rioka »

DaFool wrote:From an experienced mangaka perspective, wouldn't you say that visual novels as a genre are less 'expensive' in the amount you have to draw given a story?
It depends. I've seen games that are very simplistic in style and execution and conversely I've seen those that are highly detailed. It's like comparing the simplicity of a game like Tetris to something more complicated such as Final Fantasy.

Of course, if someone was to make a simple visual novel, it'll be less expensive in effort than someone who made a visually-rich series with extra bells and whistle. Not to mention folks can cheat with photo-backgrounds that they can recycle and churn out much faster than if it was done by hand and/or if it was original.

You also have to consider the length of the project. A game with 2 characters and 5 backgrounds does not equal another with 12 characters, and say 15-20 backgrounds, which does not include special event scenes that appear only one time in the game.

If you're comparing it to manga, it's unfair to call visual novels as being the less expensive because as with visual novels, manga's can be executed as simply or as complex as possible. Manga's have their short-cuts too such as minimalist backgrounds, simplified characters, and ready-made tones (particularly the background ones).

So, yeah, my answer is it depends on the size of the project before I start a massive reply. <.< :P

#143 Post by Guest »

Dongurinoseikurabe wrote:
Otaku Dash wrote:(yes I'm Portuguese..... and if i hear someone telling that Portugal is a province of Spain.... i'll kill him withought mercy :evil: :P )
Portugal....

isn't that like a european mexico

?

:twisted: :twisted:

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#144 Post by musical74 »

Wasn't aware of that, eclispe...sooooo.....does that mean we can just imagine what a GSK manga MIGHT be like?

Noticed something when playing GSK again - hey, great games have to be replayed over and over! - you don't REALLY know what happwned to Authur before he joined the Garden Society, or why he's so withdrawn at the beginning. He did SOMETHING that was newsworthy, but what? And how'd he get into the GS when they don't normally accept members so late in the year? Why is Elena so gosh darn CUTE??? =)

I don't think I mentioned this before, so I'll mention this now...I really liked the fact that all the characters have different personalites, and it's very easy to see that they do. Randel's everywhere - like a whirlwind, if you will - Corus is easygoing, Nadine's a flirt, Vivian's graceful and sweet, Elena's very nice, and Miss B is very helpful...it's great that you were able to have everyone have a different personality like that =)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#145 Post by monele »

Why is Elena so gosh darn CUTE??? =)
Yes, this needs answering ! XD

But yea, it's true that the mystery is still big on a few parts of the story ^^;... Was it planned to give a sequel to the game or... ?

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#146 Post by rioka »

No, it's not spelled out-right what happened but one can speculate... and mysteries and speculation is what makes games even better, don't you think? ;)

I'll quote something from Ending 0 again since it's been awhile and it may have been forgotten:

Code: Select all

"Rio" ".......-----'-- -- - ------!"
:grin:

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#147 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Wow! I love this game! The character designs are great! Especially Vivian. She's my favorite design. The script is good too, and I like the photos you used as the background. Many of them are very, very beautiful to look at. The music was nice as well.

So far I've gotten Endings 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7. The only ending that has eluded me is the special 8th ending. I'm new to Ren'Ai games, so these "Easter Eggs" as I've read confuse me. ^^:;; What are they, exactly?

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#148 Post by musical74 »

hmmmmm never got ending 0...was that an easter egg as well? And how do I get it?

Easter eggs are things the programmer <or artist, or coder> stick in a game that have either nothing at all to do with the game or don't affect the game much. They are little things stuck in there for the sake of being stuck in there, and are kind of rewards in a sense for finding little secrets about the game....uh eclispe? Can you help explain what easter eggs are?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#149 Post by mikey »

Well, actually... maybe it's really time to lift the secret, I'd be glad to hear some names... *hint, hint* :?

SolarSnake

just played

#150 Post by SolarSnake »

Hi,

I recently downloaded and played GSK. I guess that I'm pretty unusual in the VN community in that I'm not interested in trying to get the different endings, but in making the decisions which fit me and enjoying where that goes.

Anyhow, I enjoyed GSK. I really liked the character art and the backgrounds. I also liked the music and the timing of the music. :)

I thought that the characterization of the various people was interesting; I especially thought it interesting how much was implied about Vivian without it being spelled out &mdash; her merely showing up for a moment was expressive. Obviously, we don't learn all that much about her (at least in the path through the game that I took, in which I ended up with Vivian), but I also really like how she's not just pretty, but also intelligent (and not just crafty). I especially liked that her fan club followed her around for her (interesting) personality as well as her looks.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." —Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar"