The hardest but addicting game you ever played

For the rest of your otaku life.
Meg'
Regular
Projects: Anges Démoniaques, Gang (Alex & Hugo), Le passé dans les veines

Re: The hardest but addicting game you ever played

#16 Post by Meg' »

Humm... The Zeldas game.

I remember the ones that are on game boy, oracle of season and oracle of age (if I remember the name correctly)
Tokimeki Memorial 1st and 2nd (not that hard but really addictive indeed :lol: )

Zatch
Regular
Projects: Omega(Current), Dragon Souls, Cheer on!

#17 Post by Zatch »

Legend of Zelda is time consuming! I'm still stuck in Link's awakening.. need 5 more instruments(Dam it!!!)

@ All

Thanks for sharing!

D'd'D
Regular
Completed: Memories
Projects: WoUC, Itsuki

#18 Post by D'd'D »

The hardest for me is MegaMan Zero 2. My hand isn't made for action games.. I'm only good when it comes to RPG.
Also, the hardest in NDS console for me is Etrian Odyssey II. Try it and you'll see why.. (it's a RPG, my goodness..)
My world lies inside of me.
There's a world inside of you, too.

MoPark
Regular
Projects: Kangaroo, Terminal Love

#19 Post by MoPark »

Zatch wrote:Legend of Zelda is time consuming! I'm still stuck in Link's awakening.. need 5 more instruments(Dam it!!!)
Man I've gotten so pro at that game. I once started it on a flight across the Atlantic, and beat it in a couple of hours, with plenty of time to spare (which I spent playing Oracle of Ages because I'm obsessed with Zelda)

This isn't the hardest game I've played, but Metroid Prime. The only difficulty was the controls. It's impossible to move and aim at the same time, and the game got challenging enough later on that I couldn't continue it thanks to that.

Other difficult ones I'd say are I Want To Be The Guy, Adventure of Link, Metroid, a good deal of Touhou games on their highest difficulty...

SvenTheViking
Regular
Projects: Chronicles of the Timetraveler's Wars
Organization: ProgMan Productions; Polymorphic Games

#20 Post by SvenTheViking »

Hmmm.... Going in order of era, the first ones were Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64. Both games still give me considerable trouble on that console.

After that, there was Half-Life, and then Half-Life 2, then Portal (episodes 1 & 2 and Portal 2 were just as addictive, but I didn't get the same level of challenge out of them that I did the others).

Right now, Grief Syndrome, a dojin game from the Puella Magi Madoka Magica universe. That game is HARD on the higher levels. Then again, at the point at which I'm playing it, it is meant for 3 players working together, and I'm doing it solo (as I don't have anyone with whom to play it, as last I checked it only supports local players (no net play))...
"Be not afraid of greatness: some men are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
William Shakespeare, "Twelfth Night"

Enigma
Veteran

#21 Post by Enigma »

Guilty Gear! I thought I was good when I beat the computer on Maniac difficulty, then I played a friend from Dustloop, and got totally owned. I was even playing a higher teired character (Jam in B teir, Sol in C teir). then he told me that he thinks he's one of the sucky players, and I got real scared. Also Blazbule, but it's a million times easier, of course my friend from dustloop is a BILLION times better at BB (the Fuurinkazan theme still makes me wet myself), and again I'm higher teired than him (Jin=A, Bang=2nd worst in the whole game) not to mention Jin is Bang's worst match up. Seriously, the difficulty comes from playing someone who's been training for his first major tournement for a while, an essentially being a punching bag.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#22 Post by Destiny »

I'm pretty good at games but two games just hate me:
1)
ICO
Seriously, why does this girl have to be stolen EVERY DAMN TIME I OPEN A F*****ING DOOR?!

2)
Eternal Darkness
Kind of cool. Taken that you have the god of magic against you. The god of strengh will take you life energy by simply making you be seen by his creatures... And the god of sanity will make you run in circles, not knowing if you are dying just now or just having the 5832 hallucination.
By the moment the game goes black, saying it can't find an source of image while you hear your character dying...you know you will cry many tears of insanity during play...
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#23 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

I have a few.

