To The Moon [Commercial Adventure Game] - Released!

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

To The Moon [Commercial Adventure Game] - Released!

#1 Post by Coren »

Try it here: http://www.freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/

Synopsis:

Dr. Eva Rosalene and Dr. Neil Watts have rather peculiar jobs:

They give people another chance to live. Literally.

There exists a technology that allows doctors to weave artificial memories, such that a patient can request attempts to alter their mind, and wake up with memories of things that didn't actually happen.

However, since these new memories are permanent, the conflict between them and the existing authentic memories clash in such a way that it ceases the person's ability to properly function.

Thus, the operation is only done to people on their deathbeds, to fulfill what they wish they had done with their lives. . . but didn't.

The technology requires the doctors to step into the memories of the patient, which are reconstructed as interactive scenes. The doctors then gradually traverse backwards through memories of the patient's life until they reach childhood -- at which point, the wish of the patient in present time would be transferred over.

Along with the doctors' influence, the patient (as a child) could then lead an entire different life inside their head, working toward and fulfilling their dying wish themselves.

And if all goes well, they would wake up, having lived the dream life they never had, and embrace a brief moment of blissful fulfillment.

Shortly after, they'd draw their last breath.

This particular story follows Dr. Rosalene and Dr. Watts' attempt to fulfill the dream of the dying elderly man, Johnny. In their mission to do so, they traverse backwards through the man’s memories, unfolding his curious life story before their eyes.

With each step back in time, a new fragment of Johnny's past is revealed. And as the two doctors piece together the puzzled events that spanned a life time, they seek to find out just why the frail old man chose his dying wish to be what it is.

And Johnny's last wish is, of course. . . to go to the moon.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: To The Moon [Commercial Adventure Game] - Released!

#2 Post by azureXtwilight »

First time opening... SO BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks for telling us!

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

#3 Post by ScottySeng »

Wow, your trailer is beautiful. Music is superb, and the story seems very creative and touching.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#4 Post by ririruetoo »

Amazing! I'm totally going to buy this when I get money!!
ImageImageImage

therealrose
Regular

#5 Post by therealrose »

The trailer is so cool! I wish I could buy this game but I'm out of money. :(

Crusher
Regular

#6 Post by Crusher »

Bought it the moment I heard about it and played until a little bit after Act 1 until now. A review already said Act 1 is pretty weak and mostly for introduction of the characters, so I guess I still have the sad parts before me.

However, the humor so far is pretty great. FREE PONIES IN SPACE! Alt+Tab - a life saver :D. I really love stupid jokes like that and especially like Watts because of it.

Wonderful soundtrack, great mood overall as well. I especially like the scenes from the childhood/teenager time because it has some kind of special feeling I just don't get from adult scenes. Maybe it's because everything is still kind of dreamy during that time.

Anyway, maybe I'll write a little bit more once I'm finished with it :).

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#7 Post by Coren »

Really? I personally found Act 1 really quite powerful, especially with its backward way of storytelling - it allows for really a lot of place for you to speculate before you find out the truth in Act 3. :)

lunanight

#8 Post by lunanight »

absolutely loved this game!!!!! it has been one of the best games I've played so far! it really moved my heart and even had a few tears escaping my eyes. Very deep special story!
"I might break or I might wither. But right now, in your arms, I bloom like a flower..."

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#9 Post by azureXtwilight »

One of the best game I've ever played so far. Thanks for telling us about this :)

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by try10 »

Amazing! I loved it!! So original! I think there should be more games like this that make u cry while u r playing them. :)

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by HigurashiKira »

try10 wrote:Amazing! I loved it!! So original! I think there should be more games like this that make u cry while u r playing them. :)
There are, especially in visual novels
That trailer made me misty-eyed. It looks great...
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

frederic09
Regular
Projects: La Valse des Saisons (The Season's dance) - 0.03% done

#12 Post by frederic09 »

it was amazing, i even cried. I know i'm a little bit extremely emotional sometimes, but i think the "happy end" well was a little out of place, but it's really a game you should play as long as you're alive :D
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

My first VN project : The Season's Dance (the title might change). More info soon.

Crusher
Regular

#13 Post by Crusher »

frederic09 wrote:it was amazing, i even cried. I know i'm a little bit extremely emotional sometimes, but i think the "happy end" well was a little out of place, but it's really a game you should play as long as you're alive :D
Happy end? I mean, it's all just in his head. In reality she is already dead without him noticing what she wanted to tell him all the time (with her rabbits). And in reality they had a huge distance between them they couldn't overcome (he talked about that problem with his friend pretty early in the game). It's quite the opposite of a happy end when you think about it. All the beauty is nothing but a wish that was never fulfilled.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by try10 »

Umm...I really wonder if this game has only one ending or more. From my point of view I think the ending that I got was good.

This game has choices so that is why I was woudering at the endings.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by gekiganwing »

I was rather surprised to see that To the Moon got mentioned on IGN. The site usually discusses the sort of relatively mainstream games which get full retail releases, and which sell millions based on name recognition and advertising.