1) Donkey Kong Country 2. Very hard to beat (specially when going for the true ending) but very addictive.
2) Persona 2 IS and EP. Demon contact ends up frustrating you and yet you keep trying.
3) Monster Hunter Tri. Some armor/weapon items just won't drop unless you try for hours. Dying in the last minutes of the hunt sucks too (Chaca, help me dammit!).
4) Prince of Persia,any of the ps2 titles. The situation from "Prince of Awesome"(google it if you are curious) countless times, and yet, I kept trying.
5) Final Fantasy XII. Getting my ass kicked during Mark hunting and still going back for it.
6) SMT Strange Journey. Died LOTS of times at very bad moments. Beaten the game with a lot of effort.

SleepKirby
Veteran
Projects: Eastern Starlight Romance, Touhou Mecha
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

#24 Post by SleepKirby »

Oh, this is actually a bit of an old topic, but why not.
I don't really seek out hard games, but a couple stand out to me:

(1) F-Zero GX. It's an amazing and incredibly deep racing game. It has a fairly steep learning curve, and the story mode is infamous for its difficulty (Chapter 7, anyone?) - even when it gets frustrating, though, the graphics, music, and adrenaline just keep me going.

Even after clearing story mode and beating the time attack staff ghosts, there's a ridiculous amount of depth left in this game if you continue to work on your times. I'm just barely in the top 50 of the max speed rankings. I pretty much know what the leaders are doing, but the top strategies for pretty much every track are absolutely insane, as the large time gaps in some of the rankings will attest to.

One of the more notable techniques is an edge boost. If you drive your car off the edge of the track and then immediately drive back on, you can get quite a large boost of speed. This can save obscene amounts of time in some stages, but every time you attempt an edge boost, you're obviously risking falling off the track and ending your run.

(2) Shoot the Bullet (Touhou 9.5). The Touhou series in general is really hard for me since I'm not good at shmups, but Shoot the Bullet kept me going a decent bit longer than the other Touhou games. The stage-by-stage format is pretty addicting, and there's not too much pressure while playing because the stages are so short. Again, though, it is very difficult for a non-shmup person like me. Some of the scenes took me hours to finally clear (and others, hours to not clear), though I managed to unlock Extra after keeping at it for a while, and I'm pretty happy about that.

Luxtizer42
Projects: Zero Impact

#25 Post by Luxtizer42 »

I Wanna be the Guy, hands down. Took me close to a year to finish it, but I kept at it anyways.

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Showsni »

Oh, F Zeo GX. I'd cleared msot of the single player, and then my memory card got wiped. Have to do everything all over again! Yes, that game was hard.

I'm not sure there are too many games I associate with being very hard and addictive. Maybe trying to get a really good score in Robot Unicorn Attack...

Yakkety
Regular
Projects: Undead Chronicles

#27 Post by Yakkety »

Ninja Gaiden 2 on the Xbox 360...

Until today, because today I bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for my PSVita, and damn it is fucking hard, but so much fun :D

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#28 Post by Obscura »

I didn't even attempt Ninja Gaiden.

I wrote about it on my blog the other day, but I can tell you Dead Or Alive Volleyball was one of the most FRUSTRATING games I've ever played.
1) Spend a bunch of hours acquiring money to buy a million dollar swimsuit
2) Give to the girl you are trying to befriend
3) Have her trash it the next morning
4) Rinse and repeat.

Sadly I'm sure I put over 80 hours into this masochistic enterprise.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#29 Post by LVUER »

Obscura wrote:I didn't even attempt Ninja Gaiden.

I wrote about it on my blog the other day, but I can tell you Dead Or Alive Volleyball was one of the most FRUSTRATING games I've ever played.
1) Spend a bunch of hours acquiring money to buy a million dollar swimsuit
2) Give to the girl you are trying to befriend
3) Have her trash it the next morning
4) Rinse and repeat.

Sadly I'm sure I put over 80 hours into this masochistic enterprise.
This is totally not something I would do in RL, especially the part where I have to spend million of dollars only to buy a piece of bikini for a girl.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Duendain
Regular
Completed: A fair few.
Organization: LiU

#30 Post by Duendain »

Uhm. Eve Online. Yep. I like spaceships. I love the complexity in the game. I do say it's not for everyone though, not on a long shot.
Otherwise It might be Shogun 2.